Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    After the demise of one or any number of trees there is always a "natural interregnum" period, during which plants that have been "in suspension" owning to lack of sufficient light exposure during the growth season suddenly spring into life. At the same time, previously stunted types (such as the spindly rowans and other types that seem fated not to grow much under the canopy) undergo accelerated growth. For any woodland frequenter, the disappointment associated with the passing of mature trees can be offset by the appearance of much greater diversity that has been suspended - not just flora but associated fauna. The, ahem, natural order is not going to "object" to people who behold this apparent miracle of regeneration coming in to plant the odd Xmas tree and saying a prayer or two to the Great Wood Spirit, while festooning it with pagan trinkets from Grandma's treasurebox* - or, better still, a robust native species!

*That happened in Essex - probably not appropriate to attribute such bewitchery to the good folk of Surrey!
    Yes, can I say that I walk rather than cavort and am always suitably attired. The experience though is definitely spiritual. Incidentally, there is only one other person who has spent many hours at night in those woods. His name is Ray Mears.

S-A - I walked for 10 miles in the daytime on the North Downs Way recently. It was with a mate who I hadn't seen for two years. Frankly, I was surprised I could still walk that far and was pleased that I could. We stopped at a point half way between Box Hill and Merstham - I guess we were north of Reigate - and there was no sight of a building or another person. I said "could you live here?" And he said "nah, too remote". I just thought how incredible. There were 30,000 people only two miles down the footpath.
    Last edited by Guest; 15-11-12, 16:09.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      Yes, can I say that I walk rather than cavort and am always suitably attired.
      Images of Oliver Reed ripping off his clothes then rolling in the bracken in "Women in Love" spring uninvited to mind!

The experience though is definitely spiritual.
      Eastern spiritual traditions(as opposed imo to "religions") such as Zen and Taoism place great store by woodlands and forests - well, wildernesses in general - as of course did Thoreau - as being places in which we can experience whom we really are: that balance of rationality and intuition seldom considered in our Western traditions which stress separation and inner supression.

Incidentally, there is only one other person who has spent many hours at night in those woods. His name is Ray Mears.
      Hmm - used to admire and respect Mr Mears... until I saw him on a chat show, when a right-wing, almost "survivalist" agenda (as in US back-to-the-desert politics) unexpectly emerged...

Comment

• Simon

but I frequently walk through woodland at 3am in the morning to feel calm and am more at ease there than during the daytime.
        Wow Lat! There are a lot of country people who wouldn't do that! Some people seem to fear woods and prefer to be in the open.

But I'm with you on this one, especially as regards deciduous woodland which I find very friendly, (especially the big four of oak, ash, sycamore and beech) but I don't feel the same about evergreen woods, and that ominous stillness of pine woods or that "semi-woodland" where there are lots of undershrubs like laurel I find oppressive, and so does Rachael. In fact, we really don't like laurel at all, for some reason. Willows by the rivers are glorious too, though, and the massive horse-chestnuts (which never seem to grow in woods or groups but are generally lone trees) are to my mind the best of all.

::::::::::

As regards the general comment, I'm glad that some have taken it up and looked further. Round here, as yet we don't seem to have a big problem, but apparently it won't be till spring that we shall know for sure.

The powers that be seem to be taking things more seriously, anyway, though there is as usual with these things a spectrum of views as to what's best to do.

bws to all

S-S!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

S-A - I don't remember that one. He was better in the films with Stan Laurel.

Remember that Ray Mears was living in Croydon South. I am permitted residency because I was born here but generally you have to be a lifelong Conservative or for UKIP.

Simon, you were writing 'laurel' as I was writing 'Laurel'. I think I would feel differently in those huge Northumbrian planted forests at night. And I agree with all of your comments. Perhaps some country folk look for people while some suburbanites seek space.
          Last edited by Guest; 15-11-12, 16:30.

Comment

• Simon

Simon, you were writing 'laurel' as I was writing 'Laurel'.
            Indeed. Ting!

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I thought some well-grown ash trees near here weren't looking too healthy - the leaves were not changing colour so much as developing black spots.

However I realised that I didn't really know what happened top ash trees in autumn.

Anyway, these are the symptoms we should be looking for.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

Healthy ash tree leaves go gradually yellow in the autumn, then either fall, or shrivel to pale brown on the tree and then fall. If they shrivel and go black still hanging on the tree, get a bit worried and have a look for lesions (patches of shrunken dead bark) further down the stem. If you are in doubt,, or sure there are lesions, call the Forestry Commission. Dont panic, ash might get some already-known leaf disease that causes black spots in the autumn, but my few remaining reference books do not suggest one, so call an expert.

Comment

Working...
                X