Two years ... and still no investigation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Sherratt

Is ' Bakewell Tart ' acceptable ?

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
      Certainly not, Paul. For purists say that such a concoction is simply a commercial perversion of the Original Pudding.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        Thank you. I'm aware of how banter works on here and engage in it myself regularly enough.

I have now considered your comment and decided, rightly or wrongly, whether or not to accept it at face value.
        I think it would have been more helpful, Simon, if you had made it perfectly clear what you had in mind with this thread rather than resort to innuendo, then there would have been something to discuss.

The result has been that there hasn't been one completely on topic reply because we don't know what you're implying.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>>Perversion of the Original Pudding.

Ok, thanks, Pud.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
            My view is there's no almond it...

Comment

• handsomefortune

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              My post was sent in the same spirit of banter as is regularly exchanged between myself, Ams, Calum da jazbo, salymap, Anna, handsomefortune, and others too numerous to list, and accepted as such.
              come to mention it, you do 'troll' (whatever that actually means....it's a bit subjective)? a tiny bit actually, ....about serialism.....and maybe vaughan williams ....and kenny wheeler!

it never occurs to me that posts i find unappealing are from 'trolls' tbh. more that personally i just don't find them of interest, or disagree..... but that's life!

but imo you, serial apologist, are a very unlikely candidate as a 'troll' ....if you are one, you are absolutely rubbish at it, and have presumably long since given up. or, are an extremely apathetic troll perhaps?!

either that, or simon is just mistaken, maybe got out of bed the wrong side? or has the devil on his back for halloween perhaps? or this particular week, with its beautiful big full moon, perhaps we are all under hypnosis and just don't realise as yet? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gr...%A9ctrica2.jpg

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I think it would have been more helpful, Simon, if you had made it perfectly clear what you had in mind with this thread rather than resort to innuendo, then there would have been something to discuss.

The result has been that there hasn't been one completely on topic reply because we don't know what you're implying.
                I see. Sorry. Well, I hoped that people would read the article and comment on it.

It's clear that it's an important issue for the Greeks, but I think also in general, for issues like the freedom of the press to investigate corruption at the highest level. We take it for granted, and inded they can go too far! - but as we all know there are many places where this freedom doesn't exist.

That the place where democracy was apparently first mooted could be a party to the jailing of a newspaper editor for this kind of story was, I think, part of the reason that it attracted such wide attention and it's good that this won't happen. But equally, it raises an important point about power - the argument that regardless of what "party" or agenda those in power purport to support, when it comes down to money those at the top are all the same. Out for themselves. This isn't an argument that I would necessarily support in blanket terms, but I'm well enough aware of how corruption works, and in the Greek case there seems to be no apparent good reason why the names on the list were not, if only cursorily, investigated. That none of them has used the system to evade tax is hard to believe.

My own work takes me to Switzerland quite a lot, and I've mentioned before in the past that, scenery apart, I'm always glad to get out of it. So the link between Swiss banks and this kind of possible sleaze doesn't surprise me. My comment that I think there's more to come out of this stands: I think, though I may be quite wrong, that somebody will break cover, or at least a more serious aspect will arise in due course.

Whatever, it's an interesting story to me, at any rate!

Comment

• Anna

My own work takes me to Switzerland quite a lot
                  And, have they finally seen sense, Simon?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                    come to mention it, you do 'troll' (whatever that actually means....it's a bit subjective)? a tiny bit actually, ....about serialism.....and maybe vaughan williams ....and kenny wheeler!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuw!!!

Some Lovely Dancing :)Featured:Rita HayworthFred AstaireGene KellyCyd CharisseAva GardnerSophia LorenDeborah KerrCary GrantGinger RogersKatharine HepburnJimm...

Comment

• Simon

I'm really sorry that I haven't grasped your reference. But you appear to have made S-A happy, so that's a positive at any rate.

Comment

• Anna

I'm really sorry that I haven't grasped your reference. But you appear to have made S-A happy, so that's a positive at any rate.
                          Oh, myriad apologies Simon, was it not you that started the old R3 MB thread about Switzerland having common sense about Minarets and knocking them down or refusing planning? If so, apologies and who was it.
                          Yes, if I make S_A happy, that's ok. He's ok. If he's ok, then I am ok.
                          Billie Holiday singing, "I'll Be Seeing You," recorded "live" at her November 10, 1956 Carnegie Hall Concert.

Comment

• Simon

Oh, myriad apologies Simon, was it not you that started the old R3 MB thread about Switzerland having common sense about Minarets and knocking them down or refusing planning? If so, apologies and who was it.
                            I haven't a clue; I only vaguely recall the topic. But no need to apologize for anything, although I'm still not sure what you think they should have seen sense about...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

One goes away, one returns, & one finds that nothing much changes.

So comforting.

Except that I find, on another thread, that Mr Pee has returned!
                              Last edited by Flosshilde; 03-11-12, 00:30. Reason: shock

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                My post was sent in the same spirit of banter as is regularly exchanged between myself, Ams, Calum da jazbo, salymap, Anna, handsomefortune, and others too numerous to list, and accepted as such.
                                Only just seen this S_A

Comment

Working...
                                X