X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    and complex lens wearers also get NHS vouchers towards the cost of the spectacles. Do the complex lens wearers in England who have posted here not get any financial help with the cost?
    Just a free eye test due to family history of glaucoma,every little helps I suppose.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
      I think they'd be equally dreadful! And a well known Scottish public school didn't do too well in producing the penultimate labour PM. It just seems to me, and I suspect many others, that after a brief flirtation with Head Teeth and thatch - neither very successful - the tories have returned to their self-perpetuating oligarchical system of coming up with prime ministers. That is something, imho, without which we could well do.
      But then is there not a very real and ever-present risk that the wrong people might end up in power regardless not only of what the electorate decides but also of what school each individual MP attended?

Jonathan Powell - the pianist, composer and scholar, that is, not the ex-Bliar sidekick(!) - was educated at Eton; why would I or anyone else hold that against him? (even though he's never harboured an ambition to be prime minister)...

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        But then is there not a very real and ever-present risk that the wrong people might end up in power regardless not only of what the electorate decides but also of what school each individual MP attended?

Jonathan Powell - the pianist, composer and scholar, that is, not the ex-Bliar sidekick(!) - was educated at Eton; why would I or anyone else hold that against him? (even though he's never harboured an ambition to be prime minister)...
        I wouldn't hold the school they attended against anyone. After all, they probably had no say in the matter.

I just think the country might be better run if it was run by people who had some inklings about life in the real world, and not by people who were fortunate enough to be born with several silver spoons in their mouths.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I see your point about the Eton boys, but I do hope you wouldn't deny us the chance of ceasing to be governed by them. Given that, as you say, the toerags will have a much better chance of winning elections without Scotland, it seems rather perverse of them to be so keen to hang on to us!
          "yikes indeed"
          Please don't vote for Scottish independence and leave us to the mercy of complete idiots like Michael Gove.

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            Would a government of old Harrovians seem better to you? - or one comprising a majority of ex-Roedean girls or Cheltenham ladies?
            Delete: ...Cheltenham ladies. They're now: ...ladies from Cheltenham Independent Co-educational College.
            Last edited by Guest; 29-10-12, 22:45. Reason: clarify

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

I wouldn't hold the school they attended against anyone. After all, they probably had no say in the matter.

I just think the country might be better run if it was run by people who had some inklings about life in the real world, and not by people who were fortunate enough to be born with several silver spoons in their mouths.
              The people at the top have NO intention of running the country better.
              Its all going very well, what with an increasing share of wealth and income, a nice new train line being built to visit the estate on, and keeping the best roads for themselves.

Sorry, bit political..back to specs, one option in the old NHS / Shostakovich days was to strip off the plastic from the frames , and hey bungo......John Lennons !!!
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                "yikes indeed"
                Please don't vote for Scottish independence and leave us to the mercy of complete idiots like Michael Gove.
                Ah. Gove. Born in Edinburgh, brought up in Aberdeen. However, we've got shot of him now, and we don't want him back! As we have our own education system, we have no need of him, thank you very much.

You say he's a complete idiot, but I'm not so sure. I think his brain's missing.

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Oh, I see - those kind of spectacles!!

Been to Visionexpress for ages but after a disagreement decided to patronize my local optician. New prescription (bifocals) in my own rimless frame: £280. Gulp!! - Went on the internet using the new prescription and bought a pair of varifocals (mandatory 2nd pair for flying) and a pair of single vision glasses (for computer) for around £250. Wasn't sure getting varifocals on the web would work - but struck lucky.
                  My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Ah. Gove. Born in Edinburgh, brought up in Aberdeen. However, we've got shot of him now, and we don't want him back! As we have our own education system, we have no need of him, thank you very much.
                    aaah the "curriculum for excellence"

Not exactly as good as it says on the tin in my experience
                    but no-ones is and at least you don't have Gove but feel free to take him back as soon as you can
                    as we really don't want his daft ideas .............

there is a thing that some people in Scotland assume that what they have is automatically "better" than the rest of the UK
                    education being one example
                    but try buying vegetables

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      aaah the "curriculum for excellence"

Not exactly as good as it says on the tin in my experience
                      but no-ones is and at least you don't have Gove but feel free to take him back as soon as you can
                      as we really don't want his daft ideas .............

there is a thing that some people in Scotland assume that what they have is automatically "better" than the rest of the UK
                      education being one example
                      but try buying vegetables
                      Well, don't blame the Scots for quite naturally assuming that ...

Hardly a day goes by when we hear of some superior 'new' practice proposed for folk south of the border and to be assured by its proponents that something similar has been running successfully in Scotland for donkeys years.

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                        Well, don't blame the Scots for quite naturally assuming that ...

Hardly a day goes by when we hear of some superior 'new' practice proposed for folk south of the border and to be assured by its proponents that something similar has been running successfully in Scotland for donkeys years.
                        How true, how true!

While we're here, can anyone please explain what Mr GG's comment about buying vegetables (#72) has to do with the price of herring?

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Still no comments or discussion from this forum's intelligent members about about fees paid for professional eye examinations.
                          Odd

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Pilot flying around in 'varifocals' bought on the net.

" Gulp!! "

Comment

• Osborn

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                              Still no comments or discussion from this forum's intelligent members...
                              I think one lost his glasses. took a train to Brighton and is nearing Vladivostok; and the other can't read the screen because he sat on his and can only see sideways.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                                Still no comments or discussion from this forum's intelligent members about about fees paid for professional eye examinations.
                                Blind, pig-ignorant and intellectually-devoid threads about the fees paid for professional eye examinations can certainly have their merits ...

Comment

Working...
                                X