X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Spectacles

I recently had my annual eye test at my regular opticians after the successful completion of surgery and the settling down of my eyes. I have had complex lens for many years which does bump up the cost but even so I was staggered to be told that the estimated cost for a new pair of glasses would be over £400. My previous pair cost around £250 in 2007 and this new cost seems grossly exorbitant to me.

I am in a full-time job but even so find this excessive and suspect there is a huge mark-up. What experience have other spectacle wearing forumites had?
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

£500 two years ago for a pair of bifocals and a pair of reading specs. Neither entirely satisfactory.

I expect they will be more now.Sorry, don't know what forumites are

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I recently had my annual eye test at my regular opticians after the successful completion of surgery and the settling down of my eyes. I have had complex lens for many years which does bump up the cost but even so I was staggered to be told that the estimated cost for a new pair of glasses would be over £400. My previous pair cost around £250 in 2007 and this new cost seems grossly exorbitant to me.

I am in a full-time job but even so find this excessive and suspect there is a huge mark-up. What experience have other spectacle wearing forumites had?
      As one who has worn spectacles for all but the first couple of years or so of his life, I have to admit that, although my lenses are also somewhat complex and I always go for the kinds of photochromics that let in as little back-reflected light as possible, the price that you're having to pay for a single pair of spectacles is less than what I've been shelling out just for each pair of lenses for quite some years now; I've not changed frames for quite a while because of this immense cost. I cannot get on with varifocals at all, so I have to have two pairs, one for distance and one for close work, which also bumps up the overall cost quite horrifyingly.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

I know the feeling Petrushka,I too need complex glasses and paid £440.00 about a year ago.They did throw in 'free' prescription sunglasses though.

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by salymap View Post
          £500 two years ago for a pair of bifocals and a pair of reading specs. Neither entirely satisfactory.

I expect they will be more now.Sorry, don't know what forumites are
          Hi salymap ...I think you'll find you're a forumite - as am I - as are Caliban, Anna, Ammy, mercia and all other contributors.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

i am a speccy four eyes also.had lovely NHS black rims as a kid..or cool Shostakovich's as I now realise they are !!
            First job, first splash out was gas permeable contact lenses. Just wonderful. Playing cricket , rainy days, punk gigs... all so much better.

These days I would need reading glasses on top, but for my last replacement pair they did a clever trick where they under power one eye, do that distance is just a fraction below perfect, but you can still read well.Magic.
            A new pair with eye test is a bit short of £200....seems quite cheap compared to the specs quoted above.

I LOVE my contact lenses, one of the few benefits of modern life with no obvious down side.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
              I cannot get on with varifocals at all, so I have to have two pairs, one for distance and one for close work, which also bumps up the overall cost quite horrifyingly.
              My optician is telling me that I, too, will need two pairs in the very near future and sense already that he will be right but am putting it off as long as possible. Due to the complexity of my lens varifocals are not an option. I've worn spectacles since I was three in 1957 and have been going to the same optician (changed hands once) ever since.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

I am in denial

Comment

• johnb
                  • Mar 2007

£10 reading glasses from Waitrose.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

not too many views for this thread...
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Reminds me of and old joke.

A Polish guy walks in to specsavers and the optician says to him "can you read the bottom line on that board ?"
                      The Polish guy says "can I read it ? I know him".

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        Sorry, don't know what forumites are
                        Anyone who joins in this Forum! (I like to call us "Forumistas" as it sounds a bit subversive! )
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          ...had lovely NHS black rims as a kid..or cool Shostakovich's as I now realise they are !!
                          Same here. Indeed, photographs of me in my earlier years bear an uncanny resemblance to the young Shostakovich. The likeness has diminished slightly as I've got older but not by all that much.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            i am a speccy four eyes also.had lovely NHS black rims as a kid..or cool Shostakovich's as I now realise they are !!
                            Same here. Indeed, photographs of me in my earlier years bear an uncanny resemblance to the young Shostakovich. The likeness has diminished slightly as I've got older but not by all that much.
                            Exhibit A: see above left!!
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                              Reminds me of and old joke.

A Polish guy walks in to specsavers and the optician says to him "can you read the bottom line on that board ?"
                              The Polish guy says "can I read it ? I know him".
                              I ROFLed

Comment

Working...
                              X