X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heliocentric

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    1% more than me
    Damn, how did you manage that? I guess I shouldn't have answered that Iran should be obliterated.

Comment

• amateur51

That's 1% more than me
      but I do wonder how folk in the UK even KNOW about some of the policy details
      so MRPee
      tell us about the "Patriot act" for example ?
      I'd guess that MrPee would think that the Patriot Act was part of Elgar's oeuvre

Comment

• Budapest

That's 1% more than me
        so MRPee
        tell us about the "Patriot act" for example ?

in the words of Mr Bowie and Metheny ????
        It started with The Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF), a resolution that was signed into law by George W. Bush on 18th September 2001. The AUMF granted the President the authority to use all “necessary and appropriate force” against those whom he determined “planned, authorized, committed or aided” the September 11th attacks. This resolution was perfectly understandable in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. The problem was, the vague wording of the AUMF gave the US Government just about limitless powers without any real checks and balances.

Next we have the Patriot Act, which was signed into law by George W. Bush on 26th October 2001. The Patriot Act took The Authorization for Use of Military Force one stage further by including ‘domestic terrorism’. Amongst other things it gave the US Government sweeping powers to spy on its own citizens, including the ability to search telephone, e-mail, and bank records without a court order.

Then the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) 2007, which overturned the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878. Posse Comitatus was passed to prevent US military personnel from acting as law enforcement agents in the United States. Part of Section 1076 of The NDAA 2007 says: The President may employ the armed forces to restore public order and enforce the laws of the United States when, as a result of a natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition the President determines.

This goes on and on, so I'll stop with The NDAA 2012, which allows for the indefinite detention of American citizens without trial.

Granted, you have to be a bit of a legal eagle to get all this stuff. Point is, they are all laws that have been passed in the USA in the last decade (and there are many others, but I'm trying to keep this simple).Civil liberties for Americans have been suspended over the last decade. America is now a police state. That's a fact.

If you don't believe me, go look-up just some of the laws I've cited here.

And exactly the same thing is happening in Britain (a corporate police state take-over).

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          I'd guess that MrPee would think that the Patriot Act was part of Elgar's oeuvre

Wasn't it his Opera ?

and yes Mr Budapest we ALL can use the internet (well some of us anyway !)

Egészségedre (Unicum)

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

You could ask for the substitute questions which made things clearer. 'Fraid I was 4% Republican, but 93% with Jill Stein, 49% with American electorate.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I've managed to get my Republican score down to 0%. Jill Stein is still shown as the candidate I agree with most, but on parties the Democrats have just squeaked past the Greens (97% agst 96%).

(You see, I did know the right answers really )
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                In the last few weeks, Mitt Romney has manage to overcome several handicaps (the least of which is probably his own ridiculous first name) to emerge as the USA's next Chief Executive.

Of course, there are things to dread about a Romney Presidency: what I am dreading the most is the wailing drivel emanates from all liberal organs whenever a conservative is elected to any form of high office.

wail wail drivel drivel

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                  Of course, there are things to dread about a Romney Presidency: what I am dreading the most is the wailing drivel emanates from all liberal organs whenever a conservative is elected to any form of high office.
                  Fortunately, as of last night, there's no need to worry about this for the next 4 years. However, given the fact that the current US media was pretty much in the tank for Romney, the "wailing drivel" characterization rings totally incorrect. Romney told so many lies and got away with so much, not least insulting the city of London pre-Olympics, that the myth of the "liberal" US media was shown to be just that, a myth. President Obama was wailed on in the US corporate-controlled media for infinitely less.

You also have to realize that a US conservative is not the same as a UK conservative. Given the dominance of the Tea Party among the current US Republican Party, the US Republican Party is frankly much closer to the BNP than any true conservative group. The Tea Party, and by extension the current US Republican Party, do not want to "conserve" anything. They wish to destroy liberalism, preferably with extreme prejudice, so that "destroy" is a euphemism for what they really wish to do.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I have perhaps come to a slightly greater understanding of some aspects of America in the last few weeks. This despite even having lived there for some time, though admittedly that was in California.

A recent programme on R4 with Matt Frei interviewed some people, who I guess were Republicans. Phrases like "land of the free" and "libertarian" were bandied about. These sounded like good ideas, and then I realised that they actually mean (to me at any rate) exactly the opposite. People who think that they can live and survive without any help from society, people for whom freedom means their own freedom, but they don't care about many others.

Conservative minded people very probably object to "spongers" - people who "live off the state", and there is some concern which we should all share about that. However, we nearly all rely on others far more than many of us even bother to think about each day. We rely on infrastructure - gas, electricity, water, roads, transport, internet - social infrastructure - employment, policing, law - even entertainment and information - radio, TV, concerts, theatres etc. and it's almost impossible for us as individuals to do anything without such support.

Such infrastructure systems have come about due to collective effort, and themselves require support - often financial, but not only - through taxation or other means. Many of the "libertarians" seem to think they can have the good things, and "freedom" without contributing.

PS: I also omitted a significant piece of social infrastructure - health care! Very relevant in the current context. Also defence.
                    Last edited by Dave2002; 07-11-12, 11:02.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Well with luck your basic premise is mis-conceived
                      Lady luck smiled...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Lady luck smiled...
                        Not been a good few weeks for Mandy - Bryn Terfel's well-received performances at ROH, now Romney's defeat, ah me who'd be a man with an opinion?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                          Fortunately, as of last night, there's no need to worry about this for the next 4 years. However, given the fact that the current US media was pretty much in the tank for Romney, the "wailing drivel" characterization rings totally incorrect. Romney told so many lies and got away with so much, not least insulting the city of London pre-Olympics, that the myth of the "liberal" US media was shown to be just that, a myth. President Obama was wailed on in the US corporate-controlled media for infinitely less.

You also have to realize that a US conservative is not the same as a UK conservative. Given the dominance of the Tea Party among the current US Republican Party, the US Republican Party is frankly much closer to the BNP than any true conservative group. The Tea Party, and by extension the current US Republican Party, do not want to "conserve" anything. They wish to destroy liberalism, preferably with extreme prejudice, so that "destroy" is a euphemism for what they really wish to do.
                          Congratulations on Obama's win, bluestateprommer. I must say that I'm mightily relieved for you, for me and for the rest of the world

Comment

• JimD
                            • Nov 2010

Not all that inevitable then.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                              Not all that inevitable then.
                              'Evitable' [Rare]

But not in this case.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I have just taken part in gingerjohn's test:

81% - Stein, 74% - Obama, 43% - Romney

That gives me nearly 40 percentage points more for the Republicans than some members.

Comment

Working...
                                X