Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    "If you appoint the outstanding candidate it does seem that arguments about the process are somewhat by and by." (Ld Patten)

"By and by" or "by the by"? The former is not at all appropriate in the context.

I think he selected something meaningless in order to fly distantly into the clouds - unless he isn't particularly bright.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      "By and by" or "by the by"? The former is not at all appropriate in the context.

I think he selected something meaningless in order to fly distantly into the clouds - unless he isn't particularly bright.
      .....conjuring up a new expression: pat as Patton

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I think he had two concepts on the go there. He couldn't quite say any procedure was irrelevant. At the same time, he had that thing about moving on as in "let bygones be bygones". There was an airy waving away of any opposition about it.

But I feel a bit sorry for him as I think he has feeling and was genuinely upset about what had happened. I haven't any good reason yet to be critical of the new Culture Secretary either but there is plenty of time in the approach to 2016.

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Conscious that I am not quite up to speed with the politics of the situation. But an old expression "cherchez la femme" may be relevant here.

Comment

Working...
          X