Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by Russ View Post
    How comes Robert Peston always has to tell us these things, before an official announcement ... ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Amazing how quickly Wiki is updated... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ha..._of_Birkenhead
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Amazing how quickly Wiki is updated... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Ha..._of_Birkenhead
        Isn't though that Gormley quote in Wiki dubious? I think someone should remove it.

(Added later - Since I wrote, it has been removed).

This choice, now that it has been made, looks obvious*. Why wasn't he mentioned when 15 or 20 names were discussed, and also mentioned by the bookies, last time?

(*As in neither right nor wrong - just obvious!)
        Last edited by Guest; 22-11-12, 14:22.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

By bad luck, managed to catch the Chairman and the new DG banging on this afternoon, on 5 live. (interrupted the sports news too !)
          What a load of twaddle.
          I wonder how much these folks would care about the BBC and its core values, and it's world class this that and the other if they were on £50k a year?

The experts (!) are deeply impressed with his transformation of the ROH. I can't honestly see what relevance this has to the important business of transmitting the news to a country that is battling recession, as well being subject to corruption at what seems to be every level of public life, but there you are.

Another day at the office.
          Last edited by teamsaint; 22-11-12, 19:34.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Tony Hall has announced that one of his first acts will be to interrupt Newsnight with Craig Revel Horwood presenting the same discussion Paxman has just presented all over again .

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Did we ever know who was on the short-list?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Did we ever know who was on the short-list?
                Was there one? Did Hall apply or was he given an interview (lunch) & offered the job?

It could be argued that given the urgency to appoint and the list of likely runners & riders for a re-run of the event that came up with George Entwistle, a different approach was needed. But I think we should be told.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Was there one? Did Hall apply or was he given an interview (lunch) & offered the job?

It could be argued that given the urgency to appoint and the list of likely runners & riders for a re-run of the event that came up with George Entwistle, a different approach was needed. But I think we should be told.
                  "Your" BBC quite often don't tell you things you ought to have a right to know about..ratings details, DRM issues, shortlists for the £500k a year job...little things like that.
                  But the new regime is going to be big on creativity. Honest.....I heard them say it...

Edit..I f we wanted a short list, we do seem to have got one...
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Given there were some demands last time that there should be more transparency over the process, it looks like a rude gesture from the Trust. I know there was a Trust meeting today but hadn't heard that there was going to be an announcement today.

I suppose not opening the process all over again made a saving in licence fee payers' money ... . My guess is 'they wanted him last time', he wasn't available and now he is. So they sat round the table and decided that as he would have been their first choice last time it has all worked out jolly well.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Given there were some demands last time that there should be more transparency over the process, it looks like a rude gesture from the Trust. I know there was a Trust meeting today but hadn't heard that there was going to be an announcement today.

I suppose not opening the process all over again made a saving in licence fee payers' money ... . My guess is 'they wanted him last time', he wasn't available and now he is. So they sat round the table and decided that as he would have been their first choice last time it has all worked out jolly well.
                      I'd say that you had that spot on, french frank - 'cept I know it set your teeth on edge

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

'cept I know it set your teeth on edge
                        Along with "X is passionate about ..."

Comment

• Quarky
                          • Dec 2010

My guess is 'they wanted him last time', he wasn't available and now he is. So they sat round the table and decided that as he would have been their first choice last time it has all worked out jolly well.
                          I tend to a more Machiavellian jaundiced view of these proceedings - that is maybe George Entwistle was the fall guy.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                            I tend to a more Machiavellian jaundiced view of these proceedings - that is maybe George Entwistle was the fall guy.
                            Goodness! Now that is an interesting theory!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

"If you appoint the outstanding candidate it does seem that arguments about the process are somewhat by and by." (Ld Patten)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

"If you appoint the outstanding candidate it does seem that arguments about the process are somewhat by and by." (Ld Patten)

Blimey, Patton begs a load of questions!

Comment

Working...
                                X