X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clive heath
    • Sep 2024

Lili Kraus

I was looking through the little notebook listing the 78s I got given back in 1981 and I noticed an unfamilar name, Kraus, which turned out to be Lili Kraus. As the majority of the works were also unfamiliar to me I decided to process them and a great joy it has been. The first two are now uploaded and are
    1) Mozart's Piano Concerto in B Flat K.456 with the London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Water Goehr. This is a wonderful composition with the emotional weight in the minor key slow movement containing some weird false relations. There is an inkling of what is to come when after a sunny start you arrive at a stop chord where you might expect the piano to enter but no, a minor-key passage ensues.
    2) Beethoven's Violin Sonata Op. 96 No. 10. The violinist is Simon Goldberg. This is very much a duo with each part having equal importance in the overall scheme of things. The performance seems to be very intimate as though they are playing for my ears alone. This is a reflection of the composition itself which contains much that is pensive and elegiac. I don't know how often LVB did this but the slow movement doesn't come to a full-stop but segues into the Scherzo. This movement is characterised by accented third beats in triple time as does a sequence in the last movement of the Mozart.

Lili was born in Hungary in 1903, studied with Schnabel, Kodaly and Bartok among others and after an international career in the 30s was captured in Java and interned by the Japanese while touring. I hope you enjoy these performances as much as I have done. You will find them right at the end of the list when you click on the link below

Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.
    Last edited by Guest; 22-10-12, 23:24.
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Well, what a turnup for the books. Lili Kraus' (complete ?) Mozart sonatas are on the Music & Arts label (Recorded in 1954 for the Haydn Society; previously released on LPs HSL 121-127. Digitally remastered from the original 38 cm/sec master tapes by Maggi Payne.) It's a 5 CD set.

According to my booklet LK was born in 1905 (?) - and IIRC she did not record one of the Mozart sonatas, but would have to check.

They are more robust than M Uchida's interpretation - but I actually prefer them.

Edit: The 5CD set mentioned above has 17 Mozart Sonatas plus various other solo keyboard works.
    Last edited by Pianorak; 24-10-12, 09:28. Reason: correcting misleading info
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
      Well, what a turnup for the books. Lili Kraus' (complete ?) Mozart sonatas are on the Music & Arts label (Recorded in 1954 for the Haydn Society; previously released on LPs HSL 121-127. Digitally remastered from the original 38 cm/sec master tapes by Maggi Payne.) It's a 5 CD set.

According to my booklet LK was born in 1905 (?) - and IIRC she did not record one of the Mozart sonatas, but would have to check.

They are more robust than M Uchida's interpretation - but I actually prefer them.

Comment

• clive heath

pianorak, as you will see from the parlophone discography:

Lili Kraus recorded several solo piano compositions including the ones I have and am working on, Mozart Fantasia and C minor Sonata K.457, Schubert A minor Sonata and the wonderful Eroica Variations.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Lili Kraus was the soloist in the recording (Concert Hall Record Club) which introduced me to Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto, now available in a 3 disc set:

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
            Lili Kraus recorded several solo piano compositions including the ones I have and am working on, Mozart Fantasia and C minor Sonata K.457
            A work (the Fantasia) that's a particular favourite of mine.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Lili Kraus was the soloist in the recording (Concert Hall Record Club) which introduced me to Beethoven's 4th Piano Concerto, now available in a 3 disc set:

http://www.silveroakmusic.com/sc018.html
              A remarkable musician, teacher and a remarkable human being

Part I of II: The great Hungarian pianist is featured giving a masterclass and talking of her life and career. From 1981, courtesy of Texas Christian Unive...

&
              Part II of II: The great Hungarian pianist is featured giving a masterclass and talking of her life and career. From 1981, courtesy of Texas Christian Univ...

Comment

• anotherbob
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                ...whose recordings are worth a bob or two.....

check the value of your vinyl records by searching our archive

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

What an enchanting lady! Thanks for those videos, Ammy.
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• handsomefortune

Part I of II: The great Hungarian pianist is featured giving a masterclass and talking of her life and career. From 1981, courtesy of Texas Christian Unive...

&
                    Part II of II: The great Hungarian pianist is featured giving a masterclass and talking of her life and career. From 1981, courtesy of Texas Christian Univ...

super utube links - thanks very much!

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
                      Lili was born in Hungary in 1903, studied with Schnabel, Kodaly and Bartok among others and after an international career in the 30s was captured in Java and interned by the Japanese while touring. I hope you enjoy these performances as much as I have done. You will find them right at the end of the list when you click on the link below

http://www.cliveheathmusic.co.uk/transcriptions_07.php
                      Some very crisp playing in the Mozart by both the pianist and the orchestra. Rather surprisingly so - when was this concerto recorded?

There is a very odd low level noise, which I assume is the result of doing various noise removal processes. Overall it sounds pretty good - thank you.

PS: Seems she also recorded K456 with the Boston SO and Monteux - http://www.discogs.com/Wolfgang-Amad...elease/3469015 Some more on Spotify - http://open.spotify.com/album/6vNsI4TyehJgDYaGaPcqSd
                      Last edited by Dave2002; 31-10-12, 12:32.

Comment

• clive heath

As promised, I have now uploaded the Mozart Fantasia and Sonata in C minor together with Beethoven's "Eroica" Variations. As a not very good but enthusiastic private pianist I have very particular ideas of how the Mozart should go and while I could be picky about Lili Kraus' performance, on the whole it is an utterly captivating reading, blending shading of dynamics and tempi with a strong rhythmic sense overall. The "Eroica" variations were written before the theme was used in the Finale of the 3rd Symphony. This work is new to me and is, I imagine, considered to be a lesser work than the Diabelli set but there is plenty to enjoy with some of the variations being quirky to say the least.

Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.

p.s. regarding the residual noise, these Parlophone discs have a little more surface noise than some others and/or the recording levels are lower, making it a harder job than usual. I will have another listen to the Concerto and see if I can't reduce the background a bit.

Comment

• clive heath

Well, it's taken a while but the implied reduction in residual background noise in the Concerto and Sonata has been achieved without, I hope any loss of immediacy.

Comment

Working...
                          X