X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    This may be the nearest thing. Not sure if it's quite complete.

Sorry, no - nowhere near complete! I was multiplying 15 X 3 (pages)

Many thanks ff but as per usual, to annoy us all, we do not have hear a simple written list in alphabetical order but pictures/clips - I have already admitted not have been aware of Geza Anda but I had not suspected Horatio Nelson and Mary Queen of Scots would make it into this latest chart!

.......off topic why has the Old Scoundrel been given a bigger picture than Glenn Gould?

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Perhaps it might have been wiser for Mr Donohoe to give some forethought as to where a pianist of his stature should best put his thumbs before doing this...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Perhaps it might have been wiser for Mr Donohoe to give some forethought as to where a pianist of his stature should best put his thumbs before doing this...
        I was listening to bits of last Thursday's Brekkers, and people were pointing out that Mitsuko Uchida had not been selected ... I cannot confirm this.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

Tonight, 7.30pm, BBC4, Lang Lang at The Roundhouse performing Liszt with amazing light show (!)
          Lang Lang performs a recital featuring nine of Liszt's finest solo piano pieces.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I seem to remember reading of Lang Lang and Herbie Hancock performing Vaughan Williams's piano concerto a couple or so years ago; was I dreaming? The thought of a Chinese celebrity classical pianist and one of the very greatest African American jazz pianists together on stage playing RVW was hard to reconcile...

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Many thanks ff but as per usual, to annoy us all, we do not have hear a simple written list in alphabetical order but pictures/clips
              I've found 42 on Peter Donohoe's website.

Still Desperately Seeking ...

Actually, there are 50 - some doubles.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

I've found 42 on Peter Donohoe's website.

Still Desperately Seeking ...

Actually, there are 50 - some doubles.
                Thank you ever so much there are indeed 50 and like you I couldn't find a list on the R3 website despite Petroc's assurances!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                  Thank you ever so much there are indeed 50 and like you I couldn't find a list on the R3 website despite Petroc's assurances!
                  And Uchida doesn't get a look-in. Nor Pires. Nor Schiff.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

You should start a thread ff

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

I missed many of the choices originally and have just caught up with a selection. As each is relatively short they make excellent 'dips' if you haven't a lot of time. There are, as might be expected, some frankly astonishing feats of pianism eg Richter in Traumes wirren from Schumann op12.

Comment

• Pianorak
                        • Nov 2010

I've found 42 on Peter Donohoe's website. . .
                        An excellent list one cannot argue with as it says “These artists are simply great in many different ways.” Very pleased to see Trifonov, Kuerti and Fou Ts'ong included.
                        Alas, no Krystian Zimerman or Andras Schiff.

Thanks ff for the link as I didn't hear any of the original broadcasts.
                        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

I heard a few and battled against myself (not always successfully) not to find the style of the scripts and Peter Donohoe's delivery off-putting. Suffice that it was always a relief when one got to some actual playing by the chosen pianists. Some good content and a number of interesting choices to follow-up.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                          X