Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roslynmuse
    • Jul 2011

I have a very old caller display unit separate to the phone itself - Betacom 1996 - and 0845 numbers show up on this. Like OG, I just let them go to answer-machine. Some days the caller display unit reveals half-a-dozen different 0845 numbers have attempted to get through. Most leave at least a part of a message.

Comment

• soileduk
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
      I'm not convinced that this isn't an urban myth. Do you have any links to support your claim? Curious, that's all.
      No.

Comment

• soileduk
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
        No.
        My concern is that no one should do anything at all in response to any call that they are not %100 at ease with.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I must be very lucky! I have an ex-directory number and very rarely get unwanted calls. Those I have received in recent years have been traced to a double glazing firm and an electrical appliance insurance firm. Both had my number for legitimate reasons and both stopped the calls when I requested it.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I get what are sometimes called "heavy breathing" calls at fairly frequent intervals (number withheld). Except that there is no breathing - just the click of the perpitrator's phone being replaced. There's no way to deal with that.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
              That's because no phone line has an 0845 number. When you dial an 0845 number, the system puts it through to a phone with a proper number. In any case, most of these cold callers are withholding their calling line identity.
              I mean they are not picked up (in the old fashioned sense where you actually picked the phone up to take the call) by me - as I think is realised by Roslynmuse in #31.

OG

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                I'm sorry, SA, but I think you may have misremembered. It IS a hoax. I used to work in the telecomms industry and couldn't see how this scam could technically work as described.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/premium-phone-rate-hoax.html
                Was that not what S_A was saying was substantiated? - the scam?

Pressing one number seems little different from ringing a number:

"Premium rate phone scam

You may answer your telephone to discover that the caller is a recorded voice informing you that you are a 'winner'. You will be asked to ring a premium rate number to claim your prize. The prize, however, does not exist or is of little or no value. The fraudsters make their money from the costly premium rate call you have made, which can often last several minutes."

I've several times had a call with an automated message about an overpaid credit card item, and to press 5 to get more details. A moment's thought is enough to realise they don't even know who has picked up the phone ...
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                X