Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

I gave up reading almost all newspapers about 20 years ago....never regretted it.

One upside would seem to be that I am not labouring under the impression that reading the Times will give me a balanced view on anything.

Plus I can make my mind up about an issue and just stick to it.

Edit, anyway, all the fun went out of print newspapers when they stopped the race to deliver the Saturday Pink to the newsagents before 6.00 pm !
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

So where do you get the information that allows you to "make my mind up about an issue and just stick to it"?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        I live in an area infested with comfortably off young couples ...

There surely must be some more desirable areas similarly infested with single, badly-off old-age pensioners, ferret ... ?

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          So where do you get the information that allows you to "make my mind up about an issue and just stick to it"?
          Who needs information to make their minds up?the politicians don't seem to !!

Ok, not well worded post ! I do read the odd online article from the mainstream press, since you can these days .
          Articles posted as links on here. Used to/occasionally listen to R4, but only so that I know what the government wants me to think.

Apart from that, If I hear about an issue, I try to think it through for myself....as I am sure you will agree, patterns start to become clear in ones mind as one reaches a certain age...or has seen a few governments come and go.
          Alternative , non mainstream sources are certainly worth looking at also.
          I also strongly believe in discussing issues with people.....you get an amazing range of views and perspectives that way.....even in the Coop !!
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I suspect the references to womens' sexual organs in The Guardian may be merely these pages about women?
            http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/women
            Nice link.

In view of the current direction of this discussion, this is an interesting article on the dictionary definition of misogyny.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              In view of the current direction of this discussion, this is an interesting article on the dictionary definition of misogyny.
              Are you suggesting that we should take an interest in what happens 'down under'?

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post

There surely must be some more desirable areas similarly infested with single, badly-off old-age pensioners, ferret ... ?
                Yes, my next door neighbours are moving out ...
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Are you suggesting that we should take an interest in what happens 'down under'?
                  Well, it did mention that the OED was well ahead of their Oz equivalent, so we could still sneer if we really wanted to

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

I can't tell from your post if it's you that's the "single, badly-off old-age pensioner", Frenchie, or the neighbours.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I can't tell from your post if it's you that's the "single, badly-off old-age pensioner", Frenchie, or the neighbours.

That's like my brother's joke. They liked, he said, to have a poor lonely person round to share their Christmas lunch (and they did really). Then he turned to me and said: "Will you be coming to Christmas lunch as usual this year?"

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Nice link.

Interesting indeed, ff ... but, if 'marriage' is anything to go by, any dictionary definition is somewhat archaic and outmoded ... ?

Comment

• Anna

And from Mitt Romney's speech on Tuesday (sorry, really offtopic and I shall go now)
                          "We're going to have to have employers in the new economy, in the economy I'm going to bring to play, that are going to be so anxious to get good workers they're going to be anxious to hire women."

So anxious, they'll hire women. Subtext: so desperate, they'll hire anyone. Even you, ladies. That was after his "Binder full of women" remark.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Not preserved railways, but If funds and time allowed, there are lots of train trips I would love to take.

Would love to travel to Moscow on one, for instance.
                            There are also great value tickets from Southampton to Inverness, about £100 return, which I really fancy doing.(and thence to Orkney...looks lovely).

Edit ....
                            and I expect they advertise these in the newspapers..(pk , so I posted this on the wrong thread...) need to get back on track .
                            Last edited by teamsaint; 18-10-12, 19:02.

Comment

• scottycelt

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                                And from Mitt Romney's speech on Tuesday (sorry, really offtopic and I shall go now)
                                "We're going to have to have employers in the new economy, in the economy I'm going to bring to play, that are going to be so anxious to get good workers they're going to be anxious to hire women."
                                Although normally I wouldn't give Romney the benefit of doubt, Anna, in this case I would. I would read his comment to mean that they wouldn't want to miss out on good workers by not hiring women.

Mind you, he's a close second to Bush in mangling his thoughts & the language, so it's difficult to tell what he really meant.

Comment

Working...
                                X