Starbucks, Amazon, Facebook .and their tax returns.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Starbucks, Amazon, Facebook .and their tax returns.

Well I feel sure they filled them in correctly. They must have.Surely?

It's easy to find an alternative to Starbucks, but what about all the other companies that go out of their way to pay minimal tax in the UK?

Online retailer's British operation owned by company in Luxembourg which receives all payments for books, DVDs and other goods

perhaps not. so what's to do? leave it up to dave and gideon...? Oh dear.
    Trust that labour will get elected and sort it out? Probably wouldn't given their track record.

So , its down to individual action. I would boycott Starbucks , but I never go in there because £3 for a coffee is hot drink crime.
    Facebook. Can't really boycott that.
    Amazon? er....need an excuse.....i know, I'll just use market place...that's ok, isn't it?

Any bright thoughts on what the concerned citizen could do?

What are you currently boycotting, if anything?
    Last edited by teamsaint; 17-10-12, 22:14.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

I boycott Starbucks already as well, if not drinking their awful apology for coffee counts as a boycott. I'm trying to use Facebook as a marketing tool (another artist in my studio building uses it to great effect) so although I'm very cagey about it I'll carry on using it (for the moment).

I don't use Amazon much - I should use Waterstone's more.

I boycott Tesco's, being the worst of the supermarkets - I don't use any of them much, preferring the Co-op.

And the Daily Mail.

& Sky

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

You prefer the Co-op, the Daily Mail and Sky to Tesco?!

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

now now Bryn.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Even Waitrose is cheaper than the Co-op in Windsor. I do visit the Ascot Tesco Metro quite often on the way home from work, to grab the end of day fruit, Veg., and occasional sarnie at knock down (below cost) prices. That will end for the time being though. The elevated section of the M4 is now open to all traffic again, so I will be using buses again to get to work. Big savings on fuel costs, though much longer journey times.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I boycott the Co-op and Morrison's because of their piped music (and lack of apostrophes for the latter) and Starbucks because of their spellings.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              I will be using buses again to get to work. Big savings on fuel costs, though much longer journey times.
              Savings for who? Around these parts, there are no buses that run less than 2+ miles distant from where I am located but those that do always seem to be almost empty, which prompts me to think that there might indeed be savings, if not especially big ones, were they simply to stop running...

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

I don't consciously "boycott" Starbucks (or Costa, or whichever other similar chain purveyor of often absurdly large and wasteful quantities of what purports to be coffee anyone might care to mention) or Facebook or MySpace but I certainly don't actually use them - and, when last I looked, I was still alive...
                Last edited by ahinton; 18-10-12, 18:59.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  I boycott the Co-op and Morrison's because of their piped music (and lack of apostrophes for the latter) and Starbucks because of their spellings.
                  Well, you certainly don't get piped muzak in Waitrose and I've never espied a misplaced apostrophe in any of their branches either; I do, however, recall one occasion on which I saw a reference to "unslated butter" in one of them (no names, no pack-drill) but was it very swiftly replaced with a correct one...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    I don't consciously "boycott" Starbucks (or Costa, or whichever other similar chain purveyor of often absurdly large and wasteful quantities of what purports to be coffee anyone might care to mention) or Facebook or MySpace but I certainly don't actually use them - and, when last i looked, I was still alive...
                    Some of us were beginning to wonder! Good to have you back with us, ahinton!

Comment

• handsomefortune

What are you currently boycotting, if anything?

socially, people who don't boycott anything, and probably don't even recognise the importance of it individually or collectively as a response.

otherwise my list is remarkably similar to shops/etc already listed this far ...... which we can pretend we 'just ignore' .....but which it's probably more constructive to boycott as consumers....especially if they aren't paying their tax bills having made enormous profit. or are expensive/poor quality, or populated by consumers i/we don't wish to mingle amongst, especially as we do have the choice.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Even Waitrose is cheaper than the Co-op in Windsor.
                        It's not a question of being cheaper. The Co-op is a short walk from home, and, more importantly, it's a co-operative - which means that as a member I get a dividend (& cheaper Guardians)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          Well, you certainly don't get piped muzak in Waitrose and I've never espied a misplaced apostrophe in any of their branches either; I do, however, recall one occasion on which I saw a reference to "unslated butter" in one of them (no names, no pack-drill) but was it very swiftly replaced with a correct one...
                          Quite so. It's a pleasure to shop there. And Waitrose has a checkout: "10 items or fewer" rather than the Tesco "10 items or less".

Comment

• mangerton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Quite so. It's a pleasure to shop there. And Waitrose has a checkout: "10 items or fewer" rather than the Tesco "10 items or less".
                            Quite. I bought petrol in Tesco yesterday and was sorry to see they were running a promotion on "confectionary".

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Surely thney don't need to promote confectionery in Dundee?

Comment

Working...
                              X