X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton
    • Jun 2024

Pronunciation watch - Albeniz

What is it about Spanish? For a language whose pronunciation follows such simple and consistent rules, it seems to baffle most R3 presenters - not long ago Rob C came up with "Aguatho" for Dionisio Aguado, and "Granathos" a while back. Tárrega defeats them all.

Katie D came up with a new pronunciation of Albeniz today, placing the stress on the final syllable And she's normally so keen to show off her impeccable diction.....

By the way the recital she was presenting was...OK
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Don Jewan or Don Wan

Don Kwixoat or Don Keyhotee.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Mispronunciation is especially annoying when google can so quickly oblige ... for any R3 presenter it's not good enough, just laziness really.

And don't most sports commentators get it right effortlessly these days? Don't recall being annoyed much with the Olympics ones (ah, so long ago...)
      Maybe the round-ballers could comment...

(Hey Petrushka - shouldn't that be Don KeyhoatAY?)
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-10-12, 00:18.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Mispronunciation is especially annoying when google can so quickly oblige ... for any R3 presenter it's not good enough, just laziness really.

And don't most sports commentators get it right effortlessly these days? Don't recall being annoyed much with the Olympics ones (ah, so long ago...)
        Maybe the round-ballers could comment...

(Hey Petrushka - shouldn't that be Don KeyhoatAY?)
        You are right, on the whole footy commentators tend , or seem,to get it right...and they have plenty to contend with.

Almost makes you feel nostalgic for the days when Joe Mercer needed to have 3 or 4 goes at pronouncing Cruyff, and still ended up with something nearer to "Crufts".

Anyway, poor research by BBC presenters..inexcusable...what else do they have to do all week ?!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

Katie D came up with a new pronunciation of Albeniz today, placing the stress on the final syllable
          Not new to me, Richard: I've heard that before elsewhere. One can be charitable and assume a mistaking of the dot of the i for something larger...

Nonetheless, I don't feel it is fair to criticize too much: the mangling of English that one hears from foreign newsreaders and commentators is far, far worse. And they've often grown up with background English in ways that most of us have never grown up with a foreign language.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

here for examples
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... I blush, remembering that for many years (having encountered the words in text rather than having heard them spoken) I mis-placed the stress on Girolamo (as in Frescobaldi) and Cristofori (as in the inventor of the piano):
              with my rudimentary teenage grasp of Italian words being stressed on the penult, I thought it was Girol- A - mo and Cristo - FOR - i - instead of - of course - what it should be: Gi - ROL - amo and Cris -TOF - ori....

I plead the ignorance of a teenager. Such pleadings are inadmissible from well-paid RADIO THREE announcers/presenters...

Comment

Working...
              X