• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

A Thread's Length

There must be many threads, relevent to a particular performance, event or statement, which were started as far back as the inception of FoR3 in 2010, which have not been posted to or accessed for many months. Perhaps the matter has been dealt with - is no longer pertinent after such a lapse in time; or simply attracted few, if any replies.

How long should a thread remain dormant before it is removed? It would if there were a lot less back pages to surely ease the search for information to plough through (and save computer memory for some who do not have a large amount of RAM on their machines.

Okay, someone would have to do it, but couldn't our hosts devise a program that would find those threads wich have not been accessed for a specified period of time and offer them up for deletion?

I would imagine that this particular forum (Platform 3) would be a good starting point, since it seems mostly to concern topical comments rather than back reference material.

Any ideas?

HS
  • An_Inspector_Calls

Why bother when disc storage is so cheap (3p per gigabyte)?

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by An_Inspector_Calls View Post
      Why bother when disc storage is so cheap (3p per gigabyte)?
      I am thinking of speed of retrieval of sought after information from past posts - not storage costs. We all of us store a lot more than we need to (and that includes CDs and disks that we are never likely to listen to again)

HS

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
        I am thinking of speed of retrieval of sought after information from past posts - not storage costs. We all of us store a lot more than we need to (and that includes CDs and disks that we are never likely to listen to again)

HS
        have you been reading what i've been reading ?

Human knowledge is based on memory. But does the digital age force us to remember too much? Viktor Mayer-Schönberger argues that we must delete and let go

Comment

• Hornspieler
          Late Member
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...et-digital-age
          Must be a coincidence. I don't normally read comics.

HS

Comment

• John Shelton

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...et-digital-age
            The Virtue of Forgetting in the Digital Age is a very interesting book.

Comment

• Don Petter

HS
              I don't see how RAM size has any significant impact on searching, and, as for speed of retrieval, I just tried a bare 'Beethoven' search which brought back thirteen pages in an estimated eight seconds. Is life so short that this is too long to wait? (A more normal search for 'Milhaud' was almost instantaneous.)

I would have thought that any archive was potentially useful, and, since it is not the user storing it, why delete it? If the economics from ff's point of view meant that it was not a good thing, that would be a different matter. Perhaps she could comment?

If items were deleted, presumably they would still be available via Google Groups, as long as they are inclined to bother, but it is better to have everything available in the Forum search, I would have thought.

I have several times found an early and long-dead reference to be useful to check, or quote from, and who is to say which ones might be important or not for the individual?

Comment

• amateur51

Must be a coincidence. I don't normally read comics.

HS
                A comic that apparently reads your mind?! Makes some kind of sense, on reflection

Comment

• Hornspieler
                  Late Member
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  I don't see how RAM size has any significant impact on searching, and, as for speed of retrieval, I just tried a bare 'Beethoven' search which brought back thirteen pages in an estimated eight seconds. Is life so short that this is too long to wait? (A more normal search for 'Milhaud' was almost instantaneous.)

I would have thought that any archive was potentially useful, and, since it is not the user storing it, why delete it? If the economics from ff's point of view meant that it was not a good thing, that would be a different matter. Perhaps she could comment?

If items were deleted, presumably they would still be available via Google Groups, as long as they are inclined to bother, but it is better to have everything available in the Forum search, I would have thought.

I have several times found an early and long-dead reference to be useful to check, or quote from, and who is to say which ones might be important or not for the individual?
                  Well I only asked. I didn't think anyone would be all that interested in whether it was raining in East Sussex on 21st November 2011 (Stormy Weather) or who was turning out for Colchester United on Boxing Day 2011 (The Round Ball Game)**

Suit yourselves. I only started the thread because as far as Radio 3 output is concerned, nobody seems to display the slightest interest.

HS

** Please note: These are speculative examples only. I have no idea whether they actually exist (before someone tells me that they can't find the posts to which I refer).
                  Last edited by Hornspieler; 12-10-12, 16:23. Reason: typo

Comment

• Anna

I assume everyone here deletes their cache of temporary internet files (if we are worried about RAM) on a daily basis, but I wanted to find a thread here, not updated since February this year, which I want to update in January 2013 (don't ask, it'll be a surprise!)

Actually, having started to respond, I'm not too sure what the purpose of the thread is as it relates to the OP unless he is anxious to find something, in which case, why not just ask? Someone will be sure to point in the right direction.
                    edit: crossed with HS, guess he wants all trivia to be dissolved.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

There has been some very enjoyable music onR3 this afternoon actually. Both Chopin PCs and the Tchaik Pathetique. Too every day for some but it accompanied sorting out my emails etc very well.

Comment

• Don Petter

Well I only asked. I didn't think anyone would be all that interested in whether it was raining in East Sussex on 21st November 2011 (Stormy Weather) or who was turning out for Colchester United on Boxing Day 2011 (The Round Ball Game)
                        Probably quite right! But with the inevitable tendency for threads to drift, however much we may want otherwise, there could well be some more useful reference (to a concert attended, or a new-found CD shop just round the corner from Colchester's ground). It would need a labour of love as well as the wisdom of Solomon to decide which were unworthy?

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                          Probably quite right! But with the inevitable tendency for threads to drift, however much we may want otherwise, there could well be some more useful reference (to a concert attended, or a new-found CD shop just round the corner from Colchester's ground). It would need a labour of love as well as the wisdom of Solomon to decide which were unworthy?
                          And some wonderful posts from good friends who are no longer with us - in one way or another.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Well I only asked. I didn't think anyone would be all that interested in whether it was raining in East Sussex on 21st November 2011 (Stormy Weather)
                            Not a very good example for your cause, as 'Stormy weather' crops up regularly in the 'new posts' list, & is hardly 'dormant', which is the criterium (is that the singular of 'criteria'?) suggested in your OP.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              Not a very good example for your cause, as 'Stormy weather' crops up regularly in the 'new posts' list, & is hardly 'dormant', which is the criterium (is that the singular of 'criteria'?) suggested in your OP.
                              Criterion, I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X