X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    well just saying no isn't very powerful . At least I gave one example which suggests control.

Even if the government are utter philistines, which is quite possible, it's also true that their advisors might recognise the danger.They do have lots of highly educated advisors.
    It's a long shot, but I broadly agree. We've seen too many programmes in which population mind fixers have "come out" and dished the dirt on their former employers not to know that this goes on all the time.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Orwell understood a lot.

It was the THOUGHT police who ran the show on the ground.

It was the written word that Winston Smith had to alter.
      And it was the telescreen that was used to control.
      He knew a lot about the way the world works, and how it would go.
      And him an old Etonian........makes you wonder though, doesn't it?
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• heliocentric

it's also true that their advisors might recognise the danger. They do have lots of highly educated advisors.
        And this is by no means some kind of "conspiracy theory", it's exactly the logical thing you'd expect the ruling class to do in order to preserve its position: educate the masses just enough for them to be useful, while convincing them that everything outside that purview (ie. which might activate their individual imaginations and thus give rise to the idea that fundamentally questioning the status quo is a completely reasonable rather than "extremist" thing to do) is not for the likes of them. It's not a secret; it goes on in broad daylight.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-10-12, 22:42.

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

the bankers and arms dealers . . . they sure don't want us following or understanding the likes of Shelley, Beethoven, Shakespeare, Turner etc.
          Tripe.

Comment

• heliocentric

Originally posted by An_Inspector_Calls View Post
            Tripe.
            A remarkably persuasive counterargument to be sure. How do you do it?

Comment

• John Shelton

Originally posted by heliocentric View Post
              A good old-fashioned education with exams twice a year, perhaps?

Comment

• David-G
                • Mar 2012

"Tripe"
                Perhaps a counterstatement rather than a counterargument.

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Well I read Teamsaint's drivel and conclude it's juvenile cynicism from an academic failure.

I haven't followed this board for very long, but are Teamsaint, Serial Apologist and Heliocentric perhaps related?

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

I wonder what your definition of an academic failure is, AIC?
                    We academic failures should be a doddle to out argue. Or perhaps you only want to engage with academic successes..in which case, do let us know the criteria we need to fulfill.

Juvenile cynicism...well call it that if you want, you carry on believing what the people with the power tell you. That's a great system.

Edit: Its a shame that you don't really want to engage...because when you post something like this...

"I suspect the curriculum and specification of teaching methods has been introduced over the years as an attempt to counter an obvious declining standard of teaching ability." Quote...and are asked about where the evidence is, you don't seem to want to respond. Funny.
                    Last edited by teamsaint; 13-10-12, 09:14.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Edit: Its a shame that you don't really want to engage...because when you post something like this...

"I suspect the curriculum and specification of teaching methods has been introduced over the years as an attempt to counter an obvious declining standard of teaching ability." Quote...and are asked about where the evidence is, you don't seem to want to respond. Funny.
                      Maybe that's because you (and your sock puppets) lard your replies with cynical dross that gets in the way?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

No, you just don't ever respond other than with another unsubstantiated assertion, and you don't actually reply to points made.

Where is the evidence about teaching standards.
                        What is, in your opinion, an academic failure ?
                        And since we were on the subject once, why do we have 20% of school leavers functionally illiterate and innumerate?
                        I would just like to know, as an academic failure. Perhaps you can educate me.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Maybe he eats it?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by An_Inspector_Calls View Post
                            are Teamsaint, Serial Apologist and Heliocentric perhaps related?
                            Not to my knowledge, but it's always nice discovering new relations!

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Not to my knowledge, but it's always nice discovering new relations!
                              Handbagged by Mr and Mrs Teamsaint . . .

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Don't you just love those informed responses !

Comment

Working...
                                X