• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

radio 4 - 11:30am

perhaps of interest [unless you're allergic to the presenter]
    London wartime concertgoing
    Katie Derham delves into the fascinating world of musical life during the Second World War
  • Northender

I'd spotted this - another potentially interesting little documentary of the kind that arguably should be on Radio 3 but which seems to be the preserve of Radio 4.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Yes, I'll certainly listen to that. I'm afraid it's the kind of research-based programme which is relatively expensive - and Radio 3 can't afford many these days. Radio 4's budget seems to have been ring-fenced.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
        • Nov 2010

slightly disappointed on first hearing. the story of the National Gallery concerts is quite a familiar one though I suppose it will be new to some. the other thing was that every time KD read from the diaries her voice was faded out, whereas I would have been happy with the whole programme to be made up of just the diary entries.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

It opened up a fascinating world, but I agree it hardly needed the background (actually, perhaps it did on R4?) and the 'experts'. What wonderful little regular fillers it would provide, either self-standing or supporting relevant concerts. I suppose they haven't been published (yet?)/

(KD better as a 'reporter', I thought )
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Lionel Bradley's diaries remain unpublished but his account of the Ballet Rambert was published in 1946 and is still available

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              slightly disappointed on first hearing. the story of the National Gallery concerts is quite a familiar one though I suppose it will be new to some. the other thing was that every time KD read from the diaries her voice was faded out, whereas I would have been happy with the whole programme to be made up of just the diary entries.
              I've now listened to this - I completely agree with you mercia, and indeed with frenchie. KD was a good reporter (no saccharine 'smiley voice' in evidence).

But it struck me most of all as a wasted opportunity - as you say mercs, it needed far more by way of actual extracts of his writing. There were practically none! What there was, was read by KD herself which was confusing. It needed to be an hour's prog, with the remainer of the time used by having an actor reading the concert reviews, esp the comparative commentaries he wrote about the first Peter Grimes productions. I was also desperate to know what he thought of the Shostakovich Piano Quintet première.

Perhaps the programme will be the cue for the use of these documents as ff says, for further programmes. I hope so.

A tantalising tip of the iceberg.

PS: repeated today, Sunday 14th, at 13.30 on R4., for those who like to listen live on their wireless sets
              Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 14-10-12, 02:27. Reason: Additional info
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
              X