Music Thread . Using your skill and judgement.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

Remembering the music that got me interested when I was a young lad:

Bach: Brandenburgs (perhaps no. 2, if I can only have one)
    Dvorak: cello concerto
    Mahler: symphony no 2, the 1960s Decca recording by Solti and the LSO

The Mahler completely overwhelmed me, I heard it at a friend's house, rushed out the next day and bought the LPs, then played them to death on my parents little gramophone which was completely inadequate for dealing with such material.

I take the point that a Mahler symphony might be a bit too big a call for someone innocent of this kind of music, but the opening movement has such an arresting force that I would chance it.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
      I take the point that a Mahler symphony might be a bit too big a call for someone innocent of this kind of music, but the opening movement has such an arresting force that I would chance it.
      Not at all
      the sound of Mahler is very familiar .................

I have yet to meet anyone (in the UK at least) who is "innocent of this kind of music"............. we've all heard "this kind of music"

great stuff anyway

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Saint-Saens Sym 3
        R Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra, in particular the 31 minutes after the introduction
        Prokofiev Sym 5

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Saint-Saens Sym 3
          R Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra, in particular the 31 minutes after the introduction
          Prokofiev Sym 5
          All three of which were among my earliest LPs (early 70s - university years). I think I got the Strauss for the same reason that many others did - 2001 A Space Odyssey - and, maybe like many of them, I was disappointed after the sunrise. I was very immature, of course.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

I think so much depends on the personality of the intended recipient.

Many of the suggestions of fellow Boardees tend to the large, romantic, loud, 'emotional', romantic type of music.
            This wouldn't have worked at all for me; it would have been counterproductive.

I was won to classical music by early keyboard repertoire.
            Only very much later - in my thirties - did I begin to enjoy nineteenth century repertoire.

We shouldn't assume that because we are swept away by Mahler or Wagner this will work on the neophyte.

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

I wouldn’t try unless the person asks you to recommend something s/he might like, with some indications as to what it is that the person has in mind. I find it terribly awkward when someone pushes his/her enthusiasm, be it music, books or food, into my hand even very gently and then ever after looking at me expectantly, ready to share his/her passion in earnest.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                I wouldn’t try unless the person asks you to recommend something s/he might like, with some indications as to what it is that the person has in mind. I find it terribly awkward when someone pushes his/her enthusiasm, be it music, books or food, into my hand even very gently and then ever after looking at me expectantly, ready to share his/her passion in earnest.
                Oh I just warm to others' enthusiasms - just so long as they aren't in any way harmful!

I'm probably just one of those people who needs to be pushed!

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

I'm with Dover on this. It is very difficult to encourage others to share your interests. They have to make their own decisions. I played the last 10 or so minutes of the Alpensymphonie to a friend, expecting enthusiasm for lovely music. Instead he said it sounded boring.

But if given an opportunity I would suggest some bleeding chunks:

Brandenburg 3, third movement.
                  Mahler 4, third movement.
                  Shosty 10 second movement.

And perhaps the Polovtsian Dances or Night on the Bare Mountain - something with lots of oomph.

But never try to impose your favourites - you'll probably put them off instantly and for ever!
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Oh I just warm to others' enthusiasms - ...
                    That's not quite the impression I've occasionally experienced when declaring my own particular music enthusiasm(s) here, S_A ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                      That's not quite the impression I've occasionally experienced when declaring my own particular music enthusiasm(s) here, S_A ...
                      Quite true, scotty - Bruckner being about as harmful as a wet flannel.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        I'm wondering about the target audience here, context and motivation. Age and gender?

See also Roslynmuse post msg 15 - "This is difficult! Surely much depends on the personality and musical leanings of the person you're hoping to get interested."

A colleague went to Glastonbury some years ago, and came back enthusiastic about the ENO performance of the Ride of the Valkyries. I think his kids also enjoyed it.

For no particular reason I just thought that Schumann's piano quintet might appeal to some people.
                        Its only really a fun question! I guess I had certain people in mind when I asked the question....inevitably people who are interested in music, and have a certain level of curiosity .

I certainly wouldn't push my enthusiasms on other people in an unwanted way..well hopefully not !
                        But I do happen to believe that sharing our experience and enthusiasm is a really positive thing...and my small group of colleagues are a group who really love their music, who do like to share, so its a "live " question.
                        You have a point about opera... and the Schumann...hard not to love. I think the slow movement would appeal to lots of rock music fans...sounds a bit like The Smiths to my ears !!
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Extended Play

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Its only really a fun question! I guess I had certain people in mind when I asked the question....inevitably people who are interested in music, and have a certain level of curiosity .
                          Ts - your fun question has produced an absorbing thread, imv. You were enthusiastic about S_A's Gerhard recommendation. Could you be coaxed into saying more about which (if any) of the other works recommended might succeed with the people you had in mind -- and why?

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Dare I say

Rhapsody in Blue
                            Goldbergs - Aria and
                            Beethoven - Moonlight..........

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Extended Play View Post
                              Ts - your fun question has produced an absorbing thread, imv. You were enthusiastic about S_A's Gerhard recommendation. Could you be coaxed into saying more about which (if any) of the other works recommended might succeed with the people you had in mind -- and why?
                              Hmmm..well as you ask....
                              The people I had in mind are probably younger than me , (even Shakesperian actors are these days !) and have probably been exposed (perhaps unknowingly) to a number of the suggestions,(or excerpts from them) . I would try to avoid those, because I think I would be trying to present something fairly dramatic, new or exciting.

One I hadn't really thought of, but came up a couple of times, is the Dvorak Cello Concerto.Think this would be one I would suggest, as it is such an exciting listen. Play that last movement volume up, and surely any rock fan would be tapping their toes?
                              Elsewhere , I am always inclined to suggest C20 music, because much of it does still have the shock of the new to modern ears raised on, for instance, indie rock and dance music, i suspect. DSCH#5 , (after a bit of research into the background) is a great choice ..the sound world is just edgy enough to be in that place between familiarity and uncertainty(I think)...and the politics can't fail to engage a thoughtful mind...can they?(The Eroica , or perhaps just the first movement might fit this bill too)
                              I was tempted to suggest the DCSH 8th quartet also, as MrGG did, but this would be to someone really prepared to give it a couple of hard listens.

There are lots of great suggestions though....Pictures an Exhibition(orchestrated) would be a good one for all the obvious reasons....And the Marquez Danzon is such an easy piece to like that I my try it on a colleague or two.......
                              All in all,despite some peoples reservations, I am still inclined to share my enthusiasms......I used to try to "discover" music on my own,(as a kind of conceit perhaps) but these days I use the short cut of other peoples knowledge and musical loves..cheating perhaps....but there is much to get through!!
                              Last edited by teamsaint; 10-10-12, 22:16.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                There are lots of great suggestions though....Pictures an Exhibition(orchestrated) would be a good one for all the obvious reasons....
                                I did think of Pics as a possibility, particularly for prog rockers failiar with the ELP adaptation and suggest a listen to Tomita, Stokowski, Ravel and the original piano version.

Comment

Working...
                                X