Music Thread . Using your skill and judgement.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Music Thread . Using your skill and judgement.....

Would you like to suggest 3 pieces of broadly Classical music that you would recommend to somebody who professed to have no interest in the genre.
    I am assuming that the person in question is interested in other genres....i ask this in part because I enjoy discussions with friends and colleagues about music, and frequently gently encourage them to dip a toe in the water....maybe I am recommending the wrong things......

Rite of Spring.

Chopin. Bacarolle

VW 6

(I am also thinking some Steve Reich would probably be good..but I will leave that to the experts).
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

how are they going to listen ?

(sorry, I know I bang on about this far too much ............)

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      how are they going to listen ?

(sorry, I know I bang on about this far too much ............)
      I have assume with some interest (!) since we are in a discussion. Personally speaking, I would recommend to them to listen after having done a little research on the piece, how it was conceived, maybe historical perspective, just something to put it in context.
      And you would.......(if you would, of course!)
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

I meant
        Live ? alone ? with headphones ? in the car ? while washing up ? at a concert ? while walking the dog /
        etc etc etc

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Alone. On CD. Whilst actually listening to the music as an single activity. No multi tasking.
          Maybe having a beer or a cig if the mood takes them. or a cup of tea, But not making one.
          not washing the car. Or themselves.
          Maybe walking the dog using headphones, as this works for ER apparently.

edit. However they want, actually. although not with old episodes of "Prison Break " playing in the next room.......(which is ruining my enjoyment of some Brahms Piano tunes just now...)

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

So assuming that it is at home on headphones (which might be totally wrong I know ?)

Reich: Music for Mallet instruments ,voices and organ
            Shostakovitch: 8th Quartet
            John Cage: Sonatas and Interludes

for today anyway

Comment

• Extended Play

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Would you like to suggest 3 pieces of broadly Classical music that you would recommend to somebody who professed to have no interest in the genre.
              Not really! But in keeping with the spirit of this thread, how about:

Richard Rodney Bennett Four piece suite
              Arturo Marquez Danzon No 2
              Saint-Saens Piano Concerto No 5

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

I'd have thought the age of that “somebody” might be a deciding factor. I don't think I'd recommend any piece of (broadly) classical music to anyone over, let's say, 35. I strongly believe (but may be wrong, of course) that the impetus should come from within. If by that time in their life people haven't been tempted to listen to classical music I don't think they ever will take to the genre. - Although old dogs and new tricks and all that. . .
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I'd find out what their current Musical interests are first. But I bet Bach'd appeal anyway!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                    I'd have thought the age of that “somebody” might be a deciding factor. I don't think I'd recommend any piece of (broadly) classical music to anyone over, let's say, 35. I strongly believe (but may be wrong, of course) that the impetus should come from within. If by that time in their life people haven't been tempted to listen to classical music I don't think they ever will take to the genre. - Although old dogs and new tricks and all that. . .
                    I kind of assumed that they might be interested enough to give something a go, and might respond to a suggestion. I certainly would if someone said this is one of 3 pieces of .......(insert genre)that you might really get something out of.
                    I find other peoples enthusiasm infectious...even if it isn't always, in the end transferable .....
                    Last edited by teamsaint; 08-10-12, 22:17.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Goodness knows, I've tried over the years to get friends and family to share my interest in classical music but it's been a case of stony ground, I'm afraid. I come from a family with no musical background whatsoever so my interest is a bit of a puzzle to all.

Anyway, my three choices would be:

Beethoven 6

Elgar Cockaigne Overture

Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique

and if all else fails

Tchaikovsky Nutcracker Act 2.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Roberto Gerhardt - Symphony No 1 - juast to give 'em a surefire taster of the sheer thrill offered by some advanced modern musics.

Comment

• Osborn

This hypothetical person should go to a concert at a great concert hall, featuring an attractive soloist & youngish conductor, make an evening of it with a meal or some drinks & give me his/her football ticket.

Programme chould include Pictures from an Exhibition - easy to follow, visually exciting, soft & noisy, fast & slow, no episode lasts more than about 4mins.

By comparison, listening alone to a CD is about as interesting as looking at the Alps with your eyes closed.
                          Last edited by Guest; 09-10-12, 18:35.

Comment

• Northender

The last movement of Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 24 (K491)
                            The last movement of Elgar's 1st symphony
                            The 'Bailero' from Canteloube's Songs of the Auvergne

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                              • Jul 2011

This is difficult! Surely much depends on the personality and musical leanings of the person you're hoping to get interested. The most unexpected people respond positively to Baroque music - maybe the opening of the Goldberg Variations or (at the other extreme) the last movement of the Italian Concerto would do the trick. Janacek Sinfonietta? Louis Andriessen De Staat? Reich's Desert Music? A bit of Gregorian chant or some Perotin? Or a big lush (and presumably partly familiar) score like Also Sprach Zarathustra? Lever de jour from Daphnis or L'apres-midi d'un faune? Bluebeard's 5th door or the final scene of Lulu? Sorry - way over my quota here, but, as I said, there must be as many ways in as there are potential new listeners. Perhaps also find out what has put them off in the past and find the complete opposite!

Comment

Working...
                              X