X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Actually, love is not a stative verb, is it? How can it be?
    Stative verbs cover situations that last for quite some time. I hope that - for you - "love" is one of those.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      Stative verbs cover situations that last for quite some time. I hope that - for you - "love" is one of those.
      OMG Vints, you are such an old smoothy I always forgive you everything! (And he knows it, which is even worse)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Grimes is at his exercise....

(Nurse!! Bucket for Mr Caliban!! Quick!)

... I blame Queensway
        I love (regularly, but not continuously ) the dim sum at Royal China, Queensway.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Grimes is at his exercise.... You appear to have caught a Crabbe, Caliban! Or was it a Forster?

(Nurse!! Bucket for Mr Caliban!! Quick!)

I love (regularly, but not continuously) the dim sum at Royal China, Queensway.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

personally speaking, in a sweeping generalisation kind of way....I like Piano music, Plenty of it. Just don't like half witted chatter in between the tunes.
            I have been at the lovely footer this afternoon, and this thread doesn'yt seem related to piano playing any more.
            and I couldn't resist posting, just to see if RM still has me on ignore...or if he will thank me for getting his thread back on topic. I bet he does.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              OMG Vints
              OMG Vints is loving that OMG ROFL !!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                personally speaking, in a sweeping generalisation kind of way....I like Piano music, Plenty of it. Just don't like half witted chatter in between the tunes.
                I have been at the lovely footer this afternoon, and this thread doesn'yt seem related to piano playing any more.
                and I couldn't resist posting, just to see if RM still has me on ignore...or if he will thank me for getting his thread back on topic. I bet he does.

** say a chap has another chap on ignore, call him chap number two; if a third chap quotes a message from chap number two, then chap number one will be able to see it, in spite of having chap number two on ignore, y'see

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

OMG Vints is loving that OMG ROFL !!
                  Am I right in thinking that you rode the roflcopter, Cali?
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

'I am thanking you', TS or should that be 'I thank you' ?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

this thread doesn'yt seem related to piano playing any more.
                      Point well made

I shall therefore wrest it back on topic by saying that I tend to agree about inane chatter - but the only chatter I've caught has been by deliberately downloading the podcasts of the "A to Z of the piano" - having caught one when it was broadcast and much enjoyed (ok, vindetable? ) David Owen Norris's comments about duets. They are variable little programmes, but some nuggets in there (I enjoyed H for Hiring - some good anecdotes) and each time Norris is involved, it's worth hearing.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                        'I am thanking you', TS or should that be 'I thank you' ?
                        Excellent, I hope to resume our various discussions!

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Point well made

I shall therefore wrest it back on topic by saying that I tend to agree about inane chatter - but the only chatter I've caught has been by deliberately downloading the podcasts of the "A to Z of the piano" - having caught one when it was broadcast and much enjoyed (ok, vindetable? ) David Owen Norris's comments about duets. They are variable little programmes, but some nuggets in there (I enjoyed H for Hiring - some good anecdotes) and each time Norris is involved, it's worth hearing.
                          Ane chat is great !! I like learning ! Its the inane stuff does my head in !
                          Will listen out for the bits you recommend !

I assume Ane is the opposite of Inane?!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Ane chat is great !! I like learning ! Its the inane stuff does my head in !
                            Will listen out for the bits you recommend !

I assume Ane is the opposite of Inane?!
                            Your eptitude in the language does you credit. Vindepays will be along in a moment with his cane to rap your knuckles if not...

Here's the page which lists the piano poscasts: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/pianoatoz It tells you when D.O.Norris is at work. Duets, Hiring, Keys, Left-hand were rather good - but they're so short you might as well download them all.

Am I right in thinking that you rode the roflcopter, Cali?
                            Yup that was me

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Your eptitude in the language does you credit. Vindepays will be along in a moment with his cane to rap your knuckles if not...

Here's the page which lists the piano poscasts: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/pianoatoz It tells you when D.O.Norris is at work. Duets, Hiring, Keys, Left-hand were rather good - but they're so short you might as well download them all.

Yup that was me
                              There must be a description for words that don't have an opposite...Don't know what it is though.
                              I shall try to catch the DON's wise words...well thought of local boy, what's not to like?!

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

I am just catching up with this thread....or indeed I have just caught up with it, and feel I must put in my twopence worth. Feel free to leave now.

As you are still here.....

Back in the days when I were a lad and being taught Latin (some people say that was only a year or two after it was still being spoken), we were told that "amo" could mean "I love, I am loving" or "I do love". It all depended on the context. So, like Alice, I must declare you are all correct, and all deserve a prize.

I'm not sure that "ane" (at least as an opposite of "inane") and "ept" exist as words, apt though they might be. They bring to mind this quote from the masterly PGW:

I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.

Comment

Working...
                                X