X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man
    • Sep 2024

Oh no! Not more ruddy piano

Heard this morning on R3......... " and we are now half way through the Piano season"..................

Groan.....I wondered why my R3 listening hours had plummeted to new depths. Last week it was about 45 minutes. The Thursday evening Jupiter was rather fine, I thought.

No more..please. I thought the Schubert In-Fest-ation was bad enough.

Ah well....at least there is some Wagner to look forward to this afternoon.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
    Ah well....at least there is some Wagner to look forward to this afternoon.
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

or even better

Green Benefit for Child Fund International - Children Affected by the Japan Earthquake - Thursday, October 20th Benefit Concert

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

What the heck was that? Very strange instrument. I think I prefer the Hindemith string quartet version of the Flying Dutchman!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Or

As played at sight by a second-rate Concert Orchestra at the Village Well at 7 o'clock in the morning.As mentioned in The Rest is Noise.

Then again, some people may prefer a famous piece by John Cage.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        What the heck was that? Very strange instrument.

Then again, some people may prefer a famous piece by John Cage.
        Margaret Leng Tan is the goddess of the toy piano
        and the Cage suite is brilliant as well

Margaret Leng Tan, foremost performer of new piano music and the world's first toy piano virtuoso. ('The queen of the toy piano' - The New York Times.) Her John Cage and George Crumb recordings are legendary.

has any of this features in the Piano season ?
        if not why not

(I once went to a whole evening of toy piano music in Budapest , when the concert was over we searched frantically for a drum and bass or reggae club to reacquaint ourselves with the idea of BASS )

more here

Comment

• JimD
          • Nov 2010

I have been reduced to listening to Classic FM occasionally, to avoid the dreaded plink plonk. But then the adverts come on...or The Lark Ascending (again). Roll on the 6th of November.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by JimD View Post
            I have been reduced to listening to Classic FM occasionally, to avoid the dreaded plink plonk. But then the adverts come on...or The Lark Ascending (again). Roll on the 6th of November.
            I'm OK listening to Classic FM until it comes to the bowel cancer adverts. Then the off switch is conveniently to hand.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Personally, I'm loving the piano season. Saves having to listen to too many singers.

As long as one avoids the Liszt, that is (happily I was out of the country when he was CotW)
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Personally, I'm loving the piano season. Saves having to listen to too many singers.

As long as one avoids the Liszt, that is (happily I was out of the country when he was CotW)
                Your diary secretary is worth his weight in nibbed cashews, I'd say Caliban

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

What's your issue with Liszt?

I have yet to really warm to him, though one or two pieces have almost grabbed me ('Au Lac du Wallenstad', 'Pensées des Morts')...it just seems so batty, and that he uses the same dynamic tricks a lot.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... I'm loving [it] ...
                    ... do we take it our Calibber has taken to frequenting Macdonald's?

May we remind him that the verb "to love" has as its present tense "I love".

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Methinks Lady Vints was a tad parsimonious with the Auntie Bessie's this luncheontide

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Yes, I think the blood sugar must have dipped dangerously - I think you're talking through your pedantic chapeau, monsieur...

Fine - I love the piano. But in the middle of a current and continuing event (the piano season): I am loving it (the ongoing event), seems to me a perfectly legitimate thing to say.

Comment

• Anna

I cannot say that I am loving it but it's better than continuous Schubert lieder which seemed to be the vogue a couple of months ago. Thought the Wagner this afternoon made a very nice change, a bit of oomph rather than plinky-plonk. I don't think these mini-Fests or marathons are a good thing, as someone remarked here during the BachFest "Oh No, not another bluddy cantata"

Comment

• JimD
                            • Nov 2010

Much as I fail to share Caliban's musical sentiments, isn't the existence of more than one present tense well-acknowledged in English? And, anyway, languages change.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                              Much as I fail to share Caliban's musical sentiments, isn't the existence of more than one present tense well-acknowledged in English?
                              They are essential to convey different meanings. If someone in the interval of an opera comes up to you and says "Are you enjoying it?", replying "yes I'm loving it" is a more precise answer than "yes I love it" which would convey a more general appreciation of attending operas (including the one which is the subject of the question).

Comment

Working...
                              X