The things they write on the side of lorries....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anotherbob
    • Sep 2011

The things they write on the side of lorries....

I must have been bored recently because I have become diverted by what is written on the sides of lorries. Eddie Stobart's trucks now have the words "delivering sustainable distribution" written on them. Not "delivering fruit & veg" or "delivering cement". What is "sustainable distribution" and what do you do with it when it has been delivered? Would it be possible to re-arrange the words and have the trucks "distributing sustainable deliverance" (maybe that is the C of E's job.)
    Apart from the Stobart trucks almost every other truck is delivering "logistics", another commodity never found in trucks when I was a lad. I'd try to get out more but I'd only see more trucks.
  • decantor
    • Dec 2010

When not delivering logistics, they're delivering solutions. I'm never sure whether there's increased demand for dissolved products, or whether there are far more problems around than there used to be.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

There is an interesting point here, beyond the lorry nonsense.
      Its well worth keeping awake to the language that is used all around us every day. There are a lot of negative thoughts around, many of them in the realm of creating dissatisfaction, or feelings of inadequacy..and we really need those !!
      Examples might include Life insurance ads which play on the fear that you aren't doing the right thing by your family, when of course, you probably already are .
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
        • Nov 2010

As one of the 'service users' of this web page, I have been trying to 'unpick' what this thread is all about.

I've 'focused' on some of the people that I work with and have discovered that residents in the local Home for the Elderly are no longer residents but 'service users' and the local undertaker no longer cares for the bereaved but for his 'clients.' I have recently had an 'appraisal' by the 'line manager' in charge of my 'performance management'. She set some 'objectives' and 'targets' for me as she has done for some of my fellow 'operatives'. (I know that 'fellow' is politically incorrect but co-operatives makes no sense.)

I've noticed when travelling on trains that the next place you can get of the train is the next station, stop. (e.g Manchester Victoria is the next station stop) Presumably that is to prevent the rail company being sued if the train stops before the station and somebody gets out and is hurt. But aren't all traindoors securely locked by the guard until the train stops at the 'station stop'?

Perhaps someone will fill out an 'evaluation sheet' about what help what I have written has been to them.

'No problem!!!!

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

:weep:

Comment

• anotherbob
            • Sep 2011

It's not just lorries....
            Our local bobbies have a mission statement displayed on their cars, "fighting crime, protecting people", just in case they might forget what they signed up for. Mind you it would make their job easier if the local villains had "breaking and entering" emblazoned down the side of their Mitsubishi Evos.
            One for window cleaners...? "transparency in the workplace"

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

"Getting off the train"? Ah - you really mean "detraining"

My all time favourite lorry slogan was years ago on the side of a potato lorry.
              EAT MORE CHIPS
              Such simplicity long gone...

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
                I have become diverted by what is written on the sides of lorries. .
                ... tho' some do have the glimmerings of an amused sense of word-play : - while waiting at a bus stop this morning I saw a large Kingsmill bread lorry, with the strap-line : "On the road to slicing emissions"

Comment

• anotherbob
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... tho' some do have the glimmerings of an amused sense of word-play
                  Not word play; but comical, seen on the back of our local baker's van "no pies are kept in this vehicle overnight".

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Does anyone remember that French lorries used to carry bumper stickers saying

Je roule pour vous?

I don't go to France much but I remember them being ubiquitous in the sixties and seventies. This was no doubt an attempt to pacify drivers fuming behind some lorry travelling at 38kph along a winding road.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Back in the old days there was a baker's van came round our scheme - Dalziel's was the company - from Coatbridge I seem to remember.

On the side of the van was a picture of a horse on its back, hooves in the air with a speech bubble: 'A good roll doth satisfy!'

Comment

• DoctorT

A local plumber's van has on it's side 'To Finaghy and Beyond,' (Finaghy being on the outskirts of Belfast).

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

I liked the Birmingham Asian builders van with the logo
                          " You've tried the cowboys, now try the Indians ! !!
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Anna

Does anyone remember, travelling in France, "Les routiers sont sympas" I was not sure what it meant but thought truckers liked small dogs. Not sure why, did the bumper stickers have a dog laughing?
                            Edit: Motorway cruising, Norbert Dentressangle was worth a zillion more points than Stobart!
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-10-12, 18:18.

Comment

• scottycelt

My favourite is a rather common sight on Tesco's (or is it Sainsburys?) delivery vans ... You Shop, We Drop.

As slogans go it's quite perfect ... concise, a witty 'take' on an already familiar phrase, and wholly accurate.

A marketing man/woman's dream ...

Comment

Working...
                              X