• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Leeds Piano Competition

Has anyone started a thread about this anywhere? Just watched the first programme, which after the usual fannying [!] about gave us Prokofiev's 2nd piano concerto, ably directed by Mark Elder. Blimey what a piece, and what a brave choice for a competition.
  • amateur51

Must've got the order wrong I'm listening to the Swiss pianist Louis Schwizgebel playing Beethoven piano concerto no 4. Nice accompaniment from the Hallé and Sir Mark Elder I thought (cracking woodwind) and some nice moments from the lad who is a bit of a face-puller but it looks sincere enough. His trills are sometimes a touch industrial (they got better) and his performance strikes me as still having to be integrated into a whole instead of being a series 'and this is how I do this' moments. Lots of promise though.

In his pre-performance chat with Suzy he confessed that he wasn't that concerned about winning which nearly caused Suzy to leap from her seat and give him a good ear-boxing P'raps it was a courtship moment?

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

and some mention here: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...ht=Leeds+Piano
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Must've got the order wrong . . .
        No, you didn't.
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          fannying [!]
          Good one!

That was the second programme actually, aards.

I'm looking forward to the last 3 in particular - I recorded that half of the final on R3 and have enjoyed the performances, and am keen to see them in performance.

PS No spoilers please - I've managed to avoid knowing who won - want to hear them all first
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Good one!

That was the second programme actually, aards.

I'm looking forward to the last 3 in particular - I recorded that half of the final on R3 and have enjoyed the performances, and am keen to see them in performance.

PS No spoilers please - I've managed to avoid knowing who won - want to hear them all first
            If I were you, I would avoid pubs, churches and other public places.....and lets hope the weather in Leeds is ok !!
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              If I were you, I would avoid pubs, churches and other public places.....and lets hope the weather in Leeds is ok !!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=9q30ZaJxZH4
              Without looking, I presume that to involve the Likely Lads?

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

remember it was England F.........that they saw on the front page
                so don't so much as glimpse the Red tops !!
                Yup, Likely Lads...we've all done it !!
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Is it my imagination or is the coverage of the Leeds Competition better than I had anticipated, bearing in mind the BBC's recent record with such events? A whole concerto uninterrupted was not what I had expected. Could they be realising that treating these events as celebrity nonsense is not what the audience wants? I'm sure we'd all prefer the traditional almost-live coverage, but this was a reasonable compromise.

Having recently watched a few recordings from last year's televised Proms, I think some of the gimmicks have gone from this year's coverage too - no backstage cameras, conductor's-eye view on the red button or excessive "celebrity" interviews. Has the return to a less superficial coverage of televised music begun?

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                    Has the return to a less superficial coverage of televised music begun?
                    We can but hope.

Mrs Flay wanted to watch some of the X-Factor last night. I chuckled to myself thinking how the Leeds fest would look if given the same sort of production: the judges sitting on sofas along with the competitors, tearfully telling them that they were not up to the mark, that they would not go through to the next round. Then the failed would be interviewed, with close-ups of their tear- and snot-smudged faces; wailing about their ruined lives, how they did not know how they would support themselves and their illegitimate children now they couldn't win the prize, how their lives were now ruined etc etc....

So it could be a lot worse
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                      So it could be a lot worse
                      Give it time!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Just watched the first programme, which after the usual fannying [!] about gave us Prokofiev's 2nd piano concerto, ably directed by Mark Elder. Blimey what a piece, and what a brave choice for a competition.
                        Correction. It should read 'the first programme that Mrs Ardcarp got round to recording'

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Correction. It should read 'the first programme that Mrs Ardcarp got round to recording'

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Just heard/seen the next finalist; Australian playing The Emperor. It was a tasteful performance, beautifully projected, which avoided any temptation to 'mess about' with the piece in order to be different. This led me to ponder upon the old question of the inherent problem with competitions of this sort. How on earth do you judge between finalists, some of whom are playing very standard repertoire (i.e. B's 5th concerto) and some playing Prokofiev's 2nd and 3rd, which are of an order of technical difficulty somewhere in the stratosphere?
                            This led me to look online at the final result of the competition which I won't divulge in case it spoils anyone's fun. I can't quite understand why this info is available online when BBC4 still hasn't finished the series.

Comment

• Pianorak
                              • Nov 2010

. . . I can't quite understand why this info is available online when BBC4 still hasn't finished the series.
                              The Competition ran from 29 Aug to 16 Sep. Once the result was announced all the media carried the news, ie it's been in the public domain since 16 September. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...n-final-review

Comment

Working...
                              X