X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Pianist Julia Cload has died

Julia Cload, who recorded a good many of the piano sonatas of Haydn and JS Bach Goldberg variations, both for Meridian records, has died aged 65

Julia Cload, the pianist, who has died aged 65, won high praise from critics from her imaginative, individual interpretations of Bach and Haydn.

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Not a name I've previously encountered, but 65 is no age.

There are so many talented Musicians who should feature more prominently - anyone know Nicola Meecham? I heard her in two recitals getting on for twenty years ago (she played Mompou far better than the composer did!) and nothing since.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Julia Cload deserved to have been much better known, but she did not like travelling and became ill on a journey through the channel tunnel. Her Bach 48 and Goldbergs, among other recordings, were rightly praised for their rare honesty, selflessness, and engaging humanity; qualities which are perhaps difficult to explain, but seemed so evident especially in her live performances.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
        • Jul 2011

I heard her play Mozart K488, possibly 30 years ago, with the RLPO. It is bizarre how active performers still manage to slip out of the public's consciousness (as indeed do some composers) - I had hardly thought of her in the interim but she seems to have been busy but unrecognised.

Comment

• Lordgeous
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Not a name I've previously encountered, but 65 is no age.

There are so many talented Musicians who should feature more prominently - anyone know Nicola Meecham? I heard her in two recitals getting on for twenty years ago (she played Mompou far better than the composer did!) and nothing since.
          Nicola is alive and well, performing, teaching and recording - her Enescu, Janacek & Kodaly recital for Somm, a couple of years ago, was extremely well reviewed.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
            Nicola is alive and well, performing, teaching and recording - her Enescu, Janacek & Kodaly recital for Somm, a couple of years ago, was extremely well reviewed.http://www.nicolameecham.co.uk
            Very many thanks, Lordgeous: such good news.

And a warm welcome to the Forum! Please stay and join in our many and very varied discussions.
            Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 01-12-12, 17:55.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Sad news. I heard her play the Goldbergs at a lunchtime concert in Winchester Cathedral in 1993. I think she'd just recorded them. IIRC I had to run back to work because it the concert had run on past 2pm:horror:
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Lordgeous
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                Nicola is alive and well, performing, teaching and recording - her Enescu, Janacek & Kodaly recital for Somm, a couple of years ago, was extremely well reviewed.

http://www.nicolameecham.co.uk
                Nice youtube video:

Kodaly, Seven Piano Pieces Op.111. Lento4. Epitaph (1'30")7. Rubato (6'51")Nicola Meecham (piano)Kodaly's Seven Piano Pieces Op. 11 were completed by 1918. T...

Comment

Working...
                X