Is Michael Gove as dangerous as he sounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Based upon what evidence?

The standards of newly qualified teachers is probably higher than it has ever been. When I qualified, you could get though your PGCE year just by turning up.Not so now, when the standards are so much more exacting.
    I am not blaming the teachers or the students.

I am a natural supporter of education in a non-pushy way. I'm a believer in people achieving their best with reference to realistic, personally relevant, boundaries. I oppose both the criticism and the over-promotion of limited ability. What matters to me is effort.

I feel though that the grades that are awarded are too soft. There are people getting A grades in English - British people with English as their first, and even only, language - who, with the best will in the world, cannot speak using proper sentences.

I am prepared to make all kinds of allowances - eg people don't tend to speak as they write, nor should they; some use the language of the street to obscure ability; there is a place for dialect; and no one is perfect : certainly I fall a very long way short - but I can tell if someone would be able to write coherently.

It is in the pronunciation, the use of key words, the shape of spoken sentences beyond the slang. And some of the A graders just don't have it. That is happening a lot and it is difficult to applaud.
    Last edited by Guest; 31-07-12, 13:31.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I see what you mean, Lat. The standard of written and spoken English is not good. When I hear French exchange students speaking English, they do so far better than many of their hosts.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        I see what you mean, Lat. The standard of written and spoken English is not good. When I hear French exchange students speaking English, they do so far better than many of their hosts.
        Spot on.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Cage? Love him!

If only his tenure as Ed Sec had not exceeded 4'33", though...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            Cage? Love him!

If only his tenure as Ed Sec had not exceeded 4'33", though...
            If only he had taken Cage's example and kept quiet, though on a permanent basis.

Comment

Working...
            X