X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Space junk

And I thought this was about the internet, or the amount of spam I've been getting lately...

A suspected meteor shower spotted in the skies above Northern Ireland was probably space junk say experts.
    Last edited by Pabmusic; 22-09-12, 11:26.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    And I thought this was about the internet, or the amount of spam I've been getting lately...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19683728

Shame it was too cloudy here in the SE to have witnessed this. I did see a meteor about a fortnight ago from this window. I just happened to be aimlessly looking out at the time. Witnesses of last night's event described seeing the objects passing overhead at about the speed one would associate with an overflying military aircraft, which has led expert commentators to remark that, had what was seen been meteor material, it would have gone by much faster. Indeed, had I intended spotting it I would probably have blinked at the crucial moment.

Comment

• Anna

I saw it, and reports came in early this morning from the North-East, Midlands, Wales, not just Scotland and N. Ireland. Initially I thought it may have been just shooting stars or aircraft, but after the exploding meteorite we had at the end of August, I just thought 'go with the glow' It was brilliant, on a fantastically clear night and, way things are going, another really starry night again. The sort of night you want to take your Professor Brian Cox handbook out and lie in the field, just in awe of the cosmos.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        The sort of night you want to take your Professor Brian Cox handbook out and lie in the field, just in awe of the cosmos.
        ... now, why did I read that as -

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        The sort of night you want to take your Professor Brian Cox out and lie in the field, just in awe of the cosmos.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... now, why did I read that as -
          At least you left Professor Brian in, Vints!

Comment

• Anna

I think vints was imagining myself and Prof. Brian Cox as having a Madeleine moment. As you do.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

I saw it too from Lincolnshire
              to start with I thought it was them playing with the Lancaster Bomber again
              but what I saw was more or less like this (without the wonderful language as everyone else was asleep )

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• John Wright
                • Mar 2007

Yup! At about 10.45pm after a stint of baby-sitting I was sat at the lights at Hearsall Common, Coventry. Saw a light moving slowly, looked quite low not far away, so I thought it was a cop helicopter. Then there was two of them and I thought can't be two copters so close, then a whole line of them looking like flames, I got scared then thinking a plane was coming down. Traffic started moving, and as I turned a corner I then thought it had been a reflection in my windscreen and thought nothing more.

Now I see that hundreds of folk saw this, but if we all saw the same meteor it must have been very high up and far off, yet it looked to me like it was travelling slowly less than say 500ft up and seemed to be coming down just north of Coventry. If so many people saw it it must have been huge??

Might have been a meteor breaking up, or an old satelite.

Keep up-to-date with what's going on in the UK and around the world with the top headlines and breaking news from Yahoo and other publishers.
                - - -

John W

Comment

Working...
                X