Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Entirely OT, one of my favourite 'unusual' album covers:

and then there's this highly derivative one:

Life in the fast lane?

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        Just think - someone actually spent time devising this.

Makes the time we spend here look positively well-spent

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          I love a fried egg - not with bacon but with dry-fried large, flat mushrooms (you cook them first, then store in a hot oven), chopped hot chillies and tomatoes...
          Sounds yummy does that.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Brautigam plays a modern copy. No ivory is likely to have been used.
            Surely a charging elephant isn't to much to sacrifice in the name of musical authenticity

Comment

• rkyburz

Originally posted by David-G View Post
              Perhaps I should try to get these. Do you know what piano he plays in these recordings?
              Hi David, sry - missed that thread ...

For all his Mozart sonata and variation recordings, Brautigam plays a Walter fortepiano (1805) — a replica built by Paul McNulty (Amsterdam) in 1992; Walter fortepiani are marvelous instruments, indeed! I don't have CDs of Mozart concerts with Brautigam, so there I can't tell the instrument. For his Beethoven concert recordings (with Andrew Parrot) he uses a modern concert grand (Steinway D). For most Beethoven works for solo piano he also uses Walter instruments, for the late Beethoven he then switches to a Graf replica (1819), and for the earliest works he uses a Stein replica (1788) - all by McNulty.
              Last edited by Guest; 22-09-12, 18:27. Reason: typos

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                Surely a charging elephant isn't to much to sacrifice in the name of musical authenticity
                Let's hope this elephant did not die entirely in vain, and at least provided a few keys.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  I find the JEG Bach Cantata CD covers a bit odd - & slightly exploitative, even though they are stock images & not taken especially for the CDs.

But 'irrelevant' images aren't new - was it Ace of Clubs or Eclipse that used pictures of National Trust properties?
                  Classics for Pleasure had quite a few . I am sure Horenstein's Mahler 4 had a picture of Norfolk on the cover and my old EMI Eminence LPs of Jochum's LSO Beethoven cycle have various Scottish scenes !

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    Classics for Pleasure had quite a few . I am sure Horenstein's Mahler 4 had a picture of Norfolk on the cover
                    Did they subsequently change it, Barbs? The only cover I ever saw was this:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Did they subsequently change it, Barbs? The only cover I ever saw was this:

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=2203771
                      Just a few days ago I was doing some cleaning and dug out that very same lp with the same cover from a cabinet (with Mahler on the cover, not Norfolk). The lp is in terrible condition. Regrettably, my searches for a CD recording are showing inordinate prices. Amazon has a used copy for $50 US, and and for the same amount of $ I can buy it as part of a 16 disc EMI Mahler set (which duplicates many other recordings that i already have, such as Barbirolli's 9th.
                      Last edited by richardfinegold; 23-09-12, 12:17. Reason: update

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Thanks, ferneyhough. I tried navigated the crotchet site to find that recording and could not get the search engine to recognize it, but I really enjoy the exposure to the MusicWeb site that your post has provided, and will probably while away many hours there. In the meantime, I searched the Amazon US site again just looking for the EMI set and found it for $30 US and ordered. I also turned up a CD version of Horenstein's Mathis and Death and Transfiguration for about $3 US, which duplicates another Horenstein lp of mine that is virtually unplayable, so it's been a good morning.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

This one has mystified me ever since it appeared a few years ago - what has a deer in what looks like a multi-storey car park got to do with the Brandenburg Concertos?

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              This one has mystified me ever since it appeared a few years ago - what has a deer in what looks like a multi-storey car park got to do with the Brandenburg Concertos?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Branden...8401632&sr=1-1
                              Where else would a deer park in town these days?

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                                Just a few days ago I was doing some cleaning and dug out that very same lp with the same cover from a cabinet (with Mahler on the cover, not Norfolk). The lp is in terrible condition. Regrettably, my searches for a CD recording are showing inordinate prices. Amazon has a used copy for $50 US, and and for the same amount of $ I can buy it as part of a 16 disc EMI Mahler set (which duplicates many other recordings that i already have, such as Barbirolli's 9th.
                                This is something which has infuriated me, too, making me want to scream: "SOMEONE PLEASE RE-RELEASE ALL OF HORENSTEIN'S MAHLER!"

The only solution I have found is to download just that one symphony from the EMI set via Amazon. The Classical Shop have his Mahler 1 and Mahler 3 (Unicorn-Kanchana) to download, but I'm 'old school' and still would rather buy a disc.

Comment

Working...
                                X