X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Strange one... As far as I can make out, none of the individuals depicted is either Strauss or Walter.

All rather British I would say - those Eton collars...

Comment

• LezLee
      • Apr 2019

Great Elgarian moustaches!

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Perhaps they are out on the course after a bit of a Domestica....
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Since when is a work composed between 1901 and 1902 a 19th Century Classic?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

"...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
              Strange one... As far as I can make out, none of the individuals depicted is either Strauss or Walter.

But that’s one hell,of a baton he’s using!

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Derek was quite a card. He may well have come up with that title himself.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Derek was quite a card. He may well have come up with that title himself.
                    Amazing knowledge, Bryn
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Amazing knowledge, Bryn
                      I interviewed him, along with other Chieftains, for the (London version of) Caribbean Times in the green Room after an RFH concert back in the early 1980s. He had me in fits with his anecdotes, and what a versatile musician!

Comment

• RichardB
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2021

I interviewed him, along with other Chieftains, for the (London version of) Caribbean Times in the green Room after an RFH concert back in the early 1980s. He had me in fits with his anecdotes, and what a versatile musician!
                        I've seen the Chieftains twice, and I couldn't hear them properly either time. One time was because they were playing against an impossibly dense collage of field recordings in John Cage's piece based on Finnegans Wake and the other was because I was somewhere in the stratosphere of the RAH and most of their sound had evaporated into reverberation by the time it reached me.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                          I've seen the Chieftains twice, and I couldn't hear them properly either time. One time was because they were playing against an impossibly dense collage of field recordings in John Cage's piece based on Finnegans Wake and the other was because I was somewhere in the stratosphere of the RAH and most of their sound had evaporated into reverberation by the time it reached me.
                          I would contend that the members of the Chieftains were not actually performing as The Chieftains in Roaratorio on Finnegans Wake. My then flute tutor and I chatted with Matt Molloy during a hiatus in the proceedings at the Cage at 70 series of concerts in Islington. He was a pains to point out that while they were from The Chieftans, they were not, in this instance, playing as The Chieftans, regardless of what any promotional material for the event may have said. I seem to recall that the Proms performance of Roaratorio on Finnegans Wake may also have billed the musician of The Chieftans under that name, but again, that is not how they actually performed. At their RFH concert I mentioned, I was fortunate enough to have a freebee stalls ticket and was able to both hear and see them clearly. Bell's antics on stage gave rise to much laughter among the audience, especially when he introduced and played an 'old opry' item, drawing out the links to folk traditions from Ireland in that music.

Comment

• RichardB
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2021

I would contend that the members of the Chieftains were not actually performing as The Chieftains in Roaratorio on Finnegans Wake.
                            That didn't affect their audibility, unfortunately.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              People here may just be old enough to recall from "Beyond the fringe":

"And now, Dudley Moore continues to play with himself, this time in a setting by Schubert of Schiller's poem "Die Flabberghast", in which the poet and his lover sit down and bemoan... and bemoan... Did Flabberghast".

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

The subject of this thread has been revived onthe Carter thread, so I thought it might be worth looking at again.

We all have our un-favourite covers. I had to cover-up the Previn Rachmaninov 3rd symphony as I couldn't bear to look at it. And like others, I laughed aloud at that Leinsdorf Phase Four Mahler 1, a real 70s flower-power job.

Some covers would put me off buying the disc, even if I wanted it. John Eliot Gardiner's Bach cantata series featured asiatic fishermen, etc. Perhaps someone could explain to me what that had to do with Bach Cantatas.

Comment

Working...
                                X