Christian rights cases go before Strasbourg court - a case of double standards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man

Some interesting comments along the lines of 'well, the law changes..and if you don't like then tough..move on'.

Logically, one should apply the same sentiment towards benefit cuts.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
      Some interesting comments along the lines of 'well, the law changes..and if you don't like then tough..move on'.

Or even, say, swiftly-binned pre-election promises from young Nick on student fees ... ?

Comment

• amateur51

I believe that's what people who claim benefits are being told, RM and those who are currently in employment re their State pensions, and .. etc

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

But not being able to wear a cross with your uniform, or having to provide services to everyone, not just those people you approve of, isn't likely to lead to your death.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            But not being able to wear a cross with your uniform, or having to provide services to everyone, not just those people you approve of, isn't likely to lead to your death.
            Gosh, I hadn't realised.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              In a secular society I can see the valid reason(s) for the first (though the Health & Safety one promoted by the authorities is largely typical management clap-trap)

The second is quite different. It is the equivalent of demanding that a pacifist has regular shooting practice, or he/she loses his/her job.

It is an affront to both human dignity and individual conscience and makes a nonsense of a genuinely 'liberal' idea of society.

Maybe not lead to any deaths, but for those directly affected a pretty horrible, mentally torturous existence ...
              Last edited by Guest; 19-01-13, 14:45. Reason: missed 'r' indicating different meaning

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                In a secular society I can see the valid reason(s) for the first (though the Health & Safety one promoted by the authorities is largely typical management clap-trap)

The second is quite different. It is the equivalent of demanding that a pacifist has regular shooting practice, or he/she loses his/her job.

It is an affront to both human dignity and individual conscience and makes a nonsense of a genuinely 'liberal' idea of society.

Maybe not lead to any deaths, but for those directly affected a pretty horrible, mentally torturous existence ...
                You need to get your head around two facts, scotty.

Same-sex couples exist, they are a fact, a reality. They pay taxes, including Council Tax, and thus expect a respectful service from all local authority employees.

Christian objections to providing a service to same-sex couples also exist but only in certain Christian people's heads. In the same way that Muslim staff at Sainsbury's checkout will handle pre-packaged bacon at the check-out, Christians can choose to over-ride their principles for a living wage. Surely God will know of the struggle that they are going through and will forgive them? I thought that forgiveness was at the centre of the deal?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

a pretty horrible, mentally torturous existence ...
                  Self inflicted.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    In the same way that Muslim staff at Sainsbury's checkout will handle pre-packaged bacon at the check-out, Christians can choose to over-ride their principles for a living wage. :
                    "Christians" also seem to have no problem with joining the army, being rich or making money out of other peoples misfortune (which strangely one would think were also matters of principle ?)
                    so i'm sure they can cope

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I am surprised Ms Ladele as a practising Christian wanted to be a registrar anyway - surely she does not recognise civil marriage as being equivalent to a religious ceremony and therefore she was encouraging fornication outside of wedlock .

I am going to make no further comment on this thread - scottycelt considers it an affront to human dignity not to be allowed to discriminate against someone on grounds of their sexual orientation - there is no point arguing with someone who is self-evidently no more than a bigot seeking to cloth his bigotry in the garb of conscience .

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Comment

• scottycelt

I'm not cowed by personal abuse at all, in fact it always makes me smile. Therefore I have a certain sympathy with the member who has rather belatedly discovered that this hasn't worked and is now off to do something presumably more personally rewarding.

Others, who may have a rather keener concern for serious debate, might be interested in the following:

From the UK Telegraph. Excerpt: France is set to ban the words “mother” and “father” from all official documents under controversial plans to legalise gay marriage. The move…

Forum mums and dads, don't say you never realised that your titles and definitions would be considered discriminatory and ultimately marked down for change as well!

Comment

• amateur51

I'm not cowed by personal abuse at all, in fact it always makes me smile. Therefore I have a certain sympathy with the member who has rather belatedly discovered that this hasn't worked and is now off to do something presumably more personally rewarding.

Others, who may have a rather keener concern for serious debate, might be interested in the following:

From the UK Telegraph. Excerpt: France is set to ban the words “mother” and “father” from all official documents under controversial plans to legalise gay marriage. The move…

Forum mums and dads, don't say you never realised that your titles and definitions would be considered discriminatory and ultimately marked down for change as well!
                            Ladeez and gennelmen, get your straws for the clutching of right here, roll up, roll up!!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Ladeez and gennelmen, get your straws for the clutching of right here, roll up, roll up!!
                              He really doesn't give up does he ?
                              Just think if ALL that energy was channeled into something that made the world a better place

the strapline of Scotty's link says it all

"integrating Christian faith and knowledge in the public square"

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

I wasn't going to post again but I can assure you it wasn't intended as abuse but as an accurate description of your approach to this issue .

As once was said "The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.

That sums up your postings - no matter how often and how clearly the legal and employment position has been explained to you by numerous forum members .

Comment

Working...
                                X