Christian rights cases go before Strasbourg court - a case of double standards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
    I'd be very interested to know what would happen if the gay couple wanted to book into a B&B run by a Fundamental Islamic couple.
    What do you imagine would happen, RM? - in both RM-world and the real world, frinstance?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Do we???

A rather telling contribution from scotty, I felt neatly painting himself into a corner.

Are there not some religions/cultures when a man may take a number of wives? That would seem to bust scotty's cleanly defined world.

And just because a relationship has not hitherto been codified in law, that does not make it any the less valid, just means they have no rights under the law.

That situation has now been rectified. The status of relationships between different-sexers has not been affected, as far as I can see.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

A rather telling contribution from scotty,
        Thanks, amsey ...

Are there not some religions/cultures when a man may take a number of wives?
        Indeed there are, amsey, very well spotted.

As far as I know all the wives in such contracts are female and are married to a man. As I pointed out to Pab the terms and condition of any contract will vary all over the world but a marriage contract is still an agreement on a piece of paper indicating the official union of two people of the opposite sex. How many such contracts are allowed in different cultures is irrelevant to this discussion.

Why change the meaning of the word to something else? Wouldn't it be much easier to simply find another name for something else so we can all continue to be clear what marriage and something else actually mean?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
          Thanks, amsey ...

Indeed there are, amsey, very well spotted.

As far as I know all the wives in such contracts are female and are married to a man. As I pointed out to Pab the terms and condition of any contract will vary all over the world but a marriage contract is still an agreement on a piece of paper indicating the official union of two people of the opposite sex. How many such contracts are allowed in different cultures is irrelevant to this discussion.

Why change the meaning of the word to something else? Wouldn't it be much easier to simply find another name for something else so we can all continue to be clear what marriage and something else actually mean?
          Nicely done scotty but you neglect to mention the laws of bigamy Under UK law only one 'marriage' may be held at any one time and of course, many of the Christian churches in UK have a long history against divorce.Validity of a marriage has been subject to all manner of caveats which may not apply today.

As Pabs has so rightly pointed out, the institution of marriage has never been static in practice nor under the law. This is just another example.

If marriage is good enough for you & the long-suffering Mrs Scotty, then why not for me and George Clooney?
          Last edited by Guest; 18-01-13, 11:58. Reason: trypo

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

why not for me and George Clooney?
            Only if he's allowed to be married to two men at the the same time - I was before you in the queue

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              Only if he's allowed to be married to two men at the the same time - I was before you in the queue

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

the long-suffering Mrs Scotty,
                I think if I was the long-suffering Mrs Scotty, I wouldn't.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

What do you imagine would happen, RM? - in both RM-world and the real world, frinstance?
                  I have no idea but you clearly do so perhaps you might enlighten us?

PS You seem to be slipping back into your old ways with implied personal insults.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    Because it's just a name, ok scotty - a name.

As far as I know, only Christianity fetishes the name - in the beginnnig was The Word, etc.

Other spiritual traditions take a different view.

Lao Tsu - apocryphally the founder of Taoism.

"The nameless is the origin,
                    Naming is the mother and father of all things".

This sweet little rhyme gets about as close to everything existing (in relationship ) as words can, pointing beyond indicating:

"Who makes the trees beautiful?
                    Who makes the grass green?
                    In all Gods creations,
                    All things heard and seen,
                    Man makes the tags and labels,
                    Man is God's go-between"

(From John Smith's Apocalypse, set to jazz by Michael Garrick in 1970)

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Do we???
                      Yes ... have we never purchased one of those 'challenging' flat-pack from Argos ... or Ikea ... ?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Because it's just a name, ok scotty - a name.

As far as I know, only Christianity fetishes the name - in the beginnnig was The Word, etc.

Other spiritual traditions take a different view.

Lao Tsu - apocryphally the founder of Taoism.

"The nameless is the origin,
                        Naming is the mother and father of all things".

This sweet little rhyme gets about as close to everything existing (in relationship ) as words can, pointing beyond indicating:

"Who makes the trees beautiful?
                        Who makes the grass green?
                        In all Gods creations,
                        All things heard and seen,
                        Man makes the tags and labels,
                        Man is God's go-between"

(From John Smith's Apocalypse, set to jazz by Michael Garrick in 1970)
                        Very good S_A ..!!

Mrs Scotty is looking for some sugar for my regular morning coffee and she sees three glass jars filled with white stuff in front of her. Typically, I couldn't be bothered labelling them the night before.

One contains sugar, another salt and the third is rat poison. Mrs Scotty thinks the jars all contain sugar (I have a habit of buying sugar in bulk) so she cheerfully reaches for the first jar and sprinkles my coffee liberally with ...

What's in a silly name, anyway, eh ...?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Katie Price told last night how she secretly married hubby No 3 on the advice of a psychic. The 34-year-old model wed part-time stripper Kieran Hayler, 25, on a sun-kissed Bahamas beach. She said: “A medium said the man I’d marry was called Kevin. Kieran’s name is close to Kevin and it all became clear.” Referring to her recent break-up with Argentinian ex Leandro Penna, she added: “From the moment I told Leo to leave last year, I wanted to stay single and I was going to. But obviously that didn’t last long!"

The Mum-of-three was snapped tenderly kissing Kieran after Wednesday’s ceremony at Sandals Royal Bahamian Resort and Spa. In one photo, one of the model’s famous boobs was caught popping out as she wildly threw her bouquet into the air. Besotted Katie, wearing a short white dress with a veil and minimal train, then hugged Kieran on sun-kissed rocks beside the sea and gave a jokey two-finger salute. The glamour girl also spoke of her new wedding joy last night — and teased: “It’s only my third one.”

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                            ...“A medium said the man I’d marry was called Kevin. Kieran’s name is close to Kevin and it all became clear.”...
                            Interesting how the brain works, presuming a brain is involved in this case, I suppose. I was put in mind of this article:

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                              Interesting how the brain works, presuming a brain is involved in this case, I suppose. I was put in mind of this article:

http://io9.com/5974468/the-most-comm...being-rational
                              Yes but logic may also be based on needing to remain famous for being famous. I live next door to one of her many ex's, not that she was ever married to him. Good luck to her, I guess, but the main point here is the extent to which marriage accommodates the things those with faith often frown on. Page 3 model behaviour (natch!), psychics, a new partner every year, three children by three different fathers, ostentatious wealth, a two finger salute etc. How can anyone discuss it seriously in conceptual terms?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                                a sun-kissed Bahamas beach.
                                Or a Sun-kissed beach?

The glamour girl also spoke of her new wedding joy last night — and teased: “It’s only my third one.”
                                adding - "one feels much like another"?

Sorry - that just popped out.
                                Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 18-01-13, 15:02. Reason: Misboxed quote

Comment

Working...
                                X