X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

And you mean...?

Here's the boss of First Group, telling a committee of MPs that Richard Branson is wrong to be in a huff, and saying that First Group is "offering to do more, to ride more passengers and pay the government more money". Ride more passengers? Take them for a ride? Ride over their feelings?

I thought that perhaps a new thread for truly ambiguous or misleading statements might have a chance of taking off. Or going viral?
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

I can think of a saucier meaning for "ride more passengers" and one even more cruelly apt for what privatised services do to humanity!

...Nice to find Insomniacs Anonymous still around... Hey Pab, get over to my (as usual) dying proms thread and tell us what you liked this year...

It's only thanks to the VPO, Euthynicus, Richard Strauss and my cat that I'm still here...
    " Goodnight gentlemen, goodnight sweet gentlemen, goodnight, goodnight..."

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      I can think of a saucier meaning for "ride more passengers" and one even more cruelly apt for what privatised services do to humanity!

...Nice to find Insomniacs Anonymous still around... Hey Pab, get over to my (as usual) dying proms thread and tell us what you liked this year...

It's only thanks to the VPO, Euthynicus, Richard Strauss and my cat that I'm still here...
      " Goodnight gentlemen, goodnight sweet gentlemen, goodnight, goodnight..."
      I had thought of a saucier meaning myself, but I was just too cowardly...

I'm not an insomniac, I'm in the tropics. I have a house in the Philippines, and I'm now spending most of my time here. It's 11.30 in the morning here (ahead of you).

I shall add something to your thread.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

I thought that perhaps a new thread for truly ambiguous or misleading statements might have a chance of taking off.
        Sign seen in car on the forecourt of our local garage "Drive away this car for £5". Tempted to give it a go.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I reckon this First Group company going to be the wrack and ruin of the rail network
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
            Sign seen in car on the forecourt of our local garage "Drive away this car for £5". Tempted to give it a go.
            Then make sure that you don't do it if it's been fitted with tyres from one of our local suppliers the sign outside which is "tyres at deflated prices", otherwise you might yourself not getting too far...

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              I can't agree with you on your remark about privatised services because this is all about whether any outfit can run a rail service efficiently and profitably, whether a private firm or a government department but yes, I'd thought of that one too and might even have mentioned it were it not for the fact that "First Group" interpreted as an instruction in the particular context might have made it sound even saucier still; that said, it's clear that, whoever runs any part of the rail network, its services will largely be seen as available mostly to the very well-heeled only and not for those with lives on the lean...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                Then make sure that you don't do it if it's been fitted with tyres from one of our local suppliers the sign outside which is "tyres at deflated prices", otherwise you might yourself not getting too far...
                Yes, one might feel distinctly let down. Or two, three, or even four.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

The work and pensions secretary is fighting EU moves to change Britain's habitual residence test which limits benefit claims by new arrivals.

He said last year the EU proposal could cost the UK more than £2bn a year.

He has now revised that to £155m, a figure he still describes as "enormous".
                  from

er oops?
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

This is a link from the BBC News website today:

https://

I was concerned about the fourth item. I thought it would be about an unforeseen side-effect of a drastic whooping-cough treatment, but apparently it's not.
                    Last edited by Pabmusic; 28-09-12, 13:16.

Comment

• Simon

"The work and pensions secretary is fighting EU moves to change Britain's habitual residence test which limits benefit claims by new arrivals."

Irrespective of his department's earlier apparent error, more power to his elbow.

When elderly people who have lived all their lives here and paid NI and tax for years are struggling to heat their houses, every pound going to benefit tourists is wrongly spent.

Go for it, IDS.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                        "The work and pensions secretary is fighting EU moves to change Britain's habitual residence test which limits benefit claims by new arrivals."

Irrespective of his department's earlier apparent error, more power to his elbow.

When elderly people who have lived all their lives here and paid NI and tax for years are struggling to heat their houses, every pound going to benefit tourists is wrongly spent.

Go for it, IDS.
                        Careful, Simon. You'll have them frothing at the mouth and bashing away at their keyboards with talk like that.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                          Careful, Simon. You'll have them frothing at the mouth and bashing away at their keyboards with talk like that.
                          Silly RM, it's Simon who does the frothing around here - none frothier in my experience

You're a rank amateur in comparison

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Main headline on the BBC News website is now: "US rivals address final rallys".

Nuff said...

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

Ha! In the few minutes since I posted the previous comment, the BBC headline has been corrected. O, the influence of The Radio 3 Forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X