X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man
    • Sep 2024

Fears over new online benefits change

Seventy organisations involved in the benefits system raise concerns about a new Universal Credit - including whether a government IT system will be ready on time.

OK...am now convinced. This lot in Government have truly lost the plot. Online access to get your Benefits?

What if you have no computer?

What if you don't have broadband where you live ?

What if you don't even have a telephone line?

The Govt claims 'it will save money'. Damn right it will - if many who are due benefits have no way of getting them.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-09-12, 09:09.
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19534488

OK...am now convinced. This lot in Government have truly lost the plot. Online access to get your Benefits?

The Govt claims 'it will save money'. Damn right it will - if many who are due benefits have no way of getting them.
    Quite, never known a government with so many really spiffing ideas. It seems to have taken it's cue and inspiration from the George Osborne Budget success story.

However, not to worry. There will be yet another u-turn with Cameron appearing on television boasting that this is a government 'which is always prepared to be flexible and listen to people's genuine concerns'.

He and his colleagues appear to think that this is more commendable and desirable than firstly applying a sensible and rigorous 'Devil's Advocate' approach to new ideas and policies before actually proposing them.

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

you are missing the point - it is to move the cost of dealing with claimants to other sectors eg Libraries with their free internet access will now become benefit help centres Those who will suffer will be the elderly + those in rural areas where free access points are rare.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

My MP represents a very rural constituency. Seems to have resigned as a Govt whip post-reshuffle (maybe he's got the pip that he wasn't promoted) so maybe he just might be prepared to fight the corner. At least worth a try in writing to him.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

My MP represents a very rural constituency.

are you sure ?
          I bet your MP represents his/her career
          the party
          and their mates

first

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

are you sure ?
            I bet your MP represents his/her career [agreed]
            the party [maybe...nose definitely out of joint at the moment]
            and their mates [do politicians have them?]

first

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

are you sure ?
              I bet your MP represents his/her career
              the party
              and their mates

first
              .......... second and a damn good third.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

There is considerable over-estimation of computer-literacy, I believe. For example my very well-educated and intelligent brother now 79, has a computer (which he uses as a word-processor) but adamantly refuses to use email or the internet, despite the blandishments of his offspring.

There must be hundreds of thousands of those who receive benefits of one kind or another (I include pensioners* in that wild guesstimate) who are excluded from internet access by virtue of income, education, aptitude or choice.

I had been thinking in recent months that the certain knowledge that the LibDems would be obliterated in an early election will keep this coalition glued together and in office.

But with Cameron's recent two fingers to his coalition partners over the Lords etc and the patent cracks visible in the coalition, and the baying right on the tory backbenches, I'm wondering if the coalition will shortly become dysfunctional to the extent that Cameron** will take a chance on a snap election.

* Edit - on checking I see this does not cover pensions, but I believe my initial point can stand.

** and see also http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...d-cameron-plot 'Plot to oust David Cameron revealed' in the Graun

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                  you are missing the point - it is to move the cost of dealing with claimants to other sectors eg Libraries with their free internet access will now become benefit help centres Those who will suffer will be the elderly + those in rural areas where free access points are rare.
                  ...which if they still exist will probably be privatised!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                    But local authorities are slashing libraries hither & thither

And anyway who wants to go to a public library to have a chat online about benefits - it's totally misconceived!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

>>>But local authorities are slashing libraries hither & thither <<<

Govt has heard that Kindles are now quickly coming down in price....
                      bong ching

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        But local authorities are slashing libraries hither & thither

And anyway who wants to go to a public library to have a chat online about benefits - it's totally misconceived!
                        I don't think computer use has anything to do with education. My Branch Librarian cousin [retired] uses his computer for letters and documents but won't touch the Internet with the proverbial bargepole. If I say too much about what I get out of it, he and wife say 'books and letters and the phone are better'

They are a few years younger than me too.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19534488

Do provide the rules on who can criticise the nasty Right and why when you feel up to it. Is it only permitted when you say so?

I have had a look at the people who you attack. Some get it a lot. Others with the same arguments are never countered. The difference tends to be that the latter have no identifiable weaknesses - and I don't mean on rationale.

Your argument is - now what is that word you use? - tosh. If it keeps libraries open, so much the better. If people in rural Herefordshire don't like it, they will just have to get on their bikes and move.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

I see that the original article I linked to has changed. The latest article has this at the bottom..

The government says managing Universal Credit online makes sense as it saves money - and says most jobs do now require computer skills.

Oh spare me... hat utter rubbish. Even if it were correct, it still does not address the needs of those without home computers and/or a broadband connection.

"Mori research reveals that 74% of working age benefit claimants say they have broadband connection at home, 48% say they log on every day and 62% say they would be willing to make an application for a benefit or tax credit online," the spokesman added.

So that's all good then. The other 26% who don't have a broadband connection at home can go hang. Even of this 74%, only 2/3rds say they would be willing to make an application online.

I haven't even begun to question the poor track record of most Govt (left and right) IT systems. I say 'most'. Not all are late. The one that I project managed went in on time. It had to. No debate. No discussion.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Well, as the sun is shining quite strongly I think I'll go out and enjoy that now.

Comment

Working...
                              X