• Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Wealth-creator™.

...the new super hero ... great piece

a land fit for heroes eh?
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Resurrection Man

Another typical Guardian piece...rich on rhetoric, grandiloquent on generalisations. A germ of reason it is true and a few good points, but all lost in all the hyperbole. For example,

What was impressive was how pay for FTSE company directors rose: 26.2% a year above inflation, each year. These aren't wealth creators at all; they're wealth extractors, shaking down their businesses ....Evidence ? None provided

or investments for money .....um that's what business is all about, I though

without even risking much of their own cash
    .....I'd better have a word with the Information Commissioner as the author of the article has clearly been hacking into the private banking details of company directors.

On the other hand, The Independent article is well written.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

serious evidence

cui bono

nb the sources are all mainstream USA so beware capitalist bias eh ....

Throughout the late-1940s and 1950s, the top marginal tax rate was typically above 90%; today it
      is 35%. Additionally, the top capital gains tax rate was 25% in the 1950s and 1960s, 35% in the
      1970s; today it is 15%. The real GDP growth rate averaged 4.2% and real per capita GDP
      increased annually by 2.4% in the 1950s. In the 2000s, the average real GDP growth rate was
      1.7% and real per capita GDP increased annually by less than 1%. There is not conclusive
      evidence, however, to substantiate a clear relationship between the 65-year steady reduction in the
      top tax rates and economic growth. Analysis of such data suggests the reduction in the top tax
      rates have had little association with saving, investment, or productivity growth. However, the top
      tax rate reductions appear to be associated with the increasing concentration of income at the top
      of the income distribution. The share of income accruing to the top 0.1% of U.S. families
      increased from 4.2% in 1945 to 12.3% by 2007 before falling to 9.2% due to the 2007-2009
      recession. The evidence does not suggest necessarily a relationship between tax policy with
      regard to the top tax rates and the size of the economic pie, but there may be a relationship to how
      the economic pie is sliced.
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

serious evidence

cui bono

nb the sources are all mainstream USA so beware capitalist bias eh ....
        What you post here might almost be taken to suggest that, in US (which is the only country referred to here), when tax rates are comparatively high, growth improves but most people are paying more tax so few of them are any better off as a consequence and, when tax rates are comparatively low, growth deteriorates and only the wealthiest benefit from their lower tax burdens but even then only until growth gets so low that businesses collapse, the economy ends up in tatters and those wealthy have to leave the country in a bid to preserve their wealth. Sounds not entirely unlike a lose-lose situation to me. Even if thee is valid and credible evidence in support of the statistics to which you refer here, most people, from the richest to the poorest, are understandably more concerned with the values of their own assets and income levels than they are with the GDP levels and/or the rates of growth or otherwise that their country might enjoy or suffer from at any given time, so any attempt to present national growth rates (irrespective of their possible relationships with tax rates at any given time) as an inviolable yardstick by which to illustrate how well off or otherwise any individuals might be fails to convince.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

yes ahinton could you possibly email George Osborne to that effect ....

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

yes ahinton could you possibly email George Osborne to that effect ....
            No - and, for the record and for the avoidance of doubt (as the well-heeled lawyers would put it), I couldn't do any such thing to any effect.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

...well you may very well say so ahinton but i could not possible comment .....

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

...well you may very well say so ahinton but i could not possible comment .....
                Indeed, Mr Richardson - but you merely asked me if I could email George Osborne and I answered you very clearly in the negative, so I don't really see that there would be much on which to comment even if you could possibly do so!...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

i doubt you have worked as a journalist ahinton

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

i doubt you have worked as a journalist ahinton
                    Indeed. For journalists, anything is possible...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

the UK Border Agency who wish to differentiate the treatment of 'high value people' .... yep meritocracy innit ...

yep those Wealth-creator™ Types just gotta go faster ....

Comment

• Resurrection Man

the UK Border Agency who wish to differentiate the treatment of 'high value people' .... yep meritocracy innit ...

yep those Wealth-creator™ Types just gotta go faster ....
                        Damn right! Let the great unwashed wait

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

and the great Wealth-creator™ people gotta have a bonus innit

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

an interesting option for the banking commission .... yet more jobs for important high value people ...

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

an interesting option for the banking commission .... yet more jobs for important high value people ...
                              What do you personally advocate, then? - that Britain encourages economically challenged immigrants who will not contribute to the Treasury coffers at its own existing taxpayers' expense? Deciding where to locate oneself is by no means always dependent upon where one might find the most advantageous tax régimes, but those with the most assets and highest taxable incomes will usually consider this factor in making such a decision. What you seem to object to (unless I'm misreading you) is the very principle of individuals or corporations relocating to more advantageous taxation areas but I don;t see on what grounds this can be done credibly unless rooted in a more general and fundamental objection to the very existence of widely differing taxation régimes in the first place. Perhaps you could clarify some points here.

Comment

Working...
                              X