Cardinal Carlo Martini has died aged 85.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Cardinal Carlo Martini has died aged 85.

Italian Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini has died aged 85.

Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera has published his last interview, recorded in August, in which he said: "The Church is tired... our prayer rooms are empty."

Martini, once tipped as a future pope, urged the Church to recognise its errors and to embark on a radical path of change, beginning with the Pope.

In his last interview, given to a fellow Jesuit priest less than a month ago and published the day after his death, the cardinal made sweeping criticisms of the Catholic Church.

Catholics lacked confidence in the Church, he said. "Our culture has grown old, our churches are big and empty and the church bureaucracy rises up, our religious rites and the vestments we wear are pompous."

"Unless the Church adopted a more generous attitude towards divorced persons, it will lose the allegiance of future generations", the cardinal added. The question, he said, is not whether divorced couples can receive holy communion, but how the Church can help complex family situations.

And the advice he leaves behind to conquer the tiredness of the Church was a "radical transformation, beginning with the Pope and his bishops".

"The child sex scandals oblige us to undertake a journey of transformation," Cardinal Martini says, referring to the child sex abuse that has rocked the Catholic Church in the past few years.

He was not afraid, our correspondent adds, to speak his mind on matters that the Vatican sometimes considered taboo, including the use of condoms to fight Aids and the role of women in the Church.

In 2008, for example, he criticised the Church's prohibition of birth control, saying the stance had likely driven many faithful away, and publicly stated in 2006 that condoms could "in some situations, be a lesser evil"."

The Catholic Church has clearly lost a good servant

• jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Martini, once tipped as a future pope...
    Even quite recently, as I remember.

It always seemed to me that he would have been a good choice.

But God thought otherwise.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Does God have anything to do with who is chosen?

Unless you believe that 'God works in mysterious ways'.

ps - see my thread on changes (or not) to the R3 Schedule lay-out on the BBC website.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I am a dvorcee and as such my role in celebrating Mass has been affected hugely, to such an extant, that it has prohibioted me in taking part in the most sacred part of the Mass and that is Holy Communion. And so in thuis doing this, I have decided not to go toChurch anymnore because of its dogmattiness(if there is such a word), in this situation.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          I am a dvorcee and as such my role in celebrating Mass has been affected hugely...
          You mean they let you celebrate Mass when you were married?
          Last edited by jean; 02-09-12, 18:01.

Comment

• scottycelt

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              I am a dvorcee and as such my role in celebrating Mass has been affected hugely, to such an extant, that it has prohibioted me in taking part in the most sacred part of the Mass and that is Holy Communion. And so in thuis doing this, I have decided not to go toChurch anymnore because of its dogmattiness(if there is such a word), in this situation.
              The way the RC Church treats its divorcees, or those who have married divorcees, by exiling them to an internal 'naughty step' is the equivalent of the removal of the left hand for stealing in Middle Eastern countries - it denies them access to communion and I have heard so many tales of the horrible effect this exclusion has caused to catholics who must face their 'sin' on a daily or weekly basis. One woman I spoke to eventually went to the C of E, but said she never felt she was part of her true belief and suffered just as much there. It metes out such terrible punishments on its flocks, the Roman Church, though not, it would appear, on its clergy.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Eventually that is what we did! Then after a while, we thoiught, well no this is not for us either. It was like looking from the outside in. Sowe have stopped going.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                X