Has your love of reading been Kindled yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
    ....I have yet to try and connect using my phone though...
    Don;t hold your breath G3 can be very slow downloading a book even though the files are not that big. I forgot to say that they support pdf and Word documents as well their native file format. Your mention of free boks reminds me of how many complete works of literature are available for free. Just think Ulysses for free!!! Now you just have to read it!!

Comment

• Karafan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I haven't yet dabbled; at first because of my love of books (the physical entities: the feel, look and smell - and the memories of the last time I'd read it etc etc) and, I'll admit, my techno-phobia. It was knowing that this latter was irrational that I decided to investigate the medium, and there are aspects I can see as advantageous; in particular, the "bedtime" aspects - the backlighting, which means I don't have to have a bedside lamp on to read, and the adjustability of the print size.

On the other hand there's the cost, and the necessity of buying second copies of texts. Why isn't there a Kindle equivalent of Audacity (which allows you to rip LPs and Tapes to CD), where a book can be downloaded onto a Kindle?

What do you think, Karafan? Do you recommend Kindle?
      Well, it's very early days yet Ferney, so you might have to take a raincheck pro temps on that! I agree though an Audacity for Kindle would be good.

The page number thing which someone else mentioned did shock me - but I have seen it explained because of course you can select your own font size so I suppose that would b*gger up the pagination, somewhat. I read though that pressing the menu button does show your page number at the bottom of the screen on most ebooks (Sony apparently used to surmount this problem by making, say, page 84 last for 3 or 4 screens if you'd selected a huge fontsize, which is another logical way of dealing with the inherent problem I suppose).

It was interesting that most replies seem to still fall in favour of the traditional book (and, as I say, I would never ever forego that, especially as so many of my titles are esoteric) but I think this Kindle will be good for travelling, any inordinately long waits anywhere (as my grasshopper mind is rarely content with one book in those situations) etc.

And if it stops me tripping over just one pile of the blessed 'real' items on the attic steps (honestly - a glance at that staircase looks like a Public Information Film from the 1970s!) it will have been worth its modest outlay!

'Night all!
      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Mahlerei

I am one of those for whom the Kindle is a godsend. It allows me to buy a book at any time of day or night and to start reading it within seconds. I've also discovered some conversion software that allows one to convert ePubs and other non-Kindle formats to .mobi files, thus widening the selection of books available.

Comment

• Stunsworth
          • Nov 2010

I've had a Kindle for well over a year and have loved it. People talk as if there's a straight choice, Kindle or books. The reality is that owning a Kindle doesn't mean you have to abandon books. After saying that I've only bought a handful of physical book since buying mine.

Page numbers matching the ones in the paper books were introduced a while ago, but the publisher has to include them when the book is sent to Amazon. The page number appears at the bottom of the screen when you press the 'menu' button.

I have a leather case with a built in light, it makes reading in bed very convenient.

Finally, there's a 'Kindle Daily Deal' on the Amazon Kindle store priced at 99p. Usually trashy novels, but there are gems from time to time.
          Steve

Comment

• Stunsworth
            • Nov 2010

Forgot to add, if you want access to more free books go to the Project Gutenberg website - http://www.gutenberg.org/ - where there are thousands of out of copyright books available in Kindle friendly format.

It's easiest to do this on the Kindle itself as they'll download to your Kindle automatically.
            Steve

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
              some conversion software that allows one to convert ePubs
              Just for a moment there ...

I think I've had a vision of the future!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Resurrection Man

I like books. I like holding a book in my hand...preferably hardback.

I tried reading an ebook when I had the iPad. I didn't enjoy the experience and topped after a couple of chapters.

With a book, if you need to go back to check on something then you know roughly how far back to put your fingers. You can't do that with an eBook (but possibly you might be able to search an ebook although I have no idea how practical that might be).

In a similar vein and only slightly OT, my Samsung Galaxy phone comes with three ebooks (as if anyone would want to read one on a tiny smartphone screen is beyond me). Three classics...Three Musketeers, Alice in Wonderland and a.n.other. I'll never read them and so want to reclaim my smartphone memory back. I delete them but within minutes I get three messages telling me that my books have been downloaded onto my phone. It simply will not let me delete them.

Comment

• amateur51

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Absolutely! I mean, totally! Ya! I hope it happens in my lifetime.

On topic: I got the (free) Kindle app for my ipad. Very handy, in that it saves humphing books about, so it's great for going away, but there's something real, lasting and solid about a book. I suppose it's similar to the "CD or music download question", but at least you can burn a CD from a download

Comment

• mangerton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                      I like books. I like holding a book in my hand...preferably hardback.

I tried reading an ebook when I had the iPad. I didn't enjoy the experience and topped after a couple of chapters.

With a book, if you need to go back to check on something then you know roughly how far back to put your fingers. You can't do that with an eBook (but possibly you might be able to search an ebook although I have no idea how practical that might be).

In a similar vein and only slightly OT, my Samsung Galaxy phone comes with three ebooks (as if anyone would want to read one on a tiny smartphone screen is beyond me). Three classics...Three Musketeers, Alice in Wonderland and a.n.other. I'll never read them and so want to reclaim my smartphone memory back. I delete them but within minutes I get three messages telling me that my books have been downloaded onto my phone. It simply will not let me delete them.
                      I recently got a Samsung S2, and can reliably inform all interested (if any!) that the third is Treasure Island. Ar, Jim lad! I did not read this as child, so I might now, as I'll soon be in my second childhood.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                        Absolutely! I mean, totally! Ya! I hope it happens in my lifetime.

On topic: I got the (free) Kindle app for my ipad. Very handy, in that it saves humphing books about, so it's great for going away, but there's something real, lasting and solid about a book. I suppose it's similar to the "CD or music download question", but at least you can burn a CD from a download
                        Presumably the thing to do is to read your Kindle edition on holiday and, if you like the book, you buy a second-hand copy from amazon, abe books, etc. In that way, your real book collection is made up only of books that you have enjoyed

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                          I recently got a Samsung S2, and can reliably inform all interested (if any!) that the third is Treasure Island. Ar, Jim lad! I did not read this as child, so I might now, as I'll soon be in my second childhood.
                          Be warned, mangerton - you may find yourself sneaking downstairs at night for a snack of cheese - I'll say no more

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Presumably the thing to do is to read your Kindle edition on holiday and, if you like the book, you buy a second-hand copy from amazon, abe books, etc. In that way, your real book collection is made up only of books that you have enjoyed
                            Or, even better, buy it from your local bookshop.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                              Or, even better, buy it from your local bookshop.
                              Well yes indeed, Vodka but these Kindle-types tend to keep their eyes on dosh y'know

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Be warned, mangerton - you may find yourself sneaking downstairs at night for a snack of cheese - I'll say no more
                                Thank you, amateur51, I'll bear it in mind. Does an apple barrel not feature as well? (Vague recollection of BBC's 50s/60s dramatisation!)

Thanks too for your s-h book recommendation. There's much to be said for that.

Comment

Working...
                                X