X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
    However, I repeat ... all this is well nigh irrelevant ... it's Swedish law that matters in this case, NOTHING else whether feminist dogma or the opposing and rather more traditional views of Mr Galloway!
    I think Swedish law does not apply until JA is handed over. Presumably at present he is subject to Ecuadorean law. I accept that if the UK law enforcement people get hold of JA he will probably be handed over to Sweden, but until that happens it will be Ecuadorean and UK laws which apply. I think what you may be trying to say is that re the rape concerns it is the Swedish view which should/will prevail, as the alleged offences took place in Sweden, and the UK has agreed to extradition to that country.

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
      I don't normally have any time at all for either the Daily Mail or Melanie Phillips, but this article contains an accusation against Assange which, if true, is serious. (I have read various versions of the accusation before, but have been unable to find another source for them, so maybe she made them up):

"...Assange...is thought to have caused a number of very brave individuals to have their security compromised and maybe even to lose their lives...Some of the classified cables he published, for example, identified the names, villages, relatives’ identities and precise locations of Afghans who had co-operated with Nato troops..."
      you are correct to disregard Ms Philips - compared to her Faux news is totally impartial and always gives a balanced opinion .
      The claims are made by the more rabid part of US media - nothing has been shown to back them up other than the wounded pride and deflated egos of the US state department - they seem to have a life on Faux news and the blogosphere.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Of course. It's just that particular allegation I'm interested in. I'd be interested in evidence either way.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Mr Galloway has expressed views on what constitutes 'rape' which are diametrically opposed to current feminist dogma.
          He'll be expounding them again on PM very soon.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Have I missed his PM appearance, or is it yet to come? (Only just tuned in to PM).

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I don't think it's happened yet.

[Edit: here it is, at 5.35. Very disappoibnting - he's not there defending his views, nor is that weird American - also mentioned - who thinks rape doesn't make you pregnant.]
              Last edited by jean; 21-08-12, 18:06.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Better even that than "He'll be PM soon"...

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

If only Assange was a Sinéad O'Connor or Ian Dury fan:

...from the album: Collaborations (2005) - Sinéad O'Connor with the original Blockheads.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    If only Assange was a Sinéad O'Connor or Ian Dury fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z1uaXieWYc

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

I don't think it's happened yet.

[Edit: here it is, at 5.35. Very disappoibnting - he's not there defending his views, nor is that weird American - also mentioned - who thinks rape doesn't make you pregnant.]
                      It wasn't just any old rape, but "legitimate rape"!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        It wasn't just any old rape, but "legitimate rape"!
                        He wasn't saying that, the question was about abortion after a rape pregnancy. Instead of tying himself in knots, like so many US politicians do, he should simply have said 'yes' or 'no'.

As for Mr Galloway, the idea that his remarks apparently required any 'clarification' almost defies belief. Of course, Mr Galloway is a politician and he knows more than most that speaking honestly can sometimes be a bad career move, if what you say is considered to be politically incorrect and even a resigning issue.

And the media constantly preach about 'the lack of honesty in politics' ...

Comment

• amateur51

He wasn't saying that, the question was about abortion after a rape pregnancy. Instead of tying himself in knots, like so many US politicians do, he should simply have said 'yes' or 'no'.

As for Mr Galloway, the idea that his remarks apparently required any 'clarification' almost defies belief. Of course, Mr Galloway is a politician and he knows more than most that speaking honestly can sometimes be a bad career move, if what you say is considered to be politically incorrect and even a resigning issue.

And the media constantly preach about 'the lack of honesty in politics' ...
                          In this case, maybe 'decency' might be let into the equation too

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            In this case, maybe 'decency' might be let into the equation too
                            Have you ever considered that, to some of us, your wholly admirable sense of 'decency' might be a bit like my own idea of 'common sense' apparently is to others, amsey ... ?

Comment

• amateur51

Have you ever considered that, to some of us, your wholly admirable sense of 'decency' might be a bit like my own idea of 'common sense' apparently is to others, amsey ... ?
                              'Us' scotty? Who's the other person?

It would appear that George's shooting from the lip is not appreciated by the Respect leader, Salma Yaqoob, who has described the remarks, widely condemned by anti-rape campaigners, as "deeply disappointing and wrong"

Respect party leader, Salma Yaqoob, describes MP for Bradford West's remarks as 'deeply disappointing and wrong'

Another dogmatic feminist, eh scotty?

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Scotty

Actually I think he did say that, but as with some other Americans and perhaps former presidents it wasn't quite what he meant to say. He had probably been watching too many wild life and nature films because indeed some strange things happen there regarding spontaneous abortion in some species, such as lions which may have multiple partners.

However there is little or no evidence that I am aware of which would support his claims even if he had expressed himself clearly. It was Ben Goldacre stuff, and as he managed to get it so wrong he offended a significant portion of his electorate, with seemingly inevitable, and IMO deserved, consequences.

Comment

Working...
                                X