X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnSkelton
    • Jun 2024

Yekaterina Samutsevich: Closing Statement at the Pussy Riot Trial

Extraordinary and brilliant and scholarly statement by Yekaterina Samutsevich, defendant at the Pussy Riot trial in Moscow http://chtodelat.wordpress.com/2012/...ing-statement/
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post
    Extraordinary and brilliant and scholarly statement by Yekaterina Samutsevich, defendant at the Pussy Riot trial in Moscow http://chtodelat.wordpress.com/2012/...ing-statement/
    Fascinating John - thanks for that. As she says, they may lose the case but they have not lost.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Was it Yekaterina's husband who was interviewed in English and making one of the strongest personal statements of support I have heard? There's probably a link somewhere.

Anyone know of any protests here?

Strength to them all!

Comment

• edashtav
        • Jul 2012

Many thanks for linking us to the unexpurgated text, John. These brave women deserve our interest, concern & support.

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Was it Yekaterina's husband who was interviewed in English and making one of the strongest personal statements of support I have heard? There's probably a link somewhere.

Strength to them all!
          Nadezhda Tolokonnikova's husband. Her statement http://www.businessinsider.com/pussy...atement-2012-8

There have been a couple of demonstrations outside the Russian Embassy in London, the first in April; bigger demonstrations elsewhere in Europe. This http://freepussyriot.org/ is a good place to keep up with their news.

http://pussy-riot.livejournal.com/ their official site, which is constantly being hacked by the Russian authorities.

These brave women deserve our interest, concern & support. Thanks - they certainly do!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Pyotr Versilov's was the interview I was looking for:

Trusted and independent source of local, national and world news. In-depth analysis, business, sport, weather and more.

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Pyotr Versilov's was the interview I was looking for:

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/conte...2/s3565597.htm
              Thanks S_A.

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Join Pussy Riot Global Day 17 August

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Join Pussy Riot Global Day 17 August

http://live.free-pussy-riot.gotpanth...-day-17-august
                  Thanks in return, John.

I think we should all do our best to make it a generous turn-out here on the 17th.

Comment

• handsomefortune

thanks for all the links this far -

Jane Clare Jones: The credibility of a woman's voice is often undermined by sexual slurs – as rape victims, Madonna and Pussy Riot well know

Comment

• handsomefortune

my very own online pr wear !!

tomorrow seems to be the official day of protest, and friday the sentences are revealed. (fingers crossed for them all).

imv madge was at her best singing 'like a virgin' with a mask on, and the russian audience loved it.

if i could, i'd go to the leeds protest, but signing petitions counts as much, specifically to russian women that pr's views represent. so, no need to 'go' anywhere in order to show support.

imo sometimes it's not that far off russia here ....from the way the pm casually abuses his female colleagues in public, to the violent treatment of women at uk protests over the last few years, to rising unemployment, and homelessness amongst women. perhaps the west can only hope that yekaterina samutsevich and the rest of the band help spark some international discussion, a concerted new pressure for social change?

meanwhile - let's hope for leniency, in view of massive disgust, worldwide, at putin's public show of deranged misogyny. lastly, shame on those russian women who allegedly support putin's policies because 'putin looks good topless'.....(the idiots)!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

I was interested in the case put forward by Nina Power in today's Guardian about the sentence handed out to Trenton Oldfield, the man who held up the start of the boat race for twenty five minutes, suggesting it as an open attack by the authorities on protest and comparing it to the Russian sentences handed out to the Pussy Riot protesters. She argues among othe things that the sentence would not have been so heavy if the event was not televised or if it had been a different event.
                        Nina Power: Trenton Oldfield's sentence for disrupting the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race makes it clear which class is being protected

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          She argues among othe things that the sentence would not have been so heavy if the event was not televised or if it had been a different event.
                          http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...test-class-war
                          It's interesting that Nina Power is a senior lecturer in philosophy. It is relevant that if the event had not been high profile - and therefore televised - Oldfield would not have chosen it (and the event was chosen because it epitomised the social inequality that he was protesting about). Of course he wouldn't have got six months if it had been the local primary school's three-legged race. The size of the audience magnified the 'public nuisance'.

I don't think today's anti-cuts protest would/could be classed as a 'public nuisance', although it may have been a nuisance to individuals affected by it. So what is the difference between a protest and a public nuisance?

I'm not sure about the motives of an individual who takes it upon himself to protest on behalf of the thousands/millions who suffer from our unequal society.

That said, is a six-month jail sentence reasonable? Not in my view: it's an outrageous 'gesture', like Oldfield's protest. I hope he appeals as a point of principle, even though he'll probably be released before the issue is settled.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            ...That said, is a six-month jail sentence reasonable? Not in my view: it's an outrageous 'gesture', like Oldfield's protest. I hope he appeals as a point of principle, even though he'll probably be released before the issue is settled.
                            I think the sentence was within the range that is fair. One factor to consider is that Oldfield's act effectively scuppered the event - it's not as though it could be restarted in any meaningful way. There was a high degree of planning involved, to ensure the maximum disruption and publicity, and no possibility that Oldfield did any of this accidentally, or that it got out of hand. Add to this the high-profile nature of the event, with live TV and press attention, which (as you say) were factors in the planning, and I cannot see anything to be said in Oldfield's favour.

It is unfortunate that it was the boat race, since that has allowed some people to gloat because the victims were perceived 'toffs', but exactly the same considerations would have applied had it been the disruption of a live Children in Need event. As for comparisons with the Pussy Riot trial, they, too, are misleading. For me, the worst thing about that case was the use of blasphemy laws - Pussy Riot were not convicted of politically-motivated crimes, but of religiously-motivated ones - I suspect to divert attention from Putin.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                              I think the sentence was within the range that is fair.
                              Hmmm. Well you could say the judge was doing him a favour in highlighting the unfairness in British society against which he said he was protesting.

But whether the sentence was proportionate or not, I don't think it was about 'criminalising protest'. I don't see that you can claim that causing a public nuisance is justified as long as you are doing it as a protest. Otherwise you then have to have criteria for deciding which protests justify causing a public nuisance and which don't.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X