Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
    While I'm not a fan of athletics, the whole thing has inspired me and several others into partaking in sport.

We have decided to become a formation drinking team, man and beer glass in syncronicity to create the perfect supping motion.

To get into shape for this, I got up this morning and did my exercises, up one two, down one two.

As I was feeling a bit energetic, I even did the other sock!.
    Lovely stuff ER!

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

'Harry Commentator is your Carpenter' attrib. David Coleman, in one of Clive James's wonderful Observer tv columns from the seventies.
      According to Privte Eye The First 50 Years, 'Colemanballs' started in 1977 but I have to say I would have thought it began earlier.
      Another; 'I definitely never said, 'Juantorena opens his legs and shows his class' - it was Ron Pickering.' Ron laughed his head off about it' David Coleman, Daily Mail,1992. Thanks for this quote to the above-named book.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        Cuban double-gold medallist Alberto Juantorena, whose muscular build and nine-foot stride contributed to his nickname El Caballo (the horse).
        Are you sure it was his muscular build?

and there goes Juantorena down the back straight, opening his legs and showing his class."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          WOW!!! IF THAT WASN'T THE MOST BRILLIANT CLOSING CEREMONY IN OLYMPIC HISTORY...!!! KNOCKED THE STUFFY pretensions of BEIJING into a cocked hat DIDN'T IT!? MOST OF THE TRACKS I'VE EITHER BOUGHT OR DANCED TO, NEVER MIND IF IT WAS THE 1980S! How I wept as the flame was so gently extinguished...

Yes the commercial cynicism, the IOC greed, the G4S greed, all those sponsors' empty seats... ONCE UNDER WAY this was a people's games, celebrated, from NHS to OMD, in a way only GB could. I'VE ENJOYED SO MUCH THESE LAST 2 WEEKS!

Classical music? The still small voice, always there, the flame never extinguished... and many more Proms Games to come...

I'M OFF TO FINISH THE PROSECCO!! BRING ON THE PARALYMPICS!!!

You are being ironic, Jane, right???

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            PROSECCO!!
            The only explanation, if it wasn't ironic...
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              It ended with one of Queen's great rock anthems, We Will Rock You. The lighting was brilliant.
              The lighting was indeed brilliant, but the evening ended with the Who playing Baba O'Riley, See Me, Feel Me and My Generation and knocking all the other performers into a cocked hat. Roger Daltrey, despite his advanced years, still managed to sing in tune, unlike any of the others who were singing live (several of the more recent pop acts simply mimed to pre-recorded tracks).

After the brilliance of the opening ceremony and the games themselves, it was a bit of let down, but it was OK when compared to other closing ceremonies, most of which have been eminently forgettable.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

It's a bit late in the day, but I've just bought my 5-disc Blu-ray set of the 2012 Olympics.

I was hoping they'd have edited out those "how do you feel?" interviews, but I suppose that was too much to hope.

Watching the games again after nearly two years, I'd forgotten so much that it was possible to become excited again.

Comment

Working...
                X