X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven
    • Sep 2024

Greek Athlete banned for supporting 'the wrong political party'

Greece's female triple-jump champion has been kicked off their Olympic team following hysteria created by the Greek far left in relation to a mildly 'racist' tweet http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/36...st-twitter.htm

You will also see in the above article that Arsenal midfield ace, Emmanuel Frimpong, has been charged by the FA for a racist tweet for referring to the informal name that Tottenham supporters have given themselves and their club.

The Greek woman has been called a Nazi and Frimpong might get the same treatment!

• french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I can't see this discussion lasting very long .

However, the immediate cause of her expulsion was not her support for a far right political party but for posting a racist tweet which was deemed 'contrary to the Olympic spirit'.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I can't see this discussion lasting very long .

However, the immediate cause of her expulsion was not her support for a far right political party but for posting a racist tweet which was deemed 'contrary to the Olympic spirit'.
      I'm sure she wouldn't have been banned if it weren't for the fact that the lefties went all hysterical.

I don't think this discussion will last very long either - I knew that when I started it

But I'm sure the footie fans in here will have a view on the poor treatment of Emmanuel Frimpong and the FA's stupid charge of racism against him (as will non-footie fans)

Has the sports world gone PC-bonkers?

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
        Greece's female triple-jump champion has been kicked off their Olympic team following hysteria created by the Greek far left in relation to a mildly 'racist' tweet http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/36...st-twitter.htm
        "Mildly 'racist'" - Is that like being 'partly vegetarian'?

I agree, ff. Just BO being his usual.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
          I don't think this discussion will last very long either - I knew that when I started it
          In that case you were very prescient

Let me also mention that it doesn't escape my notice that you have successively posted signatures which have a) misquoted Marx's Das Kapital where other members argue from a thoughtful marxist perspective b) quoted from the UKIP leader with anti EU slogans where others are known to be supporters of the EU and c) currently, quote from a very creative film-maker whose extra-cinematographic activities were most remarkably her close association with Hitler and the Nazi Party.

Expressing views in posts is one thing, sloganising with a signature is another. I don't assume that you are of detestably and unacceptably far-right conviction. I think you are, as with this thread, simply teasing people. But teasing people publicly about their firmly held views is not a very good idea.

To quote from the topical BBC story: "The head of the Greek committee, Isidoros Kouvelos, said: "[...]She made a mistake and in life we pay for our mistakes."

Verbum sapienti sat est, as the Romans said.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
          X