X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man
    • Sep 2024

Food labelling regulations

I was wondering whether anyone can recall changes that were made to this about eighteen months ago and give me any pointers as to web sources etc?

Reason for asking is that my wife is coeliac (and extremely sensitive at that) and so she reads labels fastidiously. Recently we have noticed that some of the labels have started to change saying that 'this product is made on premises that also make milk, wheat, gluten, soya etc products'. Prior to this, the label might say 'contains gluten' and so one knew exactly where one stood. By relabelling as above, it now seems that the onus is on the consumer to make a decision.

The other reason is that we're not sure but we do have a suspicion that if an ingredient is below a certain threshold then it does not have to be listed. This is of paramount import to anyone allergic to certain foodstuffs.

Many thanks
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
    I was wondering whether anyone can recall changes that were made to this about eighteen months ago and give me any pointers as to web sources etc?

Reason for asking is that my wife is coeliac (and extremely sensitive at that) and so she reads labels fastidiously. Recently we have noticed that some of the labels have started to change saying that 'this product is made on premises that also make milk, wheat, gluten, soya etc products'. Prior to this, the label might say 'contains gluten' and so one knew exactly where one stood. By relabelling as above, it now seems that the onus is on the consumer to make a decision.

The other reason is that we're not sure but we do have a suspicion that if an ingredient is below a certain threshold then it does not have to be listed. This is of paramount import to anyone allergic to certain foodstuffs.

Many thanks
    Very nasty, RM

I'd hope that this lot would be able help - apols if you know them already

Coeliac UK - the independent charity for people living gluten free. We fund critical research into coeliac disease and fight for better availability of gluten free food.

Comment

• Flay
      • Mar 2007

Recently we have noticed that some of the labels have started to change saying that 'this product is made on premises that also make milk, wheat, gluten, soya etc products'. Prior to this, the label might say 'contains gluten' and so one knew exactly where one stood. By relabelling as above, it now seems that the onus is on the consumer to make a decision.
      No doubt this is a legal cop-out to avoid the risk of claims for compensation. I know this has become an issue with nut allergy sufferers. I don't know what the answer is, other than to get specific products that are labelled as gluten-free, or to avoid commercially prepared foods.
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

Try the website of the Food Standards Agency: www.food.gov.uk Open the A-Z Directory at the top right of the front page and scroll down to Labelling and Packaging.

I think the "made on premises ..." warning is to let you know they cant guarantee the product wont be contaminated with traces of gluten or whatever. This is not an issue for most of us, but it would be for those unfortunates who have such allergies.

If you cant get what you want from the website, the best thing might be to contact them directly and ask for clarification.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Very nasty, RM

I'd hope that this lot would be able help - apols if you know them already

http://www.coeliac.org.uk/
          Many thanks for the link, Am51. Sad to say but, compared to the US equivalent, coeliac.org.uk are pretty useless and ineffective.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
            Try the website of the Food Standards Agency: www.food.gov.uk Open the A-Z Directory at the top right of the front page and scroll down to Labelling and Packaging.

I think the "made on premises ..." warning is to let you know they cant guarantee the product wont be contaminated with traces of gluten or whatever. This is not an issue for most of us, but it would be for those unfortunates who have such allergies.

If you cant get what you want from the website, the best thing might be to contact them directly and ask for clarification.
            I really was after some ammunition before I contacted them. I have had discussions with them before and they are one of the Quango's that I would happily put on a bonfire.

Comment

• amateur51

Many thanks for the link, Am51. Sad to say but, compared to the US equivalent, coeliac.org.uk are pretty useless and ineffective.
              Sorry to hear that, RM - have you told them? Charities exist for their public and if their public is dissatisfied then they should be told

Comment

Working...
              X