Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Northender View Post
    Entrapped - or just trapped? More than just a grammatical point, as the former implies he was set up whereas the latter suggests nothing more than carelessness or misfortune.
    The story is that he was entrapped, I think

Comment

• Gordon
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
      Much in the way assembly-language programming is discouraged - and is well on the way to becoming a black art - in our own day.

By the way the Welsh composer Daniel Jones also worked at Bletchley Park (see Grove's). And some of his music we are told reflects his "metrical experiments, which were influenced by his understanding of patterns and symmetrical shapes in nature (he kept a microscope for noting plant structures)." Now that recalls does it not Turing's interests towards the end of his life in morphogenetics (the development of living things). I wonder whether they knew each other and if so whether they discussed the subject over luncheon. Daniel Jones is not mentioned in Mr. Hodges's fascinating Turing biography.
      Thanks for that Sydney. I knew DJ had spent time at Bletchley but not the rest of it. [ I should have known, having a copy of Grove]. The music of DJ is well worth a listen particularly his string quartets - Chandos CHAN 9535 - despite his being from South Wales! Another claim to fame - he was born the day after Kingsway Hall was opened!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
        Thanks for that Sydney. I knew DJ had spent time at Bletchley but not the rest of it. [ I should have known, having a copy of Grove]. The music of DJ is well worth a listen particularly his string quartets - Chandos CHAN 9535 - despite his being from South Wales! Another claim to fame - he was born the day after Kingsway Hall was opened!
        Bachgen drwg!

Comment

• Gordon
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Bachgen drwg!
          Gwir yw, mae'r rhan fwyaf o gyfansorwyr Cymreig yn dod o'r De!! Can't think of many Welsh composers from the North - Arwel Hughes from Rhos? His St David is worth a listen. I think his son Owain Arwel Hughes recorded it for Chandos a while ago - CHAN 8890.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

a posthumous royal pardon
            Computer pioneer and codebreaker Alan Turing is given a posthumous royal pardon for his 1952 conviction for homosexuality.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              Long overdue
              I'm reminded of something that I heard Michael Portillo say on R4 the other day about how the British do the right thing but only after they have exhausted all other possibilities

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                I'm reminded of something that I heard Michael Portillo say on R4 the other day about how the British do the right thing but only after they have exhausted all other possibilities
                "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." - Winston Churchill

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                  • Nov 2010

Can someone be pardoned when they have done nothing wrong? I suppose it's an admission that the conviction was wrong, which is something, but what about all the others who were also abominably treated? I feel sort of uncomfortable about this, but perhaps it's better than nothing. I may be misinterpreting the word 'pardon', but to me it implies sins forgiven. If there were no sins, how can they be forgiven?
                  Last edited by Mary Chambers; 24-12-13, 11:40.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                    Can someone be pardoned when they have done nothing wrong? I suppose it's an admission that the conviction was wrong, which is something, but what about all the others who were also abominable treated? I feel sort of uncomfortable about this, but perhaps it's better than nothing. I may be misinterpreting the word 'pardon', but to me it implies sins forgiven. If there were no sins, how can they be forgiven?
                    I agree with Mary's analysis but I guess it's the best ending to a very sad and salutary tale.

The question that no-one seems to raise is: having done so much in his relatively short life, what else might Akan Turing have achieved had he klived a further twenty-five years, possibly in a stable nurturing relationship?

'Victimless crime' cries Peter Tatchell of Turing's punishment, and quite rightly. But what if the true victim were humankind?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Can someone be pardoned when they have done nothing wrong? I suppose it's an admission that the conviction was wrong, which is something, but what about all the others who were also abominable treated? I feel sort of uncomfortable about this, but perhaps it's better than nothing. I may be misinterpreting the word 'pardon', but to me it implies sins forgiven. If there were no sins, how can they be forgiven?
                      Good point Mary

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Can someone be pardoned when they have done nothing wrong? I suppose it's an admission that the conviction was wrong, which is something, but what about all the others who were also abominably treated? I feel sort of uncomfortable about this, but perhaps it's better than nothing. I may be misinterpreting the word 'pardon', but to me it implies sins forgiven. If there were no sins, how can they be forgiven?
                        You can be prosecuted and convicted for what was at that time a crime. New legislation doesn't imply that those previously found guilty automatically have their convictions wiped from the record.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Do they give posthumous peerages....??

bong ching

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            Do they give posthumous peerages....??

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conten...ing-statue.jpg
                            A Nobel Prize even?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Can someone be pardoned when they have done nothing wrong?
                              Well, that takes us into the realms of book-burning and that's worse. I guess a pardon is the best outcome in the overall scheme of things.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                Good point Mary
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X