X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

Census 2011 - England & Wales

The population of England and Wales has reached 56.1 million, up by 3.7 million in a decade, the 2011 Census shows.It is the largest growth shown by any census since they began in 1801.

The population in England was 53 million on 27 March 2011 when the census was taken, about 400,000 more than official estimates.

In Wales the population was 3.1 million. Around 55% of the 3.7m increase was attributed to net migration.

The census showed that the population for England and Wales was greater than official estimates rolled forward from 2001 - by just over 500,000.

The population of England and Wales has reached 56.1 million, a rise of 3.7 million in a decade, the 2011 Census shows.

The data & analysis:

This Page is [ARCHIVED CONTENT] and shows what the site page http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_270487.pdf looked like on 5 Jan 2016 at 16:07:09

Plenty of food for thought there, I should think
  • Lateralthinking1

I am surprised by this 56 million figure which is little different from that in the 1960s. Other surveys have shown the current population as being well over 60 million.

I do have my doubts about the accuracy of it. Who have we lost other than OAPs to Spain and a few EFL teaching students?

I believe that a population of 56 million is acceptable. I am completely opposed to projections to 70 million as have often been mentioned recently.

I also believe that colour and creed are irrelevant when compared with the numbers which are about whether or not all people here are able to be properly fed and watered, housed, mobile and kept well.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      I am surprised by this 56 million figure which is little different from that in the 1960s. Other surveys have shown the current population as being well over 60 million.

I do have my doubts about the accuracy of it. Who have we lost other than OAPs to Spain and a few EFL teaching students?

I believe that a population of 56 million is acceptable. I am completely opposed to projections to 70 million as have often been mentioned recently.

I also believe that colour and creed are irrelevant when compared with the numbers which are about whether or not all people here are able to be properly fed and watered, housed, mobile and kept well.
      Just checking you realise that this is E&W ONLY, Lat

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Just checking you realise that this is E&W ONLY, Lat
        No I didn't am51. That accounts for it then. I am of the view that Scotland must decide for itself what number it needs but I think the figure for England and Wales would ideally be 48-52 million.

Comment

Working...
        X