X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    I too remember James Blades and the V sign he recorded.
    He was also Rank on the gong, I discover
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Boilk
      • Dec 2010

The Bush House audio hardware is up for auction, Phase I of the sale being in late July.

Lots of quality-brand goodies to be had, judging from the brochure.

Has anyone had experience of the Revox PR99 MKIII reel-to-reel stereo tape recorder? I have some old reels that are long overdue for digitising.
      Last edited by Boilk; 12-07-12, 14:12. Reason: typos

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flay View Post
        He was also Rank on the gong, I discover

Soundtrack, not visuals!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Soundtrack, not visuals!
          According to wiki:

"People who have played the Gongman include Carl Dane, Bombardier Billy Wells, Phil Nieman, and Ken Richmond."

It doesn't say who supplied the chip fat

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Forgive me. Off-topic, this reminded me of the Bonzo Dog Band's Intro, featuring at the end: "J. Arthur Rank on gong"

Viv Stanshall & Co's amazing band.Hi there, nice to be with you, glad you could stick around.Like to introduce `Legs' Larry Smith, drumsAnd Sam Spoons, rhyth...
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Today, 15th July, there is a half hour programme on R4 at 1.30 pm, given by John Tusa. Being an insomniac I've already heard in on the World Service.

GOODBYE TO BUSH HOUSE.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                Today, 15th July, there is a half hour programme on R4 at 1.30 pm, given by John Tusa. Being an insomniac I've already heard in on the World Service.

GOODBYE TO BUSH HOUSE.
                A good programme.

It seems ironic that when we had the pirate radio ships, Bush House was the pirate radio ship for many in other countries.

The building also seemed like a permanent solid presence with a very special history. I fear for the World Service if it is now being moved on a whim by the powers that be.

Comment

• aeolium
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, thank you for the reminder about this programme, salymap. I enjoyed it though wished it could have been a bit longer. The reminiscence of one of the contributors about how the news editorial lines were sent in tubes to the different language sections suggests that this inspired Orwell (who must have given talks there) for the use of the tubes in the Ministry of Truth. I suppose as it was a celebratory programme, Tusa did not want to rock the boat by mentioning the controversial closures of a number of the language services in recent years, but some basic information about how the WS has changed would have been useful.

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                    A good programme.

It seems ironic that when we had the pirate radio ships, Bush House was the pirate radio ship for many in other countries.

The building also seemed like a permanent solid presence with a very special history. I fear for the World Service if it is now being moved on a whim by the powers that be.
                    I fear for the World Service too Lat. When one thinks of its importance in WW2 and then listens, as I often do, to the way it is presented now, dumbing down is quite obvious. There are still some serious programmes but not all that many IMO.

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

A bit off topic but for no reason I remember a wartime verse that was often quoted about the BBC.

They cook the news at GHQs, they flavour at BUP.
                      They hang 'til high at the MOI, then serve at the BBC. [EOE}

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

what my small brain can't understand is why, living as I do approx. 50 miles from London, I can't pick up on my radio all the foreign language services Bush House is/was transmitting across the world

likewise why can't I pick up any stations further away than Europe on my radio?

if you see what I mean

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          what my small brain can't understand is why, living as I do approx. 50 miles from London, I can't pick up on my radio all the foreign language services Bush House is/was transmitting across the world

likewise why can't I pick up any stations further away than Europe on my radio?

if you see what I mean
                          The BBC World Service broadcasts to different parts of the world from a variety of transmitters around the world. Details here:

You will see from that that you require a short wave receiver to listen to these broadcasts. There's still a lot fascinating SW* broadcasts to be heard, even in these days of internet radio.

VHF, MF and LF do not travel long distances which is why HF is used.

*known as HF these days.

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

thanks mangerton.
                            I have a radio with 6xSW bands on it and I'm surprised how little foreign language I can pick up. Four stations in French, a couple in Spanish, one Arabic and that's it. Not powerful enough I guess. For some reason your link doesn't work for me, but wikipedia is interesting on the World Service.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                              • Nov 2010

I consider myself very lucky to have spent three years at Bush House in the English language teaching section (BBC English, formerly 'English by Radio').

The World Service was very much the Cinderella of the BBC Empire, but it was where you would find the ethos of public service broadcasting at its keenest.

At that time (1990/93) the MDWS was John Tusa (surely the best Director General that the BBC never had) and he could be seen every morning in the canteen chatting to the variou section chiefs, news staff and visiting contributors. Entirely accessible and informal. I once had a chat with him after he had co-hosted the Twin Cities Radio 3 Week from St.Paul's, Minnesota.

My father was also an occasional visitor there and took part in many fine productions for the drama department directed by Gordon House and David Hitchinson.

it was also where I met my wife to be. She was the PA to my department head and also handled all the administration for the annual BBC English Summer School. Each year she'd be resident for three weeks in West Hampstead and later Roehampton as some 150 students came from all over the world. This was a job she did for thirteen years and when she looks back she knows that hers was a job like no other.

We're no longer married but back in April we went together to one of the farewell parties for ex-Bush House staff and had a marvellous time touring the myriad corridors, sticking our noses into studios and editing suites and recognising many a familar face, rather as if we were at a school reunion.

I used the word 'ethos' earlier and that spirit of radio for radio's sake has vanished all too quickly, and now in Telly Land we see very much the same disappearing trick occurring with the sale of Television Centre. Surely, the finest, bespoke television production facility on the planet.

Oh, how glum it all makes me feel. Things change, of course they do, but it's so sad to see all the same.

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                                I consider myself very lucky to have spent three years at Bush House in the English language teaching section (BBC English, formerly 'English by Radio').

The World Service was very much the Cinderella of the BBC Empire, but it was where you would find the ethos of public service broadcasting at its keenest.

At that time (1990/93) the MDWS was John Tusa (surely the best Director General that the BBC never had) and he could be seen every morning in the canteen chatting to the variou section chiefs, news staff and visiting contributors. Entirely accessible and informal. I once had a chat with him after he had co-hosted the Twin Cities Radio 3 Week from St.Paul's, Minnesota.

My father was also an occasional visitor there and took part in many fine productions for the drama department directed by Gordon House and David Hitchinson.

it was also where I met my wife to be. She was the PA to my department head and also handled all the administration for the annual BBC English Summer School. Each year she'd be resident for three weeks in West Hampstead and later Roehampton as some 150 students came from all over the world. This was a job she did for thirteen years and when she looks back she knows that hers was a job like no other.

We're no longer married but back in April we went together to one of the farewell parties for ex-Bush House staff and had a marvellous time touring the myriad corridors, sticking our noses into studios and editing suites and recognising many a familar face, rather as if we were at a school reunion.

I used the word 'ethos' earlier and that spirit of radio for radio's sake has vanished all too quickly, and now in Telly Land we see very much the same disappearing trick occurring with the sale of Television Centre. Surely, the finest, bespoke television production facility on the planet.

Oh, how glum it all makes me feel. Things change, of course they do, but it's so sad to see all the same.
                                Thanks shb, that was an interesting post from an insider of Bush House. I only visited it once and Broadcasting House about three times [for the Proms announcements],but I can't help feeling much is being lost. I thought it just my age, but if you feel the same it can't be. Best wishes,

Comment

Working...
                                X