• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The BBC World Service finally leaves Bush House at noon on 12th July

An historic and imposing building in the Strand will be finally vacated tomorrow for new modern offices.

It will be returned, after 80 years, to its Japanese owners.

Do any of our ex BBC members have memories of it? I visited it once and it was certainly impressive.
    Last edited by salymap; 12-07-12, 09:36. Reason: typo
  • amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    An historic and imposing building in the Strand will be finally vacated tomorrow for new modern offices.

It will be returned, after 80 years, to its Japenese owners.

Do any of our ex BBC members have memories of it? I visited it once and it was certainly impressive.
    I was interviewed 'live' there very early one morning, something to do with the negative impact of the National Lottery on charitable funding which I toddled along to pooh-pooh.

Not easy to pooh-pooh before 06:30 on just BBC coffee let me tell you

Comment

• handsomefortune

at a glance, i thought it might be another delightful winne the pooh post...

but what exactly were you pooh poohing amatuer...? were you participating in 'the toady' programme with mr humphries, to be at bh so early?

where will paddy o'c broadcast from on sunday mornings on r4 now then.... costa, or starbucks?

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

Do any of our ex BBC members have memories of it?
        Well, I'm not an 'ex BBC member' but I certainly visited that
        historic and imposing building
        several times in the 1990s. My main reason for visiting was to meet up with (the now late/ great) Dr Ernest Warburton ( sadly died 2001) with regard to his 'grand J.C. Bach recording project'.
        I have to say that I ( think) I always 'got on well' with Ernest and I was pretty well in awe of his vast knowledge.
        A few years after his death I was working on a recording project with an equally distinguished BBC producer who surprised me by referring to the late Dr Warburton as a 'bloody know-all'!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
          I was pretty well in awe of his vast knowledge.
          A few years after his death I was working on a recording project with an equally distinguished BBC producer who surprised me by referring to the late Dr Warburton as a 'bloody know-all'!
          I think those few lines epitomise precisely what ails the BBC these days

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Extended Play

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
            at a glance, i thought it might be another delightful winne the pooh post...

but what exactly were you pooh poohing amatuer...? were you participating in 'the toady' programme with mr humphries, to be at bh so early?

where will paddy o'c broadcast from on sunday mornings on r4 now then.... costa, or starbucks?
            The two "BH"s have got a bit mixed up here, eh?

Comment

• handsomefortune

how so?

Comment

• Extended Play

Bush House and Broadcasting House.

And I think Paddy O'C's "BH" on Sunday, and the Today programme, don't come from either, but from Television Centre!

Comment

• handsomefortune

and (i since notice) it's r4 .....not the world service - but thanks extended replay.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I think those few lines epitomise precisely what ails the BBC these days

Whereas as my first mini was called Ernest Warburton. Respec' .
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

The BBC World Service has occupied the same building for more than 70 years, and the joy of moving to a state-of-the-art new home is mixed with sadness.
                      Last edited by mercia; 12-07-12, 08:31.

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Thanks for the link mercia. Is there anything about the important broadcasts made to occupied France in WW2
                        Ican just remember them?

Comment

• mercia
                          • Nov 2010

found a little bit about de Gaulle
                          Vive La France! There's no denying that we British are a bit funny about the French. We love them for our houses in their countryside, their tasty gourmet food,...

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

when I was at school the timpanist/percussionist James Blades came to give a talk and I think he said it was he who recorded the wartime V for victory BBC call sign
                          Last edited by mercia; 12-07-12, 08:31.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks again mercia. I'm fairly sure that the General lived in the suburb of Bromley and Orpington, Petts Wood, then far more country than it is now. I lived not far away and often played with children from Ostend, who were rescued with their extended families by the 'little boats'when Belguim was
                            invaded. This was when staying with an aunt who lived there.

I too remember James Blades and the V sign he recorded. best wishes.....

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

found another interesting link

Comment

Working...
                              X