Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

I notice that arms deals Andrew is going to be up there with his Saudi pals. Tempting for those of a pushy disposition.

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      £25 to go up to the viewing platform
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18716658
      ...and another £100 to come down, presumably!

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        I notice that arms deals Andrew is going to be up there with his Saudi pals. Tempting for those of a pushy disposition.
        along with the LPO

surely it would have been more appropriate to have an evening of Chopin ?

(nothing to do with politics of course )
        it does raise the old question (as with Wagner)

I love the building but hate the things that put it there ,

but everything IS connected ................... I remember as a teenager being horrified to discover that the performance of Eight Songs for a Mad King I went to at the Chester festival had been funded by BNFL

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          I remember as a teenager being horrified to discover that the performance of Eight Songs for a Mad King I went to at the Chester festival had been funded by BNFL
          I can't imagine that Max was very thrilled by that, either.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

A rather earlier Shard - http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...minchinhampton & http://www.flickr.com/photos/63821440@N00/209028608/. One that might meet with Prince Charles' approval - especially important as it's virtually on his doorstep.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              A rather earlier Shard - http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co...minchinhampton & http://www.flickr.com/photos/63821440@N00/209028608/. One that might meet with Prince Charles' approval - especially important as it's virtually on his doorstep.
              Seen six miles in the distance from the Heights of Upper Norwood this afternoon, caught in the sunshine, I have to admit that the Shard did look quite impressive.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

Does anyone know what Prince Charles thinks of it? I imagine he hates it; hope so, anything that gets up Prince Charles's nose is fine by me.

A question raised earlier was why does London have ever higher buildings? Surely the answer is the astronomical price of land? If you have to pay a million quid per square foot for a building plot, you arent going to put a two story house on it when you can put a two hundred story pile of offices.

I always understood that you couldnt build tall (and thereby heavy) buildings in London because the geological strata werent strong enough - unlike New York, which can have sky scrapers because they are built on solid rock. But now they seem to have found a way around that.

And, no, nothing would persuade me to go up and look at the view, I've no head for heights and the mere thought is pushing me towards a panic attack. And what happens if the lift breaks down?

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

It reminds me of Milton's description of Pandaemonium in Paradise Lost as well as an uncanny likeness to JG Ballard's evocations of cityscapes in Cocaine Nights and Supercannes.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post

I always understood that you couldnt build tall (and thereby heavy) buildings in London because the geological strata werent strong enough - unlike New York, which can have sky scrapers because they are built on solid rock. But now they seem to have found a way around that.
                    Piles have a lot to do with it...

Comment

• umslopogaas
                      • Nov 2010

"Piles have a lot to do with it ..."

Those buildings must find sitting on the London shales VERY uncomfortable.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

"Piles have a lot to do with it ..."

Those buildings must find sitting on the London shales VERY uncomfortable.
                        Possibly not as uncomfortable as this would be for Prince Charles -

, anything that gets up Prince Charles's nose is fine by me.

Comment

Working...
                        X