X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    yup, played football there, Lat.
    In fact I have played football at a number of the countries top public schools. (Not very well).
    Westminster, Eton, Winchester, cricket at Charterhouse.
    I had the good fortune to go to a very good school, at which football was especially important.(which is why I wanted to go there !!)
    Needless to say, I was strictly second X1 at footy.
    !
    Impressive. I can't imagine any of them playing football.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      Oh dear, now they've reserected (another) dead Beetle.
      Tassium on another forum describes the best moment of Huw Edwards's commentary so far -

"There are some children and that's a trombone, some people on cycles and here's some pets..."

Elsewhere -

"This sounds and looks like eurovision ...only worse"

"Some very 'holiday camp' naff dancing going on"

"one direction? why is a bunch of talentless puppets on? sounds like they are miming"

"Where's a Talaban sniper when you need them?"

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        yup, played football there, Lat.
        In fact I have played football at a number of the countries top public schools. (Not very well).
        Westminster, Eton, Winchester, cricket at Charterhouse.
        I had the good fortune to go to a very good school, at which football was especially important.(which is why I wanted to go there !!)
        Needless to say, I was strictly second X1 at footy.
        !
        Surely not XI - I presumed you meant Rugby Football - no self respecting public school (especially Eton) would have anything to do with (I hardly dare say it) association football, surely?

Comment

• scottycelt

What idiot(s) considered Lennon's openly atheistic song 'Imagine' appropriate for a coming-together of peoples of all faiths and none at the Closing Ceremony?

And after all the great work that went before ..

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Sounds like I'm not missing much (the [allegedly] pro-Olympics thread doesn't seem that impressed either) - Mrs G and Miss G are sat watching, but I am in solitary on this forum (well Laphroig). Think I shall be heading for bed shortly and JLU

mmmm, Nice!

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              What idiot(s) considered Lennon's openly atheistic song 'Imagine' appropriate for a coming-together of peoples of all faiths and none at the Closing Ceremony?

And after all the great work that went before ..
              A sad post, Scottie. I didn't realise the athletes were defined at the ceremony by their different faiths; different cultures, maybe, different locations, certainly. But faiths...? I can't think of many more appropriate songs than 'Imagine".

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>There are some children and that's a trombone, some people on cycles and here's some pets..."

Marvellous too that Jimmy Clitheroe was asked along to add weight to the commentary.

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

I hate to say this, but so far the Spice Girls have done the best act.

It's the same old pop stuff.

Such a shame to do this after so much brilliance during the last two weeks (apart from Paul McCartney). Oh no, now it's "look on the bright side of life."
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                    Oh no, now it's "look on the bright side of life."
                    with roller-skating nuns of course
                    Boris Johnson was enjoying the Spice Girls wasn't he
                    I hope that gets onto youtube

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Oh well only 12 minutes more of this chavshow - I bet Kate Bush won't be on...

Night all!

Comment

• Flay
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Oh well only 12 minutes more of this chavshow - I bet Kate Bush won't be on...

Night all!
                        There was a Kate Bush song early in the proceedings, but I did not see her. It was probably just a recording.
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                          I hate to say this, but so far the Spice Girls have done the best act.

It's the same old pop stuff.

Such a shame to do this after so much brilliance during the last two weeks (apart from Paul McCartney). Oh no, now it's "look on the bright side of life."

It's as if someone took out of the bin all the crap ideas which Danny Boyle threw away for the opening ceremony, and said "Hey girls, we can still use these!"

Embarrassing.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

It's as if someone took out of the bin all the crap ideas which Danny Boyle threw away for the opening ceremony, and said "Hey girls, we can still use these!"

Embarrassing.
                            Well, I guess you're right. But if you are going to make the closing ceremony a gigantic historical pop concert - giant disco, even - it would be hard not to include the acts we've seen. It's just that it doesn't have the flair of the opening ceremony.

Comment

• pilamenon
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                              Well, I guess you're right. But if you are going to make the closing ceremony a gigantic historical pop concert - giant disco, even - it would be hard not to include the acts we've seen. It's just that it doesn't have the flair of the opening ceremony.
                              I think that's very fair . Not a patch on the opening ceremony, and highly variable in quality, but it had its moments.

Actually, I quite enjoyed Eric Idle's bit. And the Rio section looks promising for a touch more class in 2016.

Worst feature of the night - all that mugging for the camera by the athletes.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                                You mean it wa c..p?

Why couldn't The Who just have done one of their greatest - 'I can see for miles' or 'Pinball Wizard'?

Why did Queen have the ubiquitously awful Jessie J with them, they'd have been better with George Michael rather than his awful earlier contribution?

The athletes had done their bit - they deserved a better send off!
                                Last edited by cloughie; 13-08-12, 00:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X