Olympinonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Watching a few minutes of the diving before the news last night, a thought popped to the front of my mind which has been hovering somewhere at the back throughout the competition: waxing. It seems few sports are possible these days without, erm, depilation, of one form or another. Presumably a part of the Olympic legacy will be a dramatic expansion of body waxing services. It's yet another thing, on top of all the training, which puts the rest of us off even getting started.

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Watching a few minutes of the diving before the news last night, a thought popped to the front of my mind which has been hovering somewhere at the back throughout the competition: waxing. It seems few sports are possible these days without, erm, depilation, of one form or another. Presumably a part of the Olympic legacy will be a dramatic expansion of body waxing services. It's yet another thing, on top of all the training, which puts the rest of us off even getting started.
      This funky waxing bar looks like a rock star's bedroom and sells sexy undies upstairs; in discreet treatment rooms downstairs is an array of exotic-smelling hot waxes in chocolate, rose and lavender.

Still not tempted?

Strip Hair Removal Experts, voted London's best waxing & laser hair removal salon. Expert team, immaculate hygiene & speedy yet thorough approach. Book Online

Hmm.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

It's a subject on which the commentators, pundidts, post-race interviewers etc. are strangely silent.

Comment

• handsomefortune

1,00 grumpy posts

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
          Gee thanks guys - you've set me up again just in time:

GOLD GOLD GOLD
          o o o w-o-w, ooo congratulations old grumpy! (blush, sob, splutter and burst, ...close camera shot, heavy on the zoom).

(it's a bit early but what the hell), here's to old grumpy's bounce!!!

way to go old grumpy!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

i'm planning on watching some of the para olympic events, i wonder if there'll be a thread?.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
            At the rate we're going, we could be at 2000 by Sunday. I haven't watched a limpic yet. I'm wondering whether to watch the end on Sunday - just to make sure it's actually happened.
            All that peace & quiet - can you imagine?

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              You mean you're not tempted by the back, crack & sack treatment, Richard?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                As for the earlier posts, I've heard from an unconfirmed source that Kate Bush will be performing at the closing ceremony. Genuinely. If it is true, I can only assume it will be video as it is decades since she has done live.
                It seems that Lat is right as it's reported today that Kate Bush has been spotted at rehearsals along with the Pet Shop Boys (hurrah for that!), Annie Lennox and Brian May (oh dear) and Eric Idle will be singing Always Look on the Bright Side of Life whilst Del Boy and Rodney's Reliant Robin is blown up.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  It seems that Lat is right as it's reported today that Kate Bush has been spotted at rehearsals along with the Pet Shop Boys (hurrah for that!), Annie Lennox and Brian May (oh dear) and Eric Idle will be singing Always Look on the Bright Side of Life whilst Del Boy and Rodney's Reliant Robin is blown up.
                  Oh deepjoy!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    I agree with you Anna on the music. Kate Bush hasn't performed live since the eighties because of stage fright so I can't believe that she won't be miming. Even then, it is an extraordinary, rather wonderful, thing. If Andy Partridge of XTC can be encouraged too, I will drop every bit of criticism, but that alas won't happen.

Ideally the Pet Shop Boys will do their Russian rhythmic gymnastics October Revolution period thing (c.1990) - almost high art and far to the left of Tony Benn - but that won't happen either. As for Lennox and May, not again!

I don't like the sound of the Reliant being blown up. It is a very mixed metaphor. First, it is a myth that the entire Stratford area has been magically transformed from a Dickensian scene to Cape Canaveral. Those who know it isn't true are cynically involved in propaganda but there are also many middle class 30 and 40-somethings who want to be convinced and are so, essentially naive.

And is this yet again to signal the end of the untrustworthy white South London working classes, as if we haven't had enough already? Del and Rodney may have been wide boys but they weren't devious enough to be any good at it and had considerable charm. If only the same could be said of the posh suits.

Comment

• handsomefortune

Rodney's Reliant Robin is blown up.

i sincerely hope not! what a waste of a uniquely famous vintage car, with a motor bike engine!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                        Rodney's Reliant Robin is blown up.

i sincerely hope not! what a waste of a uniquely famous vintage car, with a motor bike engine!
                        The main Delboy reliant is at the foot of Porlock Hill, just in case anyone wants to take photos.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by JohnSkelton View Post
                          This funky waxing bar looks like a rock star's bedroom and sells sexy undies upstairs; in discreet treatment rooms downstairs is an array of exotic-smelling hot waxes in chocolate, rose and lavender.

Still not tempted?

Strip Hair Removal Experts, voted London's best waxing & laser hair removal salon. Expert team, immaculate hygiene & speedy yet thorough approach. Book Online

Hmm.
                          "Hygiene at Strip is of upmost importance"

I bet!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                            it is a myth that the entire Stratford area has been magically transformed from a Dickensian scene to Cape Canaveral.
                            I only went by there a couple of weeks ago to attend a funeral at Manor Park cemetary, and certainly hope you are right, Lat, and that they haven't removed the pub on the 1-way round the back from the station, of which I have a very happy memory; I nearly got picked up there on a Saturday night 15 years ago by three young women wanting to prove to their... satisfaction that I wasn't gay! (I've always been a "real gentleman", such as your good self).

Comment

• Anna

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was wondering about the wax or not to wax question. Cyclists of course have always shaved their legs (less wind resistance), rowers don't seem to but gymnasts and swimmers seem to be half and half in whether they do or don't. In fact, as they're showing their armpits all the time I'm surprised they don't all favour the smooth look. I must study the runners in more depth to see if they have hair!! Personally, I'm in favour of waxing for men although it may have a downside in that hair traps the pheronomes that attract sexual partners. I think that was borne out in the old Apache dance when men would push the womans face into their armpit to overpower and seduce her in a trice with his smell.

Anyway, enough of that frivolity and onto serious things more bad news re closing ceremony. It seems Macca is to be wheeled out to do a Beatles medley and the closing act will be Blur (I saw them when they had reformed and they were dire, I'd rather it was Damon and Gorillaz!)

Comment

• scottycelt

More familiar scenes have already returned ...

Picture special: As London 2012 draws to a close, the world's athletes let their hair down – and sometimes their trousers too

Hell, I think I'm beginning to catch 'Olympics Misery Disease' ...

Comment

Working...
                                X