• Show
Clear All
  • Northender

YOU'D FORGOTTEN 'THE TWO HEATHERS'?

Comment

• pilamenon
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      No you're not a curmudgeon, because if you are that means I am too!

It's a bit like all this media talk of yesterday's GB 'Gold Rush' ... I do wonder just how many fewer golds we'd have if it were a "trickle"? ..

I am delighted for and admire the winners, but the media have reached virtual insanity level over these "two" gold medals. And it's almost as if the silver and bronze achieved no longer count. Anyhow, we're still below Kazakhstan in the table.

Highlight yesterday was GB's all-out bid for glory against the invincible Germans in the men's eights. Now that really was emotional and highly moving.

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

First of all, well done all the medal winners. In sports parlance you done good.

Regardless of whether the stamps should have been printed or not (probably NOT, IMHO), it's a very poor show that the Post Office can't get a consignment of stamps to Lossiemouth until tomorrow, when other parts of the country will get them today.

Actually, it's a damn disgrace!

Comment

• Sydney Grew
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

What I find most amusing is when one of those self-centred giantesses fails to "win" and begins to blub. Upon seeing that, I laugh uncontrollably for minutes at a time. Then for the rest of the day I have a big big smile on my face.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Regarding special stamps, I saw special 50 pence coins on sale in WH Smith's - at something like 5 or 6 times their face value. I expressed disbelief that anyone would buy them to the girl on the till (which she agreed with) & wondered if they would be reduced to 49p when the Limpics were over.

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
              What I find most amusing is when one of those self-centred giantesses fails to "win" and begins to blub. Upon seeing that, I laugh uncontrollably for minutes at a time
              No you don't, stop fibbing.
              Steve

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

No you're not a curmudgeon, because if you are that means I am too!

It's a bit like all this media talk of yesterday's GB 'Gold Rush' ... I do wonder just how many fewer golds we'd have if it were a "trickle"? ..
                Excellent.

And of course there'd have to be a media blackout if it were a question of a "golden shower"...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                  First of all, well done all the medal winners. In sports parlance you done good.

Regardless of whether the stamps should have been printed or not (probably NOT, IMHO), it's a very poor show that the Post Office can't get a consignment of stamps to Lossiemouth until tomorrow, when other parts of the country will get them today.

Actually, it's a damn disgrace!
                  The Royal Mail have painted a post box in Moray gold in their honour. You might like to pop along and see it.

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                    The Royal Mail have painted a post box in Moray gold in their honour. You might like to pop along and see it.
                    Moray is quite a large area. I would imagine the most likely location for this gold post box to be either Lossiemouth or Elgin, about 120 miles away over not particularly good roads - 2.5 to 3 hours is about right. It's not really feasible to "pop along" even were I inclined to do so.

Comment

• handsomefortune

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                      way to go!
                      !

Comment

• Sydney Grew
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                        Well no - sorry to contradict your contradiction - but on the contrary - it's true - I really do. Not the ha-ha kind of laughter, but an irrepressible chuckling which for many minutes just keeps coming back. It is not dissimilar to the hiccups - a suitable analogy in a thread such as this devoted to the body and its (to me and to all persons of refinement) unsavoury functions.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

a suitable analogy in a thread such as this devoted to the body and its (to me and to all persons of refinement) unsavoury functions.
                          Extreme pushing of the body in sport can't be any better for health than a classic unhealthy life.

Much as I enjoy, say, watching the cycling and the gymnastics, who would be the best bet at the age of 70 for enjoying relatively pain free five mile walks? Someone who has had a sedentary lifestyle in their teens, 20s and 30s, with a burger and a beer here and there, or another who every day of the week spends 5-6 hours in relentless physical training?

One is condemned, the other deified. I find society's attitudes in this regard untrustworthy and contradictory.

Comment

• scottycelt

Well no - sorry to contradict your contradiction - but on the contrary - it's true - I really do. Not the ha-ha kind of laughter, but an irrepressible chuckling which for many minutes just keeps coming back. It is not dissimilar to the hiccups - a suitable analogy in a thread such as this devoted to the body and its (to me and to all persons of refinement) unsavoury functions.
                            Undoubtedly pedantry has its critics, and I'm therefore loathe to interject, but wouldn't all persons of refinement tend to use the term 'hiccoughs' rather than the more colloquial corruption observed here?

For information, I think your own particular ailment is commonly diagnosed as 'a fit of the giggles', and more generally associated with young ladies. Though rare in males, often it can be greatly exacerbated by the presence of excess facial hair, and, though, as yet, there is no known cure, a jolly good shave is thoroughly recommended to ease the condition, which can be most distressing to others who witness it, though relatively harmless to the sufferers themselves.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

What I find most amusing is when one of those self-centred giantesses fails to "win" and begins to blub. Upon seeing that, I laugh uncontrollably for minutes at a time. Then for the rest of the day I have a big big smile on my face.
                              This post suggests to me

(a)
                              self-centred giantesses
                              implied sexism

(b)
                              begins to blub
                              implied contempt for emotion in general and tears in particular; and for their incompatibility with physical strength.

Happily all opinions which are rapidly becoming outdated, as they belong in the era of imperialism.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Undoubtedly pedantry has its critics, and I'm therefore loathe to interject, but wouldn't all persons of refinement tend to use the term 'hiccoughs' rather than the more colloquial corruption observed here?

Loath as I am to leap to Eva's husband's defence, it is "hiccoughs" which is the corruption, (as any occasional viewer of QI might confirm ).

Comment

Working...
                                X