X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Unbeliveable!!!

In other news: God bless Olga Korbut! Cutting through the nonsense.... Anyone see her on the highlights prog this evening? Gabby Thingummyjig gushing on to her: "Olga, do you think it's a golden age in gymnasics now?"

Answer: "No, this is era of gymnastics going down [cue: horrified look to camera from Gabby that someone has dared utter an opinion not packed with superlatives].... we need to change to grace, more beautiful gymnastics, more passion, more smile, more joy".

Good on you, girl. Awesome in 1972, awesome still Someone who really loves her sport.
    I agree. I saw Olga Korbut being interviewed earlier in the day. People seem to be talking about 'shedding a tear' every other second but it was the first time that I have felt at all emotional in almost a positive way since the Olympics began.

Comment

• Northender

Re. #690:
      You do get your own G4S-trained lawyer, who might help if you're caught in flagrante.
      I've removed the superfluous 's' from "Rogges's", by the way.

Comment

• amateur51

Unbeliveable!!!

In other news: God bless Olga Korbut! Cutting through the nonsense.... Anyone see her on the highlights prog this evening? Gabby Thingummyjig gushing on to her: "Olga, do you think it's a golden age in gymnasics now?"

Answer: "No, this is era of gymnastics going down [cue: horrified look to camera from Gabby that someone has dared utter an opinion not packed with superlatives].... we need to change to grace, more beautiful gymnastics, more passion, more smile, more joy".

Good on you, girl. Awesome in 1972, awesome still Someone who really loves her sport.
        Any chance of a link/more details, Caliban?

Anything to see Gabby's look

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Any chance of a link/more details, Caliban?

Anything to see Gabby's look
          To be helpful, I've found this clip. It starts at 38 minutes and ends at 45 minutes. The classic moment is at 43 minutes but I very much enjoyed it all.

Four people I like in one studio. Doesn't happen very often!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
            To be helpful, I've found this clip. It starts at 38 minutes and ends at 45 minutes. The classic moment is at 43 minutes but I very much enjoyed it all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...on_2012_Day_4/
            Many thanks Lats! - that was wonderful

Good to see that the people who taught English to Rostropovich taught Olga too - "this is why World loves me - I smile from heart!"

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Good to see that the people who taught English to Rostropovich taught Olga too - "this is why World loves me - I smile from heart!"
              Russian language has no articles.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Beautiful wasn't it - natural artistry is the place that rule-breaking steroids will never reach.

(Congratulations to the Americans yesterday but it is the Romanians who currently have the grace)
                Last edited by Guest; 01-08-12, 14:45.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...on_2012_Day_4/
                  Ooh yes, many thanks Lat - only just returned here. Well found, sir!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    Russian language has no articles.
                    This I know. I read newspaper (that's as far as I got learning Russian from the BBC in the 1960s ). It was the pauses that I admired

Comment

• Anna

Boris Johnson got stuck while descending the zip-wire at the Olympic Park. You shouldn't really laugh but he is good value. I think it was yesterday he commented on the beach volleyball, saying words to the effect that "it's full of half-naked women, glistening wet, like sleek otters"
                      Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, has got stuck dangling in mid-air while riding a zip wire as part of the London 2012 Olympic celebrations.

Comment

• Beef Oven

There's a job I'm glad I don't have to do

(Bit like putting toothpaste on the Prince of Wales's brush)
                        and make sure you get every last bit out of the tube!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

There's a job I'm glad I don't have to do

(Bit like putting toothpaste on the Prince of Wales's brush)
                          That's a sinecure compared with collecting the Royal we.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Yes I saw that too,brilliant,and she's gorgeous

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              'accredited' = 'Olympic Family' members'' which = The VIPs, heads of state, IOC members, athletes, team support staff, some sponsors, and international sports officials.

In case you didn't know

No mention of the media.

Get your facts right.

My facts came from here -

An irreproachable source.

your 'facts' came from ?
                              I keep coming back but not really sure why I bother. Read the damn figures as to how many tickets go to sponsors compared to, for example, the Olympic family. In your original post you were adamant that it was those nasty corporate sponsors who were behind all those empty seats. I pointed out to you with references that it was not the corporate sponsors whose seats were unoccupied. And STILL you get on your damn hobby horse about corporate sponsors. Where does this hatred of all things corporate and commercial come from? Why did you duck and dive and refuse to answer a perfectly reasonable question in another thread? It seems to me that regardless of what you might like to think you pretend to preach, that your views are about as blinkered as anyone that I have come across on many a forum.

Yes, I can do bile. Bigotry I will leave to you.

Now where is that Ignore list ?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

You're not Melanie Philips in disguise, are you?

Actually, I did agree with something she said tonight, about the corporatism of the Olympic Games.

I'm a bit worried - should I see a doctor?

Comment

Working...
                                X