X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... and your point is ?
    That there are more chavs in Oxbridge than on all of the council estates put together; that their artistic vision, such as it is, is often far more of a hell hole than the worst living conditions in Dickensian London; that most of them are still spoilt little rich kids, entirely remote from the general public and blase about anyone's welfare along with their own; that the Prime Minister has a strange choice of friends, many of whom arguably have already helped to destabilise the country; that a number are a danger to our treasured institutions; and that the woman in question could bear more than a passing resemblance to the lovely Samantha.

Comment

• JohnSkelton

Apologies if this has been posted before or if it is unacceptably frivolous but here's Alan Partridge commentating on an Olympic opening ceremony http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnUNZs42GzY

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        That there are more chavs in Oxbridge than on all of the council estates put together; that their artistic vision, such as it is, is often far more of a hell hole than the worst living conditions in Dickensian London; that most of them are still spoilt little rich kids, entirely remote from the general public and blase about anyone's welfare along with their own; that the Prime Minister has a strange choice of friends, many of whom arguably have already helped to destabilise the country; that a number are a danger to our treasured institutions; and that the woman in question could bear more than a passing resemblance to the lovely Samantha.
        Really? You know every single one of them? You have met and talked to them? No, thought not. Another example of your own prejudices - and pretty offensive to the very many excellent men and women who go to Oxbridge.

Please give us a break from all your cant. Enough.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
          Really? You know every single one of them? You have met and talked to them? No, thought not. Another example of your own prejudices - and pretty offensive to the very many excellent men and women who go to Oxbridge.

Please give us a break from all your cant. Enough.

That's hysterical. Thanks for enlivening our evening.

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

just taking a quick look at the tennis - loads of empty seats, as there have been at every venue I've tuned into today

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Nurse!!!!!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• anotherbob
                • Sep 2011

While browsing "LA REPUBLICCA" website the Memsahib was amused by this short video clip involving the German Sporting director Walther Troeger, Boris Johnson and the fragrant Camilla.

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

If Burley, once a private management consultant to the NHS and now close to David Cameron, had been responsible for Isles of Wonder, I assume that there would have been Nazi party costumes. What though of his own vision of Britain? Here is his current girlfriend, a fellow Oxbridge graduate and a Conservative Councillor. She is hoping to be a Member of Parliament soon.

She looks rather over-qualified to me.

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

The husband half of my ex-neighbours always wore those tight calf-clinging black nylon shorts ubiquitous to the cyclist clone brigade of homogenized fellow travellers. Didn't this affect his family aspirations, I asked his wife one day? "I often wondered about that", she replied.
                    I believe they also do strange things with bananas. But this may not be true.

Comment

• Northender

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      just taking a quick look at the tennis - loads of empty seats, as there have been at every venue I've tuned into today
                      Apparently most of the empty seats were those given away as part of what I like to call Corporate Hostility. Sir Seb has threatened to get really angry with the no-shows. (Yeah, right...)

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        For those who didn't watch until the end or missed it completely the Ceremony is now on iplayer, minus commentary, and available until January 2013 and with a running time of 230mins presumably without parade of the athletes. I intend to watch it again at some stage.
                        Link?

What on Earth were they playing at, singing Arglwydd, arwain trwy’r anialwch in that decidedly rough and unready English version.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                          Apparently most of the empty seats were those given away as part of what I like to call Corporate Hostility.
                          Inevitable really. They're dished out like sweeties to people for increasing their sales or whatever, & they have no ingterest in or commitment to going. It's the same with concerts. How many 'sold out' Proms have plenty of empty seats?

Comment

• Pegleg
                            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            OK, gosh, I feel like I am ambushed in my underwear. OK, now, how's the thing, thing is the thing. Cyclists. Blokes, undies. Nobbly bits, don't want them on view. Well, to be honest, who does??
                            Sorry, what was the question?
                            Quite agree about the lycra thing. The celebrations of the rowing crews will be eye catching for all the wrong reasons. It brings a new meaning to warnings about flash photography.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pegleg View Post
                              Quite agree about the lycra thing. The celebrations of the rowing crews will be eye catching for all the wrong reasons.
                              Oh I don't know?!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                'tis done....
                                Well, Colonel, that's excellent. I am really quite flattered that this thread, which I started as a bit of nonsense really, has run to (currently) post #584!

OG

Comment

Working...
                                X