X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Exactly ........ apart from all the Welsh it missed out of course, who are, Irish or Scottish !!
    Seriously, there was a lot to take in and I look forward to viewing it again.
    Now, the Closing Ceremony. It has Stephen Baldrey again and the theme is "British Symphonic Music" but the Director I see is responsible for Take That and Robbie Williams ............... So I expect we will see his wonderful interpretation of "I Did it My Way" And, talking about that, what happened to Team GB in the cycling today???
    I spent three hours on the Olympics Fest last night and six hours on that bike race today, although admittedly neither had my undivided attention. Individual effort won the day rather than the team tactics espoused by GB. This for me is more satisfactory even though our man missed his Gold Medal. Nice pictures of the Surrey Hills. I'm out tomorrow so will miss everything.

Comment

• Pegleg
      • Apr 2012

And, talking about that, what happened to Team GB in the cycling today???
      They lost, missed the vital moves. I can't imagine Alexandr Vinokurov was on many people's list of potential Gold medalists, but what a way to end your pro cycling career. I'm not sure what you expected, but there seemed to be an awful lot of chicken counting going on in the press and the "Manx Missile" is not short of self-publicity. If he had been anywhere near the front in the last 500m I'd have expected gold, but it wasn't to be. You can't fault the lads for effort.

There's still the women's road race tomorrow, and TT and track and BMX, it's not over yet and I'd love to see Vicky Pendelton win Gold outright, 2-0 v. Anna Meares.
      Last edited by Pegleg; 28-07-12, 17:27. Reason: correction

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pegleg View Post
        They lost, missed the vital moves. I can't imagine Alexandr Vinokurov was on many people's list of potential Gold medalists, but what a way to end your pro cycling career. I'm not sure what you expected, but there seemed to be an awful lot of chicken counting going on in the press and the "Manx Missile" is not short of self-publicity. If he had been anywhere near the front in the last 500m I'd have expected gold, but it wasn't to be. You can't fault the lads for effort.

There's still the women's road race tomorrow, and TT and track and BMX, it's not over yet and I'd love to see Vicky Pendelton win Gold outright, 2-0 v. Anna Meares.
        Time for a pro-Games thread, n'est-ce pas? (to quote Monsieur Rogge )

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          I spent three hours on the Olympics Fest last night and six hours on that bike race today, although admittedly neither had my undivided attention. Individual effort won the day rather than the team tactics espoused by GB. This for me is more satisfactory even though our man missed his Gold Medal. Nice pictures of the Surrey Hills. I'm out tomorrow so will miss everything.
          I agree - was great to see a good old-fashioned tactical battle up the mall, the old fox selling his oppo the dummy perfectly... Amazing to see the 2nd place man out-thought so clearly!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Time for a pro-Games thread, n'est-ce pas (to quote Monsieur Rogge ) .
            OMG, Yes!! And I don't do Sport (I might walk quickly to the bus stop, sometimes a jog) but the cycling today had me screaming at the Olympic Organisers "get the captions and the leaders up there and the time differences and don't let the commentors not know who is an Italian and, well, someone wearing blue, who is not an Italian"

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

OMG, Yes!!
              'tis done....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                'tis done....
                See you there!

Comment

• Don Petter

OMG, Yes!! And I don't do Sport (I might walk quickly to the bus stop, sometimes a jog) but the cycling today had me screaming at the Olympic Organisers "get the captions and the leaders up there and the time differences and don't let the commentors not know who is an Italian and, well, someone wearing blue, who is not an Italian"
                  The BBC were insistent that it wasn't their fault. For not receiving time information maybe, but surely much of the the identification of riders should result from the 'homework' of the commentators? Phil Liggett and Co seem to be able to name them from a glimpse of a toenail.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                    The BBC were insistent that it wasn't their fault. For not receiving time information maybe, but surely much of the the identification of riders should result from the 'homework' of the commentators? Phil Liggett and Co seem to be able to name them from a glimpse of a toenail.
                    I have appended a similar remark on the Kernel's shiny new thread

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna
                      This could be fun ...... or total chaos!! Gotta be worth a punt. I shall stand back and await, I have nothing to lose.
                      Not like you to hold back Ducks! Give in to it, unburden yersself!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Not like you to hold back Ducks! Give in to it, unburden yersself!
                        OK, gosh, I feel like I am ambushed in my underwear. OK, now, how's the thing, thing is the thing. Cyclists. Blokes, undies. Nobbly bits, don't want them on view. Well, to be honest, who does??
                        Sorry, what was the question?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

OK, gosh, I feel like I am ambushed in my underwear. OK, now, how's the thing, thing is the thing. Cyclists. Blokes, undies. Nobbly bits, don't want them on view. Well, to be honest, who does??
                          Sorry, what was the question?

The husband half of my ex-neighbours always wore those tight calf-clinging black nylon shorts ubiquitous to the cyclist clone brigade of homogenized fellow travellers. Didn't this affect his family aspirations, I asked his wife one day? "I often wondered about that", she replied.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Lat, there's just been a still of the NHS sequence on the News. It is a baby, completely wrapped in grey bandages, i.e., mummified, a corpse.

The MP Aidan Burley who tweeted about " this leftish, multicultural carp" was also on the News just now. He said he had no problems with multiculturalism but objected to the "overtly political images"
                            Thank you for the clarification Anna. I spent the day in a different part of the North Downs from the cyclists. A little known place which cost £4.50 admission and that included a free cream tea. It was not simply the best display of anything I have seen this weekend but probably the most attractive place I have ever been to within 15 miles of my home in nearly 50 years. I was amazed by its quiet and yet dramatic beauty and there was hardly a soul there. I am also sworn to secrecy about its location.

If Burley, once a private management consultant to the NHS and now close to David Cameron, had been responsible for Isles of Wonder, I assume that there would have been Nazi party costumes. What though of his own vision of Britain? Here is his current girlfriend, a fellow Oxbridge graduate and a Conservative Councillor. She is hoping to be a Member of Parliament soon.

Last edited by Guest; 28-07-12, 18:32.

Comment

• Pegleg
                              • Apr 2012

I double-checked the records, and as I thought we've never done better than a silver medal in the men's road race - Freddie Grubb 1912, Frank Southall 1928. In fact Freddie Grubb won two silvers in 1912. He retired from competitive cycling after a short pro career as early as 1914 and went into the cycle trade (Brixton, Croydon, WImbledon). His family finally sold the "Grubb" name to Holdworth in 1952. Reeds cycles in Kingston Road S.Wimbledon was once my local proper cycle shop and I very nearly bought a a very nice red F.Grubb 531BD frame in my younger days, but it was slightly too small. I ended up building a bike around a Claud Butler frame instead.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                                Here is his current girlfriend, a fellow Oxbridge graduate
                                ... and your point is ?

Comment

Working...
                                X